IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rosetta and Philae comet landing
Philae lander to make contact with comet 67P.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta

SCIENCE, BITCHES!
New I'm tuned in to XKCD for the live feed
--

Drew
New Cheering from the control room
No images yet, but it sounds good.

[edit] I need to stop watching the live feed. There won't be pictures for a while yet, so it's just a bunch of guys with funny accents talking about telemetry and looking nervous.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 12, 2014, 11:08:28 AM EST
New It's down safe.
Fuck yeah!
New According to XKCD ...
... and I don't know what feed he's following ... they're no longer sure the harpoons worked. Anxious ...
--

Drew
New Woot, woot, woot!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New NYT has usual brilliant graphics, pics of situation
here. Earlier summary here.

Some pithy comments (Replies open @RH margin)

jlunine Ithaca, NY Yesterday
I second your point. NASA had a chance to do this first--the Comet Rendezvous and Astroid Flyby mission (CRAF) was designed to carry a penetrator to directly sample the nucleus of Comet Kopff. That mission was cancelled by Congress in 1992. There was to have been a second lander on Rosetta, named Champollion, jointly funded between the US and France, but NASA backed out of that one in 1996--leaving only the single lander, Philae. As a scientific co-investigator on both of those projects I can only say that NASA's role in Rosetta--contributions to three scientific instruments--was small at best. Today's success belongs to the Europeans.

[. . .]

Lawrence Eaton Los Angeles, CA Yesterday
From climate change to ISIS, all has lately seemed quite hopeless. Here is not only a reason to cheer, but a powerful reminder that science is our only hope for reversing the potential destruction of "life as we know it" being wrought by greed and ignorance. Go scientists! Now let's figure out how to inspire our children to achieve in science by making sure they understand that scientists are the only true superheroes.

[...]

David Brooklyn 11 hours ago
Did anyone notice the photo of three mission leaders embracing? Two men and a woman! To paraphrase, "one giant step for a woman and a giant leap for all of us." I hope every parent shows this photo to their daughters and sons. Somewhere Sally Ride is smiling.

Anti-intellectual US ain't new; now it's worse that (ever?? remains to be seen)
Because:

Southern Boy Spring Hill, TN 12 hours ago
The Bible is clear on the origins of the earth and the stars. I don't understand why man can't just accept that and go on. Spend all this money on something practical and truly useful rather than mere speculation.

[point-counterpoint]

curtis dickinson Worcester 12 hours ago
Incredible stuff. This science stuff juxtaposed with Christianity blows my mind. The more science links us to god, the beginning of everything, the easier it will be for the church to let go of the story of jesus and the bible. Makes me proud to be amongst this era of humanity.

New Day 3 summary from Telegraph/UK
Here.

Pity.. that 10 years ago they had not the battery power-density of today :-/
Cosmic ill-Humour re the recalcitrant Two! gadgets.. for screwing-In instead of -Up. :-/
(They were Right that these devices were bloody-necessary; +1 for foresight.)

[Optional, some comments exchanged with a physics cohort
And a suggestion..
tyrellcorporation • 14 hours ago
Just a wild idea but if they located the lander could they re-orient Rosetta to reflect sunlight onto it? Apparently the solar panels are the length of 3 double deckers.
And an opinion..
daviecrockett • 2 days ago
I find the entertainment and interest value of the Rosetta project much greater than that of all the Football World Cups, Formula One meetings, Olympic Games and Superbowls together, so for that reason alone it's justified. Sorry for the thickies who can't appreciate that, just move over for once.
And mine: me too..
What an exquisitely choreographed crash-course in the genius of Newton and the n-folk standing on his shoulders, since.. We'll never know fershure IF.. the screw-in device really could have functioned [torque!] as tested, hoped--but only in our 1 G grav. field--(I guess..) How Do you simulate a .001 G field? More accurately: simulate such, within a static field 1000X stronger. A game of pocket billiards with dandelions?

Lastly, a bit of Econ:
Barry Kort moscowhead • 2 days ago
1.4 billion euros over 10 years works out to less than 2 euros per person, or a measly 20 cents a year per European taxpayer.
The average person will spend 2 euros on a cup of coffee and the daily paper, just to sit down and read the story.
Compare that to the $3 trillion Americans paid for 10 years of pointless war in Afghanistan and the Middle East. That cost each American $10,000, or $1000 a year. I'd say the Europeans got a much better return for a whole lot less money.

Thou. sayest.
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 15, 2014, 02:52:00 AM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 15, 2014, 06:33:55 AM EST
New How to test the screws
Suspend the lander and a comet-analogue sideways by very long wires. The longer the wires, the more consistent the artificial gravity as the objects move. Move the suspension points closer or farther apart to simulate different gravities. See if the screws push them apart or dig in.
--

Drew
New Tan 90° is handy for that, of course.
Nicely reasoned.

Prelude:
You have a massless, infinitely strong 'wire' with mass M attached.
Theoretically a gnat's wing brushing this (infinitesimally-thin) wire produces an infinite force.
Did everyone get that 'Problem' in a test?

Yeah, for a mere 0.001 G (and lots of calibrations of the non-ideal Osmium tungstate wire's modulus/elasticity): could get you some ballpark results.
'Course that's in 2-D. Should make a lovely physics Final Q. But in 3-D when the torque, screw config/shape are added-in.

Wonder how they modeled it, because when you try to estimate any "realistic" volume avge. density for the comet
ya gets a family of possible solutions re the pitch, necessary length of the drill-bit. Some Problem!

Guess: maybe they did use 'wires', after the computer simulations? with all the various moduli in a humongous equation Pity about the Mass problem (for every piece of equipment aboard): you must have wanted to bracket the solutions and have a bizarre screw shape, starting with thin at the point and going to gradually coarser 'threads' along the permissible length. I see, too: 'radius of gyration' amidst the clutter.
Betting that aerogel was one medium employed.

Base-problem: Time! Ya gots to get the gadget to function during the initial n Sec of compressive contact; embedding must complete ... before the whatever tensile strength of the surface gets tested! Pisser.. not now to know if all their machinations were close-enough.

(Let's do it again, but heavier modules, more boost into orbits than planetary slingshots, etc.) Use the entire dis-US Military Budget: make jobs/but with no collateral-deaths in the expenditures.

New "Soil Type: Hardness ranging from fluffy snow to basalt"
http://www.dlr.de/rd/Portaldata/28/Resources/dokumente/rx/Philae_Lander_FactSheets.pdf (12 page .pdf)

The text is part of an image, so I can't easily copy and paste. :-(

Lots of interesting technology in the little beastie.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Quite interesting. Thank you.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Is Rosetta close enough to get pics of Philae? Could it *get* close enough?
I know nominal mission end is in January, because Philae is expected to be too hot by then. If Rosetta is also expected to burn up, I'd really love for them to fly her in close enough for an actual photo of Philae on the surface first.
--

Drew
New Doesn't sound like that is part of the plan.
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Frequently_asked_questions

How long will the Rosetta spacecraft operate?
Rosetta’s planned lifetime is about 12 years. The nominal mission ends in December 2015, after the comet reaches its closest point to the Sun (in August 2015) and starts heading back towards the outer Solar System.

How long will the lander operate on the comet nucleus?
The Rosetta lander, called Philae, will touch down on the comet's surface on 12 November 2014. The science observations will start immediately. During the first 2.5 days the first series of scientific measurements will be completed. During this phase the lander will operate on primary battery power. In a second phase that may last up to three months, a secondary set of observations will be conducted, using backup batteries that will be recharged by the energy from the solar cells on the lander. However, no one knows precisely how long the lander will survive on the comet.

Could activity on the comet's surface damage or destroy the lander?
Survival of the lander depends on a number of factors, such as power supply, temperature, or surface activity on the comet. For example, dust may cover the solar panels, preventing the battery from recharging. In any case, by March 2015, when the comet is closer to the Sun, it is likely that the lander will become too hot to operate.

It sounds like they will be doing science with Rosetta even after Philae stops working. Apparently the camera on Rosetta has a resolution of 2 cm per pixel at its normal operating conditions.

November 15 report:

From now on, no contact will be possible unless sufficient sunlight falls on the solar panels to generate enough power to wake it up. The possibility that this may happen later in the mission was boosted when mission controllers sent commands to rotate the lander’s main body with its fixed solar panels. This should have exposed more panel area to sunlight.

The next possible communication slot begins on 15 November at about 10:00 GMT / 11:00 CET. The orbiter will listen for a signal, and will continue doing so each time its orbit brings it into line-of-sight visibility with Philae. However, given the low recharge current coming from the solar panels at this time, it is unlikely that contact will be re-established with the lander in the near future.

Meanwhile, the Rosetta orbiter has been moving back into a 30 km orbit around the comet.

It will return to a 20 km orbit on 6 December and continue its mission to study the body in great detail as the comet becomes more active, en route to its closest encounter with the Sun on 13 August next year.

Over the coming months, Rosetta will start to fly in more distant ‘unbound’ orbits, while performing a series of daring flybys past the comet, some within just 8 km of its centre.

Maybe they'll find it during one of the 8km "fly bys".

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Scott.
New They finally found Philae!
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/rosetta-probe-finds-philae-lander-comet-crack/

An extreme close-up of the Philae lander shows components of the 3-foot-wide spacecraft from a distance of 1.7 miles. (Credit: ESA / Rosetta / MPS for OSIRIS Team / UPD / LAM / IAA / SSO / INTA / UPM / DASP / IDA)

Poor thing! :-(

(via Alan Boyle on G+)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Best video game in the world
--

Drew
New "I. Apathy and A. Peter" are boffins of the 'DIM' module"
Love. It. (Wish the pics were better quality.) Thanks for the sleuthing.

While their comments don't state specifically, does it not look as if they indeed tried to anticipate the fact that the largely un-testable landing MO had many ways to send the sucker all golly-wampus?
And given their use of a Primary-cell for initial power (presumably for max. energy density) it looks as if quite enough of the roster got attended-to, from first contact; haven't yet checked-in today, to see if that snazzy sample probe got somehow to acquire some evanescent samples

The ESS (elect. support sys.) must have been a test of all logic yet explored re. Fail-safe, redundancy, idiot-proofing; hope they pass on whatever was innovative (12? 14 years ago) to see if it could have been built any better, at all(?)

Maybe a benign confluence, free via warming-assistance can reposition the lander enough for enough energy to try clever commands.. like using the legs' K.E. as "rockers", pushers etc. Anyway, deeming this to be some sort of massive failure, is an insult to all responsible for this near-perfect field-trip, ongoing.

Beats the NYT Crossword for Science Suspense..
New Kudos and some grumbling over reports to date..
at least the kibitzers are literate, as the Standard Model predictions, recaps of the inertial-hammer & screw are dissected (in the pop-up blogs for each Topic.)

Kibitzers here seem disdainful of the performance (after 10 Years! in stasis..) and are already imputing some cover-ups within esa's offered interpretations of the first data releases; seems a bit pissy to me. After this long a wait and all those n! risks, I deem this attitude churlish; after all, the assumptions in overall design are today 13+ years out of date. Pity about the failures in harpoons, but such was well within the long-Odds, byotches.

Tonight on PBS, a reprise: To Catch a Comet. So far, some good pics, comments. Nice lab demo of sublimation (there was some surprise that a coma was forming this early on G.) They had to do a record-long burn to accelerate closure. Etc. Then the nascent coma stopped! Suspense..
One thing is unarguable: these Euro guys know how to compute celestial mechanics to a fare-thee-well; had a couple small things occurred with Curiosity's check-list ... well, you know.
New Re: how to compute
It helps to use only one system of measurements. In this case it's metric.

Furlongs per fortnight for speed and mousefarts for force might work also. But, I have my doubts. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Given that...
I consider myself lucky I can get the snowblower to fire up without having to take it apart to the de-ice the carburator, having some things not wanting to move after 10+ years in the ultimate deep freezer is not all that shabby.
     Rosetta and Philae comet landing - (pwhysall) - (20)
         I'm tuned in to XKCD for the live feed -NT - (drook)
         Cheering from the control room - (drook) - (3)
             It's down safe. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 According to XKCD ... - (drook)
                 Woot, woot, woot! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Can't wait until it's Onionized - (drook)
         NYT has usual brilliant graphics, pics of situation - (Ashton)
         Day 3 summary from Telegraph/UK - (Ashton) - (12)
             How to test the screws - (drook) - (8)
                 Tan 90° is handy for that, of course. - (Ashton) - (7)
                     "Soil Type: Hardness ranging from fluffy snow to basalt" - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         Quite interesting. Thank you. -NT - (hnick)
                         Is Rosetta close enough to get pics of Philae? Could it *get* close enough? - (drook) - (3)
                             Doesn't sound like that is part of the plan. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 They finally found Philae! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Best video game in the world -NT - (drook)
                         "I. Apathy and A. Peter" are boffins of the 'DIM' module" - (Ashton)
             Kudos and some grumbling over reports to date.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: how to compute - (a6l6e6x)
                 Given that... - (scoenye)

The mind boggles.
84 ms