IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For me it was $7032 including taxes and maybe some optional stuff.
I found the check book summary booklet.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New This is the reverse of "the computer I want syndrome"
My first computer was a 486. That's the first computer I ever bought for myself. Before that moment every computer I ever worked on was provided by an employer.

I went all out on that computer. I took a loan out for that computer and paid my boss back for about 6 months. That computer cost me $4,000.

Every computer I've ever specked out from that moment forward for my personal use cost about $4,000. The technology got better. The monitors got better. The CPUs got faster and cheaper along with the memory. But I always wanted more more. So I would configure computers in the $4,000 range and be happy.

Right now I'd be very happy with a $500 system but I just don't care anymore. Phone 99% of the time, Chromebook when I really need a screen that big but I'm not throwing my phone to the huge TV.

And yes, I know I can throw the Chromebook at the screen. The phone's good enough.
New This was for hobby work at home.
I had bought a Radio Shack TRS-80 16K - Level II. That's 16 KB memory! It had a Z-80 processor and a Basic language interpreter. It cost me $779, i.e. less than the printer! I modified it by adding memory and also adding a memory chip to the display circuitry so it displayed lower case letters.

At that time I was working for IBM developing code for (4700) controllers that operated devices at bank branches. The controllers were connected to IBM mainframe computers at bank processing centers via modems. The banks had Apps that ran on these controllers and communicated with bank staff on various terminals, put stuff out om printers, etc. Bank transaction data would then be sent to bank's mainframes. You can look at 4700 System Overview to get a feeling of what the system was like.

But the development work was on IBM mainframes on VM/370 system while using 3270 terminal. In later years when I had the IBM PC it was possible to use a modem and work from home.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Lots of commonality!
One of my first temp jobs after grad school was working for a small company in Dayton that sold banking software (a clone of NCR's Banker80, I think) that ran on 286s. I was hired to be a typist because I knew WordPerfect. They then wanted me to work on some new fangled thing called "hypertext" for their Help system. It was kind of a disaster because they wanted me to translate the jargon into English as well as do the data entry and link-making. It was ungodly slow on a 286 - "that's Ok, we'll just sell them faster computers!". Someone else took it over after I flailed around at it for a week or so - I don't know if they ever made anything useful with it.

I bought my first computer of my very own a few years later - a Gateway 486/25 SCSI system that was $4000. And about $1000 cheaper 6 months later. :-/ Put a 486/66 in it a year or two later.

My dad got me a Sinclair ZX something or other when I was a kid, but I never could see the point of it. I mean it was amazing for $99 or whatever it was, but what could it do that was actually interesting? Ooh! I can calculate pi!! WooHoo!! :-/

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New ZX-80?
That one was pretty rudimentary.

My first machine was a ZX-81 (nominally 1Kb RAM, but I splurged and got the 16Kb pack.) It was good enough to send me down this career path.
     My first printer. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
         How much did a new car cost then; $5,000? $10,000? So 10-20 % of the cost of a new car? -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
             Well, a new Chevrolet Citation was about $6K at that time. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 Yeah, the Citation, Cimarron, and their badge-engineered brethren from Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Agree on the fanfold paper. - (a6l6e6x)
                 For me it was $7032 including taxes and maybe some optional stuff. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                     This is the reverse of "the computer I want syndrome" - (crazy) - (3)
                         This was for hobby work at home. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Lots of commonality! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 ZX-80? - (scoenye)

Yeah, would be nice if "despair" wasn't such an appropriate word choice.
53 ms