IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That is most fun on an Apple II
You get smoke and exploding chips, and a game of "find the dead ICs".

And no, I never heard of alligator memory either, but I presume he had to mean DIPs,
'cause that's how memory came.

Another Apple II fun was to pull a card with the power on (no fan, so it was easy to do). Pull it a little tilted and it blew every board on the bus plus a few ICs on the main board. I used to know exactly which ones had to be replaced.

Since Apple IIs used the video retrace to refresh RAM, a problem almost anywhere on the main board could cause memory problems.

The Apple II design was pure hacker. If something could be done with obscure cleverness to make it cheaper, that's the way it was done, right down to a software disk controller. Even choice of the 6502 processor was based purely on price - the Intel chips were newer and way faster, so they cost more, so they were unnaceptable to Apple.

They charged a whole lot of money for this pile of crap, and worked hard to build a "mystique" to support the price. Even so, it was VisiCalc, not Apple, that made the Apple II a success (Bricklin wouldn't do a CP/M version because he couldn't copy protect it effectively on such an open platform).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Twas the Wozniak mindset.. in replication. Cute/dumb overall
     THE IBM PC was introduced to the world 20 years ago today - (brettj) - (30)
         On whose doorknob can I hang the dead chicken? -NT - (Ashton)
         Ooh, I remember her - (altmann)
         Re: THE IBM PC - as often with historic reports - simplifies - (dmarker2) - (1)
             Re: Investor history: Tech sector could learn from the '80s - (brettj)
         A working AT? - (Andrew Grygus) - (25)
             pre-XT in mint condition?! - (brettj) - (24)
                 I started out on DOS 1.1 on 360K floppies on a real IBM PC - (tonytib) - (1)
                     I started out on DOS 1.0 on 160K floppies on a real IBM PC. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Well, nearly mint. - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
                     Re: Chuckle :-) - Businessland !!! remember em well ... - (dmarker2)
                     I worked on original PCs. - (static) - (19)
                         loved pc-write also brown bag software -NT - (boxley)
                         ObAOL Me Too - (deSitter) - (17)
                             While I have no love for Seagate . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Re: While I have no love for Seagate . . - (deSitter) - (4)
                                     Seagate may have had problems too . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         Re: Seagate may have had problems too . . . - (dlevitt) - (2)
                                             I seem to remember it was the 10 meg drives - (DonRichards)
                                             Emerald also melted down. - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Alligator memory? - (static) - (10)
                                 Re: Alligator memory? - (deSitter) - (9)
                                     I never damaged any. :-) -NT - (static)
                                     Sounds like some kind of surface mount stuff - (tonytib) - (7)
                                         Sheesh, you guys don't even know what you missed. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                             No, those are DIPs - (tonytib) - (4)
                                                 That is most fun on an Apple II - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     Twas the Wozniak mindset.. in replication. Cute/dumb overall -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 After watching this discussion... - (static) - (1)
                                                     Spent a summer in high school soldering components on boards - (Steve Lowe)
                                             DIPS and Tweek\ufffd - (Ashton)

I'm sorry Dave, but Dave's friend Dave says Dave's at Dave's house.
59 ms