IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I threw my back out a couple of months ago...
I was bent over trying to shift the base some heavy shelves that were stuck in the linoleum. Bad move.

It wasn't as bad as what you went through (I was never confined), but it was painful. I had to move very slowly to get out of a chair or out of bed, and getting into and out of the car, and using the clutch, was very painful. It slowly got better though. By 3 weeks, I was back to normal.

If you can wait, and feel back to normal in 3 weeks, I'd strongly consider putting it off.

The trouble with the physicians is they only see the X-rays and so forth after you have the pain. Who knows what it looked like before - maybe it was the same, maybe it was only a very little different. They don't know.

Physicians don't know much about muscles and how they interact with all the nerves and other stuff.

They may indeed fix you up just fine, and the likelihood of complications is low. But surgical techniques and other treatments do advance over time. Maybe in 5 years they could do the same repairs with less cutting and less recovery time.

The main reason why I say use caution is (as I've mentioned here before) that J has had lots of pain issues in her jaw and upper torso as a result of an old car accident. Some of her physicians were saying she needed extensive dental work, some were saying she needed jaw surgery, some were saying it was the stenosis in her neck vertebrae. The thing that has helped her the most is having someone work on the knots in her muscles.

But take this with a grain of salt. If you couldn't get out of bed, it was much more serious than what I went through. :-)

In any event, make sure you get a second opinion, of course.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: before / after
When the open MRI came out and all the top hospitals started converting, there was a glut of old-style closed ones. (And speaking of claustrophobia, I don't have it but good God would that thing test it. Kept my eyes closed for the whole test.)

Clinics started popping up that bought the older systems and offered a full-body exploratory MRI, and of course offering followup on whatever they found. Even leaving aside the financial incentive to find and treat something, it turned out if you scan anyone over the age of 30 you'll find a half-dozen things that would be concerning if there were associated symptoms.

After some analysis, it turned out the risk of complications from exploring and/or treating asymptomatic anomalies was higher than the risk of one of those anomalies being meaningful. But of course every clinic tells the story of the one-in-a-million case where someone identified cancer early.

All that being said ... the condition I have is congenital and familial. My father's near-identical experience convinces me this isn't just what they found to explain what I did, it's the underlying problem. In theory, removing some bone to create a wider channel sounds eminently reasonable. But my lizard brain thinks, "Open up my back and chisel around my spinal cord?" and I get the willies.
--

Drew
New Understood. Good luck. :-)
New :-) J's father said his was "15" once. ;-)
New I've heard a relative say "11".
She used to be a nurse and was trying to kick the staff into giving her Something NOW for her damaged back (yep - herniated discs at L4/5).

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New On Wednesday right before the shot I said I was about a 4
But told them I had just recalibrated. A week earlier I would have called it a 7.
--

Drew
New Louis CK Pain Chart.
http://25.media.tumb...qz6f9yo1_1280.gif (SFW)

:-)

(via ThisIsntHappiness)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Excellent
--

Drew
     In case you wondered, hernieated disks SUCK - (drook) - (33)
         ouch! major suckage -NT - (boxley)
         Dude, I've felt your pain. - (mmoffitt) - (27)
             The tough decision - (drook) - (26)
                 I no advice, there.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Re: I no advice, there.. - (dmcarls) - (1)
                         Sure they can stay this way - (drook)
                 I threw my back out a couple of months ago... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     Re: before / after - (drook) - (1)
                         Understood. Good luck. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     On pain... - (dmcarls) - (5)
                         :-) J's father said his was "15" once. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             I've heard a relative say "11". - (static) - (3)
                                 On Wednesday right before the shot I said I was about a 4 - (drook) - (2)
                                     Louis CK Pain Chart. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Excellent -NT - (drook)
                 In November I had a lumbar laminectomy - (hnick) - (3)
                     Yeah, speaking of Vicodin ... - (drook) - (1)
                         cool. let me know. - (hnick)
                     Seconded. - (mmoffitt)
                 I just realized I never answered your question. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                     Couldn't do upward dog until yesterday - (drook) - (8)
                         Re: Couldn't do upward dog until yesterday - (malraux) - (3)
                             Saw that on the labeling ... have you used it? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                 Re: Saw that on the labeling ... have you used it? - (malraux) - (1)
                                     Oh, I don't plan on using it forever - (drook)
                         Didn't do much for me. - (hnick) - (1)
                             Probably a dosage issue - (crazy)
                         Do NOT drive no matter how clearheaded you feel. - (crazy) - (1)
                             Thanks for the tip - (drook)
         Very little is as painful as back pain - (malraux)
         Can't comment on other's pain - (crazy) - (2)
             Hadn't thought about the insurance aspect ... good point - (drook) - (1)
                 Maybe it'll be moot tomorrow... :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!
100 ms