IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This is a team lead position
You don't actually DO anything.

You tell other people that what they've already done is being done wrong, and that if they only did it the way you say to do it, it'll all work out.

But:

You make sure that all of your recommendations are too expensive to actually do.

You come up with a pie in the sky cost/benefit analysis, justify it, and push it up the chain.

Everyone will tell you how you are right (since they have NO clue and simply want to latch on to someone who looks like he knows what he is doing) and back you, except as it moves up the chain it get more and more expensive as people add their 2 cents and you address their favorite pet projects.

This just took a year.

In that year you've done nothing but spin fanciful tales and work with spreadsheets.

It can go one of 2 ways.

Most likely, you won't get budget approval for your high cost solution, but everyone will agree that it was the right thing to do, they simply could not swing it. Which means the current system limps along, with minimal changes, but you have full deniability and it is the boss / executives fault that the system sucks, so no one will push too hard against you for the current system. You can coast for years in this position, drawing a really good paycheck, and not doing much work.

Or, you get budget. And go: Holy shit, I don't REALLY know how to do any of these things. So you make sure you allocate a large portion of that budget for a consulting company to come in, waste a lot of effort, spin wheels for a couple of years, and wait out the executive management. After a couple of years there will be a shift at the top, funds will get yanked, and you'll fire the remaining staffers and keep a few consultants who will maintain the original crappy portal.

You will save a boatload of money at that point, since the horrendous cash drain of your project will be gone, it'll will make you look great, and you'll get a promotion. Welcome to the executive ranks.

This is a great position for a good bullshit artist.
New Yikes. You really do need to write a book.
Look at how well [link|http://www.amazon.com/Thank-You-Smoking-Christopher-Buckley/dp/0060976624|Thank You for Smoking] did.

You've got a gift that you should share. Seriously.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Probably, he won't though -
(I've made the very same suggestion, so then - well.. It's ruined, eh?)

He could, though - he Knows the shark! (I suspect from - inside the skin.)
And he also groks KISS.

Scott Adams didn't do a heck of a lot more than that, now did he?

New Yup, that's where I keep screwing up
I keep thinking people actually want things done.
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Holy crap, ridiculous job description - (drewk) - (15)
         This is a team lead position - (crazy) - (3)
             Yikes. You really do need to write a book. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Probably, he won't though - - (Ashton)
             Yup, that's where I keep screwing up - (drewk)
         What is not said. - (static)
         its kforce, what do you expect? - (boxley) - (6)
             It's the rust belt. Housing should be cheap. - (a6l6e6x)
             You can do pretty well on that - (drewk) - (4)
                 nice shack with dirt around it? - (boxley) - (3)
                     I know lots of people around here with horses - (drewk) - (1)
                         dont want to spend over 180k - (boxley)
                     $850k for 5 acres. - (Another Scott)
         Could be related to this, too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Been experiencing this... - (folkert) - (1)
                 Don't forget the fav "Over qualified". Whatever that means. -NT - (jbrabeck)

Yeah, would be nice if "despair" wasn't such an appropriate word choice.
99 ms