IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A moment of silence...
for the victims of 9/11...

Lest we forget.
I know I never will.

May their families find peace someday.

Brenda
...as what you choose to remember. And far too many people remember 9/11/01 in terms of "No nation has ever suffered as the United States did that black day, no country has ever endured such injustice." Bullshit. The USA has been meting out death from the skies for decades, principally upon noncombatants. A bully and a brute may command a kind of respect; a weeping, self-pitying bully, not so much.

By all means, remember the WTC/Pentagon dead, but spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands of civilians done to death by American arms in our lifetimes. 'Cause you know, that spot of unpleasantness eight years ago didn't occur in a historical vacuum.
New You missed a zero or two.
New your lot can account for those if you want
New At least one; quite possibly two
You start to get into the weeds of who's a noncombatant and who isn't. In practice, for about the past seven decades the USA hasn't really recognized anyone as a noncombatant who comes within reach of our bombs: you're Vietnamese and fourteen, sweetheart? Tough shit. If you didn't want Uncle Ho to win, why weren't you in one of our nice Strategic Hamlets? But I was trying to be tactful on this solemn occasion.

cordially,
New Re: It's not so much what you forget
as what you choose to remember. And far too many people remember 9/11/01 in terms of "No nation has ever suffered as the United States did that black day, no country has ever endured such injustice." Bullshit. The USA has been meting out death from the skies for decades, principally upon noncombatants. A bully and a brute may command a kind of respect; a weeping, self-pitying bully, not so much.

By all means, remember the WTC/Pentagon dead, but spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands of civilians done to death by American arms in our lifetimes. 'Cause you know, that spot of unpleasantness eight years ago didn't occur in a historical vacuum.

I never even thought of it in those terms, to be honest. I don't remember that quote, but even if I heard it then, I would never have believed it. I mean, the nation of Germany and the German Jews suffered far more during WW2 than we did on 9/11, and so did Japan when the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Believe me, I know that the U.S. militant forces have been responsible for the deaths of probably millions of civilians as well as combatants, we aren't any less guilty of such carnage than anyone else.

I know it did not happen in a historical vacuum, The Oklahoma Bombing was done by an American to civilians, Hiroshima & Nagasaki were whole cities destroyed by the U.S. forces, and they most certainly weren't all combatants. I just want 9/11 to be remembered along with all the others, and not to slip into oblivion as time passes on.

So I'll change my statement to be instead, a moment of silence for all victims of Terrorism everywhere, and all fallen civilians due to wartime as well.

Brenda
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 11, 2009, 08:31:09 PM EDT
New I weep too..
for our Dead Honor.

Also on every 'Memorial' Day, along with the various Special Ones that pop up, like this one.
(Follow the Money: before and Cheney/Halliburton especially, After.)
Wanna buy some Afghanistani burkha futures?

You could make a killing, just like those Twin Towers Professionals were doing every day.
The Econ-unfettered Power-of-Greed kills as surely as a cyanide candy-apple and just as silently. mostly.
Y'know?

New As I had occasion to observe elsewhere today...
Asymmetrical warfare always looks like an unsportsmanlike proposition* to the side that has the cruise missiles.

cordially,

*cf the Gitmo commandant who held that inmate suicides there were evidence of a conspiracy against the US, and "not an act of desperation, but an act of asymmetrical warfare waged against us."
New well every now and again a mandible gets beat
we should never have let the pakistani's airlift out al quida from afghanistan. Should have rolled in, blew the shit out of everything then gone home and write the survivors checks. Ask the russians about that asymetrical stuff
New we could scarcely deny them that...
after airlifting sundry Saudi scoundrels off these shores during the three days when (cough) free white Americans were forbidden to fly, now could we?
New In some rheumy eyes.. 'tis unMurican to remember
such uncomfortable things. >You< have not been watching enough Murican Idle, whose soothing/grating off-key sounds are meant to free those grey cells of such detritus.

I also recall that those 3 days of no-kerosene in the air: permitted certain observant folks to measure/verify that the %light (never mind the other frequencies) has also been dimming
and that all those airplanes flying their oft trivial missions -- also Cost.

Still.. prosperity is just around the coroner.
     A moment of silence... - (Nightowl) - (10)
         It's not so much what you forget - (rcareaga) - (4)
             You missed a zero or two. -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                 your lot can account for those if you want -NT - (boxley)
                 At least one; quite possibly two - (rcareaga)
             Re: It's not so much what you forget - (Nightowl)
         I weep too.. - (Ashton) - (4)
             As I had occasion to observe elsewhere today... - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 well every now and again a mandible gets beat - (boxley) - (2)
                     we could scarcely deny them that... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         In some rheumy eyes.. 'tis unMurican to remember - (Ashton)

Got Snow, Greg?
79 ms