IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Capping off 2020
https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/19/arecibo_telescope_decommissioned/
The Arecibo Observatory, America’s largest radio telescope, is to be blown up after the National Science Foundation decided recent damage has left it too dangerous to repair.

:-(
New Yep, it's a sad situation.
It was the source of a lot of SETI data.

I remember at one point having 1 Windows and 3 Linux running desktop towers running 24/7 processing that data. I got to 99.6% level of contributors.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Now one of those new monster chips could process the entire history of SETI@Home in a day
--

Drew
New Speaking of the search for ET Intelligence . . .
. . I have written a short treatise explaining the thin probability of success.

Extra Terrestrial Intelligence
New And I heard it only took 6 days to get where we are. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New And ... it is gone.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/01/arecibo_collapse/

Apparently the last cables snapped and the instrument platform crashed into the dish.
New "Klaatu barada nicto, ¡coñyoYA!"
..says one irascible commenator..

Perusing the (google == bad-translate) from my once better Español:
Seems that the Government maintenance--access roads on through entire construction--has been as miserable as ..all the scurrilous machinations (via US and the greedheads in charge) of this benighted but beautiful place: is being excoriated in most of the comments.

Sic transit Gloria Phillipines--fat chance in a near-bankrupt world, of any replacement soon :-/

(I didn't much flinch when the 'Bevatron' complex got scrapped); after all, it had accelerated everything on the Periodic Chart (well, to 6.2 GeV/C anyway)
--not that the dis-US later ran with the beautiful Bragg-peak of heavy-ions, sharp as a surgeon's scalpel--for further use on humans, of these remarkable capabilities.
Japan built a H.I. accelerator, ..tiny compared with the tandem accelerators needed at LBL: with energy range re humans. Last I heard, we built zippo.

But Arecibo was right Up-there in modern relevance to scoping the Galaxies. (Bloody-Bezos could fund a replacement--just out of grift profits from COVID).
New 900 ton instrument platform ... oof
--

Drew
     Capping off 2020 - (scoenye) - (8)
         Yep, it's a sad situation. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Now one of those new monster chips could process the entire history of SETI@Home in a day -NT - (drook)
         Speaking of the search for ET Intelligence . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             And I heard it only took 6 days to get where we are. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         And ... it is gone. - (scoenye) - (3)
             "Klaatu barada nicto, ¡coñyoYA!" - (Ashton)
             Video. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 900 ton instrument platform ... oof -NT - (drook)