I have a fair number of cast iron pieces, two of which are Lodge and several are older pans with a machined inner surface.

Of course I consider the Lodge 90G round griddle essential for a number of ethnic cuisines, particularly Indian, Thai and Mexican, but it is almost always used dry and rarely with just a wiped on coating of oil.

My most used skillet is the Lodge CS2 10 inch chef's pan (sloped sides rounded into the bottom rather than steep with a sharp corner). This seems to have been replaced with a CS3 10 inch chef's pan which looks identical.

I find that with some use the bottom becomes quite smooth due to the seasoning crust that develops. Of course my pans get smoother over time because when the seasoning seems to be getting a little thick I sandpaper them with a 200 grit abrasive cloth until I see a good scattering of bare metal.

I learned long ago that, particularly with the machined finish pans, if the crust gets a bit thick it starts flaking off into the food, which is not a good idea.