IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New According to Nicholas Wirth he did not . . .
. . write Pascal as just a teaching language.

Of course for efficient PC programming it needed some "extensions", which were pretty much finalized in Borland's Turbo Pascal. Personally I've done a lot of passing complex structured variables as pointers, type casting and other behavior considered improper - but not GOTO, no never!

Actually, even type casting was included in formal Pascal, but by a means so awkward and obscure as to assure nobody used it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New So who are you going to believe?
Nicholas Wirth or 20 year old Usenet gossip? I mean really...

Turbo Pascal was a fun language/package. I seem to recall that it came on a single floppy with room to spare. It could do fun things with VGA colors and curses style windows. It was specified as the required language for a program I had to write for a customer who had to convert the output of some kind of 20 bit processor (probably an in-house bit slice design). TP only had 16 bit signed integers so I ended up converting values by bit shifting 16 bits and multiplying by a real to get a final result. It was interesting but I was hardly impressed with the language. Outside of playing though, that was all I really did with it, so I don't have a real informed opinion.

In that time frame, I used mostly PLM and assembler. When I moved into unix systems, C was sort of a natural progression. When I went into OS/2 and Windows world, C/C++ compilers were readily available and I knew the language so I used them. I still like C and C++ for driver work and low level services and such. I don't do much high level web or data base stuff any more.

I still maintain that most languages are useful if used properly. I will probably never be able to use english to win this arguement though...
New Nah, you probably won't: "Argument". HTH! :-)
New Early versions had only 16-bit integers . . .
. . and that was a bit of a problem. Later versions added the 32-bit LONGINT data type which made usability much better.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Maybe not originally, but when he wrote Modula II
...he wrote it because Pascal wasn't flexible enough as a general purpose language; it was best used as a teaching aid (much like Java is today).
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
Expand Edited by jb4 June 21, 2007, 11:32:50 PM EDT
     Seriously, Bryce, I'm not saying this to be mean, but... - (CRConrad) - (34)
         You mean the "payroll" example? Not very specific - (tablizer) - (31)
             What are you on about? No, absolutely not "Payroll example"! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Okay, I see it now - (tablizer)
             Wow, deja vu (hypothetically) - (drewk) - (28)
                 Which one? - (tablizer) - (27)
                     Neither - (drewk) - (26)
                         Thank you, that was very helpful - (tablizer) - (25)
                             No, thank *you* - (drewk)
                             Burden Of Proof - (pwhysall) - (23)
                                 thats easy c++ :-) -NT - (boxley) - (19)
                                     idontnowatumeenbox.c++isorlrite - (pwhysall)
                                     C is a crippled language because it is a crippled language - (tablizer) - (17)
                                         I have always considered C to be . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                                             I disagree. - (admin) - (1)
                                                 ICLPRD (new thread) - (static)
                                             Nah, Pascal was a teaching language - (hnick) - (5)
                                                 According to Nicholas Wirth he did not . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                     So who are you going to believe? - (hnick) - (2)
                                                         Nah, you probably won't: "Argument". HTH! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         Early versions had only 16-bit integers . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     Maybe not originally, but when he wrote Modula II - (jb4)
                                             I gotta say that... - (jb4) - (6)
                                                 It's that stupid single exit point from a function - (crazy) - (5)
                                                     I've got NO PROBLEM with that - (jb4) - (4)
                                                         You ever have nested while and for loops? - (crazy) - (3)
                                                             "Numereous flags" - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                 Didn't think so? - (crazy)
                                                             That's a good way out. - (static)
                                         It is not the pinochle of procedural by a longshot, either. -NT - (jb4)
                                 All these years and you still misunderstand my opinion - (tablizer) - (2)
                                     Not misunderstand ... DISAGREE -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                         If something is objectively better, then you should show why -NT - (tablizer)
         Perhaps, more examples of naivity? - (warmachine) - (1)
             Lots of 'em-they're the very ones I want him to (re)consider -NT - (CRConrad)

There are 178 parent languages on our planet, with over 1000 dialects. It's amazing we communicate at all.
100 ms