IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nobody new.
Some 30,000 of the total are airport security personell.

Another couple thousand federal air marshalls.

The Secret Service (already exists)

The Coast Guard (already exists)

They're all >already there<...now they just have a new boss. (or will...most likely Ridge)

And the boss will now require congressional approval...so they can veto shrub.

Thought you'd be happy with at least >that< part.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Aw, there you go spoiling the fun.
It's hard to have a proper self-righteous conniption fit when people keep bringing up inconvenient facts.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New You mean there's no breeding program in effect?
Nobody new.

Then you go on to detail people who had not previously been involved in this as their primary responsibility.

Now, to me, that sounds like Somebody new.

They're all >already there<...now they just have a new boss. (or will...most likely Ridge)
Like I said, no new breeding program.

But combining the SS and CG into one organization isn't bringing new people to that organization?

Noting that the plan would move the Coast Guard, the Secret Service and other units to the new department, he said that would give the secretary of homeland security responsibility for:

Counterfeit and credit card fraud, handled by the Secret Service.

Oil spill cleanups, recreational water safety and enforcement of fisheries laws, handled by the Coast Guard.

Pest control, handled by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

Response to floods and hurricanes, handled by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Regulating commercial activities and collecting duties on shipments, handled by the Customs Service.

And the design of nuclear weapons and scientific programs handled by the Department of Energy's Livermore Lab.

"By the administration's own estimates, the new Homeland Security Department would employ at least 160,000 people," Obey said in a written statement.
Ring
Ring
Ring
"Thank you for calling Homeland Security. How may we assist you?"

"I'd like to report a 'possum that's been going through our garbage."

"Thank you, we'll get right on it. Have you seen any terrorists around lately?"

"No. No terrorists. Just that 'possum. Do you think the 'possum might be working for Osama?"

"We'll get right on it."

Ring
Ring
Ring
"Thank you for calling Homeland Security. How may we assist you?"

"I'd like to report a credit card fraud incident."

"Thank you, we'll get right on it. Have you seen any terrorists around lately?"

"No. Do you think that the person with the fake credit card might have been a terrorist?"

"We'll get right on it."

and so on.
New Nope. But have anything change...
...in Washington and you're sure to get alot of chest-beating about how they're turning the government into Big Brother.

There is exactly 2 differences in what he announced and what is being already happening. One is congressional approval of the person in charge. 2 is reporting hierarchy.

<sarcasm>Damn...must be the beginning of the SS in the US!!!</sarcasm>

ring
ring

"Hello...and thank you for calling "Over-reactions R Us"

New You don't pay much attention to the news, do you?
Nope. But have anything change...

...in Washington and you're sure to get alot of chest-beating about how they're turning the government into Big Brother.
Hmmm, perhaps you managed to miss the fact that the government is now imprisioning people and denying them the right to see an attourney and not releasing their names?

How soon they forget.

Not to mention removing certain restrictions on wire taps.

Now certain agencies who had VERY distinct and different mission before are being combined into one.

No, no problems that I see. None at all.
New OK, Mr. Smartypants...
What the over/under for the amount of time this ">already< there" Dept. sponsors legislation mandating a national ID card, in months?

(For the record, I give it till Feb03, so that makes my bet 8. I suspect that the over/under would be 7, as we don't want to even suggest it before the Holy Elections. Hmmmm... I guess that makes be betting the Over, which, I suppose, make me an optimist. Egad....!)
jb4
"I remember Harry S. Truman's sign on his desk. 'The buck stops here.' Strange how those words, while still true, mean something completely different today." -- Brandioch
New I'm on the >over<
They essentially already have one.

Its called an SSN.

It just doesn't have your picture on it.

You get it when you're born.

New I didn't get mine until I was 16...
Ahhh, the good ol' days...
jb4
"I remember Harry S. Truman's sign on his desk. 'The buck stops here.' Strange how those words, while still true, mean something completely different today." -- Brandioch
New Except that...
legally speaking...a social security card can't be used for identification purposes. (It's against the law.)
New Yeah...thats a good one, ain't it?

New Yepperz...just like
the CIA can't share information with the FBI. :-)
New (You were expecting 'consistency' too? from Ashcroft et al)
New Re: Yepperz...just like
Except no one gets the "Inquisition" when they require an SSN.

New What really matters
By your logic (and since we've already abrogated Godwin), the Nazi party in Germany was merely a reorgainization of the 17 million people (they already existed), businesses (they already existed), gymnastics clubs (they already existed), civil organizations (they already existed), and army (it already existed), with some minor rebranding and logo changes (and I wonder why I'm still so innately averse to such things).

Fact is: organization is the most important thing, after innate existence, in determining the function, flow, and nature of things. Ask anyone who's assembled a crossword puzzle (or carburator) what the difference between a pile of parts and the assembled product is. Or of the assembly missing, say, a ball float.

If organization didn't matter, we'd pay it no heed in business, sports, or government. Thing is...we do pay it much heed.

Go figure.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?

Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.
[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/...a_alert.html]]
     Iceberg? - (Brandioch) - (100)
         The Department of Homeland Securistazi - (jb4) - (99)
             Nobody new. - (bepatient) - (13)
                 Aw, there you go spoiling the fun. - (marlowe)
                 You mean there's no breeding program in effect? - (Brandioch) - (2)
                     Nope. But have anything change... - (bepatient) - (1)
                         You don't pay much attention to the news, do you? - (Brandioch)
                 OK, Mr. Smartypants... - (jb4) - (7)
                     I'm on the >over< - (bepatient) - (6)
                         I didn't get mine until I was 16... - (jb4)
                         Except that... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                             Yeah...thats a good one, ain't it? -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                                 Yepperz...just like - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     (You were expecting 'consistency' too? from Ashcroft et al) -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Re: Yepperz...just like - (bepatient)
                 What really matters - (kmself)
             Stazi? The Register calls it Gestapo - (Andrew Grygus) - (84)
                 It's not brown shirt - (rsf)
                 Toothsome morsel from your eChampions screed: - (jb4) - (82)
                     Aren't you forgetting one little inconvenient fact... - (bepatient) - (79)
                         Thank you for pointing out the (now regular) irony - (Ashton) - (22)
                             It can never be... - (bepatient) - (21)
                                 Er.. 'irony' means - (Ashton)
                                 So..Republicans are "bad" and Democrats are "good"? - (Brandioch) - (19)
                                     Are you that big of an idiot? - (bepatient) - (18)
                                         In case you are... - (bepatient)
                                         I'm still not following your "logic". - (Brandioch) - (16)
                                             I guess you are. - (bepatient) - (15)
                                                 Ummm, remember, you are the one with the memory problem. - (Brandioch) - (14)
                                                     I should learn to expect this.. - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                         So you're changing your story? - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                                             Brandioch's IQ strikes a new low. - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                                 Let's take this chronologically, shall we? - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                                     Poor baby just can't seem to get it right. - (bepatient) - (9)
                                                                         Oh, I get it. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                                                                             Ah...semantics. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                 No semantics. - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                                                     Whatever - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                         [Contest!] ___ Such 'plans' are not Meant to be understood, - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                                             Mental... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                                 So then perhaps you even agree (!) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                     Two options. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                         Precisely. Agreed. - (Ashton)
                         Inconvenience is so...inconvenient... - (jb4) - (55)
                             9-7 - (bepatient) - (54)
                                 Bepatient...you have to chalk up their complaints.... - (Simon_Jester) - (43)
                                     So Bush is only implementing the Hart/Rudman proposal? - (Brandioch) - (42)
                                         Closer to Lieberman's proposal - (bepatient) - (41)
                                             Technically "closer", I guess. - (Brandioch) - (40)
                                                 Perhaps you missed... - (bepatient) - (39)
                                                     Seems you flunked English, too. - (Brandioch) - (38)
                                                         Laugh. It was an absolute reference. - (bepatient) - (37)
                                                             If you want to play that way. - (Brandioch) - (36)
                                                                 Perfect. - (bepatient) - (35)
                                                                     Ah, your memory again. - (Brandioch) - (34)
                                                                         Sad. - (bepatient) - (33)
                                                                             Ah, I see. - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                                                 No. The admission should already be made. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     Logic is beyond you, isn't it? - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                         OT: Amusing how you two are cooperating... - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                                             Yeah.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                             Spelling should be logical. :) - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                 I'm with you on that point. English could have more logic. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                             Do I espy a tiny clue-let lying behind these exercises in - (Ashton) - (25)
                                                                                 Ferchrissakes. - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                                                     But Of Course! - the thread was doomed to death by - (Ashton) - (18)
                                                                                         Follow the bouncing threads. - (bepatient) - (16)
                                                                                             That's bullshit. - (Brandioch) - (15)
                                                                                                 Chuckle - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                                                                     And this is the reason you don't ever state your position. - (Brandioch) - (13)
                                                                                                         Nope. - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                                             Let me explain ONE thing to you. - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                                                                 Nitwit 101. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                                     Oh that is too good. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                                                                                         That pretty much settles it... - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                             Awww, are the facts too much for you? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                                                                                 So when you make things up, they're facts??? -NT - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                                     You must provide support for you statement. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                                                                                                         Simple. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                             And once again, you lie. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                 Wow. There must be a new definition - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                     No new definition. Look up "chronology". - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                         Please use the strawman login...and this isn't usenet - (bepatient)
                                                                                         I think you give him far too much credit. - (Brandioch)
                                                                                     ROTFLMAO... Hello, my name is Dan and I'm a - (screamer)
                                                                                     french redux. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                         Yum... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                             Ahh.. candied Repo brains, prolly. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                 Can I at least have... - (bepatient)
                                 So what? - (jb4) - (9)
                                     Nice to hear you say it. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                         Mind if I ask a silly question? - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                             Not a silly question. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                 Now that.... I can agree with. -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                                                 Re: shuffle of the deck - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                     I gotta agree with Ted on that. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                         Dilbert's been there for quite a while. -NT - (bepatient)
                                         Perhaps I just start calling you "Red" - (jb4) - (1)
                                             That'll work... - (bepatient)
                     The word from Mordor is..... - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         Thar be Dragons_______\ufffdThere\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)

Reese's Pieces? Am I in a different pit this time?
115 ms