IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Judgement call
They have to decide in a split second to shoot or not to shoot. Even if it was a BB gn, they will consier it to be a gun, and react as it if were a real gun.

I've heard stories of people pulling out a wallet and getting shot, because the officer thought it wa a gun and the guy pulled it out too fast. Drop what you have, put your hands on the air or whatever they tell you to, and if they ask for ID, pull it out of your pocket slowly. Some cops are quick on the trgger.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New You hear about the one because it causes controversy...
When someone is pulling out a non-gun (eg wallet) and gets shot, there is considerable controversy. See the relatively recent case in NYC.

When a kid pulls out a toy gun and gets shot, it is a sad note on the local news, nothing more. My awareness of this is because it happened a few years ago in Vancouver. There was some local publicity, there were pictures of the "gun" in question, and there was the usual sad litany of experts telling parents to consider carefully what toys they bought their kids.

I don't remember whether a lawsuit was brought. If so, it was dismissed. After all when on close visual inspection it was impossible to tell that the gun was not real, the reactions of an officer when a kid pointed it at him and cried out something like, "I've got you now!" were perfectly understandable. (I know that said officer was visiting a private home. I don't remember whether he was serving a warrant or not.)

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     More Ludicrous than usual - (andread) - (13)
         Possibly the canary effect, too. - (Ashton)
         How realistic was the toy gun? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Judgement call - (nking) - (1)
                 You hear about the one because it causes controversy... - (ben_tilly)
         Probably more real guns than toys in most trailer parks. - (Silverlock) - (4)
             But come the F on - a *seven-year-old* kid! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 A little of both - (drewk) - (1)
                     What he said. - (Silverlock)
             I would rather live in a trailer park than a kennel (apt) - (boxley)
         Is the day of the cap gun over? - (wharris2) - (1)
             All things considered, I'd say yes. - (Ashton)
         Re: More Ludicrous than usual - (GBert) - (1)
             Yes, noticed that little revelation too.. - (Ashton)

Well, yes, because everyone knows that having an Italian travertine fireplace in just one color is gauche.
59 ms