Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I started out on DOS 1.1 on 360K floppies on a real IBM PC
that belonged to a friend of mine. IIRC:
- DOS 1.1
- dual 360K floppies (pretty sure wasn't 180K)- full size 5.25"
- MGA with IBM monochrome green monitor
- CGA with IBM color monitor
- BASICA and
- Microsft Assembler! (with one of the worst manuals I have ever seen)

And, in college we had at least one IBM PC XT that was still in use -- up to 1991! (Of course, we were still using VIC-20's and Commodore 64's for the labs). Around 1991, we finally started getting some modern equipment such as 386's.

The physics department also had a really unusual machine -- a LISP machine that ran LISP in hardware. It was used to run Macsyma for the theoretical professors.

Tony
Who doesn't miss much about the original PC
New I started out on DOS 1.0 on 160K floppies on a real IBM PC.
That was before they figures out they could reliably format 9 (vs. 8) sectors per track on those 5.25 inch drives.

I also had the MGA and CGA graphic adapters with the monochrome monitor. Had to use an RF modulator and color TV with the CGA adapter. You may recall the monochrome monitor had to get its power from the PC. If the monitor was otherwise powered and was ON while the PC was OFF, it would self-destruct!

Viscalc was one the applications I bought at the time.

Full agreement on MS Assembler documentation. POS!

It wasn't until DOS 2.0 that you could have a "sub-directory". Zowie!
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
     THE IBM PC was introduced to the world 20 years ago today - (brettj) - (30)
         On whose doorknob can I hang the dead chicken? -NT - (Ashton)
         Ooh, I remember her - (altmann)
         Re: THE IBM PC - as often with historic reports - simplifies - (dmarker2) - (1)
             Re: Investor history: Tech sector could learn from the '80s - (brettj)
         A working AT? - (Andrew Grygus) - (25)
             pre-XT in mint condition?! - (brettj) - (24)
                 I started out on DOS 1.1 on 360K floppies on a real IBM PC - (tonytib) - (1)
                     I started out on DOS 1.0 on 160K floppies on a real IBM PC. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Well, nearly mint. - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
                     Re: Chuckle :-) - Businessland !!! remember em well ... - (dmarker2)
                     I worked on original PCs. - (static) - (19)
                         loved pc-write also brown bag software -NT - (boxley)
                         ObAOL Me Too - (deSitter) - (17)
                             While I have no love for Seagate . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Re: While I have no love for Seagate . . - (deSitter) - (4)
                                     Seagate may have had problems too . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         Re: Seagate may have had problems too . . . - (dlevitt) - (2)
                                             I seem to remember it was the 10 meg drives - (DonRichards)
                                             Emerald also melted down. - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Alligator memory? - (static) - (10)
                                 Re: Alligator memory? - (deSitter) - (9)
                                     I never damaged any. :-) -NT - (static)
                                     Sounds like some kind of surface mount stuff - (tonytib) - (7)
                                         Sheesh, you guys don't even know what you missed. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                             No, those are DIPs - (tonytib) - (4)
                                                 That is most fun on an Apple II - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     Twas the Wozniak mindset.. in replication. Cute/dumb overall -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 After watching this discussion... - (static) - (1)
                                                     Spent a summer in high school soldering components on boards - (Steve Lowe)
                                             DIPS and Tweek\ufffd - (Ashton)

1. I've read it before; and
  2. I ignored it and marked it read the first time.

53 ms