IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Enameled iron is total crap for frying, at any price . . .
. . and Le Crueset is a perfect example of how the Frogs rape wannabe gourmets (for every predator there is a rightful prey). Yes, the quality is excellent - but the price is more than twice what is reasonable.

Of course there's also cheap enameled iron from China (they also have their rightful prey) that'll be showing bare iron in about two weeks, and what's dissolved in your food is probably heavy with that most favored of Chinese ingredients - lead.

Enameled Iron is no good for a skillet. It doesn't hold seasoning well, and it's very sensitive to thermal shock, becoming rough and unusable if mistreated - and a skillet will be mistreated.

For a skillet you want plain cast iron. You can abuse it horribly - even red hot to cold running water - and it doesn't give a damn. Sandpaper out the burned on stuff, wipe on some oil and its ready to go.

It quickly builds up a crust that beats any "non-stick" coating ever made, and it doesn't give a damn if you use metal tools - it's completely self healing.

Non-stick is, of course, despised by competent chefs (which set does not include Rachael Ray (also despised by competent chefs)) - except some (who do their own clean-up) like to have a non-stick skillet for scrambled eggs - only.

Enameled Iron is great for soup pots, dutch ovens and braising pots (I prefer the oval shape).
New Thanks. That's good to know.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Hmm. Letting myself make mistakes... - (static) - (19)
         lamb cooks fine when its not hot - (boxley) - (2)
             And I grill the sliced shoulder - (crazy)
             Yah, I didn't do the 'lot longer' bit either. :-) -NT - (static)
         Not a bad idea -NT - (drook)
         On drippings v butter - (beepster) - (14)
             I've pan-fried in butter several times before. - (static) - (13)
                 Second-hand is better IMO - (drook) - (7)
                     Lodge cast iron. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Saw this on Ebay. - (static) - (5)
                         It's a little small, I think. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             26cm == 10" - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Yeahbut... - (Another Scott)
                         used cast iron is best, do they have flea markets in Oz? - (boxley) - (1)
                             They're a bit rare in my suburban belt. - (static)
                 350 bucks? - (jake123) - (2)
                     HAHA! Her loss! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                         Well, she did get another one - (jake123)
                 Enameled iron is total crap for frying, at any price . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Thanks. That's good to know. -NT - (static)

*gloat*
42 ms