IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The producer has a hand in it.
It is know that the producer has a hand in their challenges, possibly guiding results, probably encouraging pranks and certainly picking challenges tilted against the cars they've chosen. On the other hand, it is known that the Clarkson you see in the program is an over-the-top version of himself. Not so sure about the other two.

I still think Richard simply bit off more than he could chew with that race. He fell a long way behind when he forgot to switch the reserve tank off - if the film team had reminded him of that it would've been quite a lot closer.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Yup.
One wonders if they purposefully picked days that had rain in the forecast for that episode... It seems like, a lot of the time, the destruction and so forth is just something they know they have to put in, so they do so. I mean, yeah, they have fun with it but it's so over-the-top and predictable these days.

In this case - http://en.wikipedia....orth#Authenticity

Authenticity[edit]

For various reasons, it was not possible to run a historically accurate recreation of how the race would have gone in 1949. Instead, according to Graeme Bunker, the race was "done just for fun and entertainment".[6] A major restriction was Tornado's maximum speed limit of 75 miles per hour (121 km/h), set as a condition of its current main line certification (although the A1 Trust was planning to have Tornado certified to a higher speed over time). The 'Flyers' of the 1950s would have gone on to speeds of 90 miles per hour (140 km/h) and beyond.[2] A further difficulty was due to water troughs having been removed from the rail network, meaning it was not possible to achieve the post war steam timings of 6 and a half hours.[6] According to Steam Railway magazine, if Tornado had been able to use troughs, the train would have won the race easily.[2] On the plus side for the car and bike, they had the speed advantage of not having to travel through towns and villages exactly as the old Great North Road would have, but instead benefitted from the use of modern bypasses, and the faster A1(M) sections of the A1, where it has been upgraded to motorway standards.[6] However, speed restrictions outside of built up areas were only introduced in Britain in 1965. So if this had been in 1949 neither the car or motorbike would have been subject to any speed restrictions for most of the journey.[citation needed]

The best thing about Top Gear is the cinematography, IMO. The rest is meh, depending on my mood.

Here's a nice page on a '55 Black Shadow - http://www.mctrader....icleid/85888.aspx

Vincent’s countless racing and speed record successes underlined the performance of its high-cam, 50-degree V-twin. In fact, attempts to run a 1000cc Clubman’s TT in the Isle of Man foundered after just three races because nothing could touch the Vincents – in the final 1950 edition, only Vincents took part. Nothing else could compete with these bike created by legendary Australian engineer, Phil Irving.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yes. It is, after all, and entertainment program.
But one that happens to centre on cars.

(And three (ageing) enthusiasts who do know their stuff and aren't afraid of looking like berks on international TV. :-)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Wow! nice link; lots of familiars there..
Conway Motors: whence came my spares; from whom I bought my sl.-modified Sprite etc.
(And Syd Broomfield there, found me a bed in Shepherds Bush, at start of my Grand-tour.)
Surtees' father! George Brown/Nero + Super-Nero and the omnipresent VOC (owners club.)

{{sniff}}

Brakes: Physics reveals the thermodynamic limits of, even a ventilated 7" drum brake. Turned out that some superior linings appeared,
some of us did score the magnesium vented back-plates and that combo made for quite adequate decel
--but not indefinitely down-hill at max! natch.

Still, merely properly shod and with shoes ground to exact (expanded!) dia. In normal er, hooning--no sweat.
There were no disks then (or: they would have been std.)
(Going to larger dia was entertained by some of us: too many weight/other consequences nixed that what-if.)

I congratulate my parents for spawning moi, timed just-right to partake of these machines which were 'Adventurous'
merely to gaze-at ... while-parked. Pur sang ergonomics before the word got coined.
(And I thank Cthulhu for overlooking His several opportunities to queer-the-dice and gain fresh fodder.)

Vroooom
     muscle cars and muddle cars - (rcareaga) - (36)
         *Fiat Lux Production; Ad-purveyors: peruse/weep lots. - (Ashton) - (9)
             What's in a name? Less than you'd think - (rcareaga) - (8)
                 well to be pedantic no marcha means the starter is gone -NT - (boxley)
                 Entertaining Snopes linky! Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Over here they've gone for "just plain stupid" - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Renault is ripping off the idea of VW Sirocco. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Isn't that flirting with a lawsuit from Nintendo? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                         Wii are not amused. -NT - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             ('Twas an unintendo-Nintendo; comprendo?) -NT - (Ashton)
                 It was..(whatever year) and, Then as Now: - (Ashton)
         Not very subtle rip-off - (drook) - (21)
             Car companies steal profiles all the time. - (Another Scott) - (20)
                 Confess.. - (Ashton) - (19)
                     Maybe. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Bargain! - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Doug Marker - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Ah yess.. had the Doug.. Sample Blast-from-the Past: - (Ashton)
                     I would! - (static) - (14)
                         Interestingly... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             I Love exponentials.. SOLD!! - (Ashton)
                         Now that the Three Stooges have been summoned... - (scoenye) - (11)
                             :-) I think he's seen it. - (Another Scott)
                             Site's being cranky today.. saw this a while back - (Ashton) - (9)
                                 Hammond was definitely on the edge of his abilities. - (static) - (8)
                                     Yah, saw it was a flashy puff-piece not a 'Race'.. pity. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                         And it had quirks he coudn't get on top of. - (static) - (1)
                                             Heh..'wrong-side' by Japanese layout, only; there's a story: - (Ashton)
                                         With that bunch you never know... - (scoenye) - (4)
                                             The producer has a hand in it. - (static) - (3)
                                                 Yup. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Yes. It is, after all, and entertainment program. - (static)
                                                     Wow! nice link; lots of familiars there.. - (Ashton)
         Re: muscle cars and muddle cars - (dmcarls) - (3)
             A great book. They really should put out a new edition. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 (Mightn't it be too painful to read/thus 'sell'?) -NT - (Ashton)
             Thanks.. pretty unsurprising that Demming would be - (Ashton)

This country was built on the hope that one day we could all own a Batcave.
68 ms