Post Mortem.

OK, finally got my replacement hole saw (still a slight wobble, but less than the other), also a bit of scrap paneling to try punching some holes through, some 1-3/4 cabling grommets (they look pretty slick). Half-dozen test cuts indicated there'd be few issues -- cuts were clean, no breakout, and the grommets fit.

Drilled the first hole through a below-the-decks cabinet, no problems. Discovered there's not even much sawdust spill -- it all stays on the front side of the work. Punched out six holes (all the grommets I had), then decided another couple on the hutch top would help cabling, so I'll be back to Home Despot for more grommets.

Also did the quake precaution thang and screwed my bookcase to the wall [1]. Quite sturdy, and it even helped level out one of the cases.

Now all I need is some muscle to get the hutch up top (intact, no drops, no scratches), and more power strips. Looks like the unit's going to drop the light level some too, so more lamps are next up.

Starting to look like a pad....

1. Ms. Makita would have been a preference, but hey, if you can't be with the one you want....