IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As I said, the US has no mechanism for states to leave on their own
The main difference is that and the war thing (which isn't much of an issue given NATO). The EU is still young, and I imagine there were more similarities to back when the US was formed. Give it a few hundred years and the EU could be in a similar position.

Other similarities: the EU participates in treaties, and there's freedom of travel, occupation, and living arrangements - as that worked example of yours is discovering.

Also, it's that devolving of legislative ability that's key here. There's really fuck-all I can do to affect what goes on in Texas, and I feel a lot more sympatico with the foreign country across the river from me than I do with the Republic of Texas.

So, perfect analogy? No, of course not. But it's nowhere near as cut and dried as CRC would have us believe.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, so get back to us with your as-of-now-false equivalence in a couple hundred years.
     And, as everyone said it would happen - (lincoln) - (31)
         Like... Sees a dog, and her -=immediate=- reaction is to shoot[*] it? - (CRConrad) - (30)
             I'm glad the dog is okay - (crazy) - (1)
                 Context matters, too - (drook)
             Re: Like... Sees a dog, and her -=immediate=- reaction is to shoot[*] it? - (lincoln) - (27)
                 Texans are Americans. Invite them to use their secession option, or own them. -NT - (CRConrad) - (26)
                     My plan is . . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     The first has been prohibited since the Civil War - (malraux) - (16)
                         No, the other meaning of "own": This is your mess, own it. - (CRConrad) - (15)
                             Yeah, I knew what you meant. - (malraux) - (14)
                                 Yeah, I still don't get that. The French are not in a Union with Turkey, and didn't elect Erdogan. -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                     The EU and the US are not (yet) analogous -NT - (pwhysall)
                                     Ah, thought they had been ratified. Hungary then. - (malraux) - (11)
                                         Don't forget the Vermont Republic ;-) -NT - (scoenye)
                                         EU Law is really quite optional - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             As I said, the US has no mechanism for states to leave on their own - (malraux) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, so get back to us with your as-of-now-false equivalence in a couple hundred years. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         You've got your levels mixed up. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                             Well, I have noticed the regression of Turkey. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                                 from the news reports it is now a thugocracy as opposed to a theocracy - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     I'm with BOx, except one small edit: A thugocracy albeit (rather flimsily) *disguised as* theocracy. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                         Hasn't that been true of most of them? -NT - (drook)
                                                     Whenever Turkey is in the news, it's always worse than we thought. - (Another Scott)
                                                     Re: You have a point. :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     Texans are a subset of Americans - (lincoln) - (7)
                         But, they can split into 5 states, if I recall correctly. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                             Oh, was that theirs? I may have misremembered the option. Thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Ironically, that limit does not apply to other states - (scoenye) - (3)
                                 As I got it, this was a boon, not a limit: Up to 5, Texas can just do it - it's pre-approved. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     It applied to the Republic of Texas - (scoenye) - (1)
                                         If Californians keep moving to Texas . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Yes, that's what "Texans are Americans" means. Welcome to remedial first-grade English. -NT - (CRConrad)

Does that mean my tea's made?
56 ms