IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There are specified greens?
I thought kimchee was pickled whatever was in season. At my last house, there was a Korean store a few blocks away and the kimchee varied considerably. It was all pretty good; it got me banned from eating it in the house though.
New Yes, and different mixes have different names.
Nappa Cabbage is, however the most popular, coming coarsely chopped (most common) and whole or half cabbage head. For this they don't use the blocky Chinese cabbages you see in the supermarkets, by smaller elongated varieties that are very common in the Asian markets here.

What other vegetables and seasonings are included is up to the maker. Oysters are fairly common, along with scallions and daikon radish.

The version I bought last week had a name, but the store's label printer is missing so many pins I couldn't make it out.

The biggest change in kimchee making came with red chilis, brought to Asia by the Portuguese. It was found that a good dose of ground chili acted as an additional preservative, and enhanced the flavor.

White kimchee is still made and in the markets here, but only in a daikon radish version.
New Cool, thanks for the info
I'm going to look for the white kimchee. Sounds interesting. Of course I'll have to eat it outside. I may wait for spring. Is it seasonal?
New Not seasonal - at least not around here.
Daikon radishes are abundant here, year round, in both Japanese and Korean styles. The Korean ones are mostly barrel shaped rather than the carrot shaped Japanese version (in Japan they also have spherical ones). The Korean also come in pink.

One of my favorite things to make fun of is English cookbooks, particularly one where the recipe writer specifies "One daikon radish". Here in Southern California we have daikons from one ounce to around 8 pounds. "I ask, lady, exactly what size is one daikon in England?"

This is typical of English cookbooks, though. Everything is called for number rather than by weight or measure. Exactly what size is a "bunch of parsley" in England?

Apparently metric conversion got them so confused they just can't handle weights and measures any more.
New Not exclusively a British problem.
American recipes also do it. My favourite one is "one stick of butter". Oh yes? I can't buy butter in sticks; only in grams.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New not difficult.
Just ask Google.
how much does a typical stick of butter weigh?http://www.onlinecon...um_1026097353.htm

New Misses my point. :-)
Although two or three years ago when I actually needed to know, even Google couldn't help.

Wade.
New 4 sticks to a pound 8 tblespoons to the stick
and if you had bought american butter it would have been right there on the wrapper of the stick :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Actually, the US has two size sticks.
Eastern and Western with the divide at the Mississippi - but on both sides a stick is a quarter pound - just the dimensions are different.

Butter dishes are usually sized for Eastern sticks and too long for Western sticks.

But wait a minute - 3 (count them, 3) years ago google couldn't answer? I'm having a hard time accepting that.

New When to DrewK put out his first recipes book?
A relative tried to do one of the recipes and foundered on "one stick of butter". Maybe I never struck the right phrase to Google, but I never found an answer.

Wade.
New Early 2008
--

Drew
New Thanks. 5 or 6 years ago, then.
New Precision is for baking
For everything else - well, that's what your judgement is for.
New Sorry, but I like repeatability.
Repeatability requires fair precision as to how much of what.

Having decent measures is also very helpful for correcting a recipe that didn't quite work out - you have a baseline.

They are also very helpful for persons who've never made the dish before, vastly increasing the chances of success on the first try.

Now, if you're a peasant with only 5 or 6 ingredients available, and you make the same thing day after day, you don't need measures. That's where the myth that measures aren't needed came from - but we aren't living in sod huts any more, at least not around here.

New That's the thing with you Americans
Always with the permanent structures obsession.
--

Drew
New ;^>
New Had some made with cucumber recently
unfortunately, the brand was not the best when it came to flavor (it was a gift), so I can't report a pleasant addition to my ham sammich.
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
     Sci Fri: fermentation/kimchee bio-boffin On-tap NOW -NT - (Ashton) - (21)
         Kimchee - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
             Says: early 'food-namers' were lousy botanists (for one.) -NT - (Ashton)
             you dont make your own? - (boxley) - (1)
                 It's on the "to do" list, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             There are specified greens? - (hnick) - (16)
                 Yes, and different mixes have different names. - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                     Cool, thanks for the info - (hnick) - (13)
                         Not seasonal - at least not around here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                             Not exclusively a British problem. - (static) - (7)
                                 not difficult. - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Misses my point. :-) - (static)
                                 4 sticks to a pound 8 tblespoons to the stick - (boxley)
                                 Actually, the US has two size sticks. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                     When to DrewK put out his first recipes book? - (static) - (2)
                                         Early 2008 -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             Thanks. 5 or 6 years ago, then. -NT - (static)
                             Precision is for baking - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 Sorry, but I like repeatability. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     That's the thing with you Americans - (drook) - (1)
                                         ;^> -NT - (Ashton)
                     Had some made with cucumber recently - (Silverlock)

Even the hydrocoptic marzelvane came up with a null...
72 ms