IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What,you got "3000+" airports? "Big" ones? No? QED: Strawman
From "3000+" flights to 26 airports, that's a diff of two orders of magnitude. So your attempt at implying they'd need 3000+ "hot spare" aircraft per airline *was* bullshit.

And could you go easy on the "one per country Mr Euro" crapola too, mr Everything-is-so-fucking-much-bigger-and-therefore-better-in-America? Thank you.

(Otherwise, if you're going to persist in trying to earn that nickname... It's just too frigging long for everyday use, so we'd have to come up with some shorter one. How'd'ya like the ring of "Ugly American"?)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New You were the one saying they should have spares
and then counter with the "only one or 2 at the big airports"...which now calculates out to 50 jets per airline times the (for limited arguments sake) the top 8 airlines...so your now have 400 jets sitting idle at a cost of some 65 million per unit.

Roughly, you assume that the airlines could park 26 billion in assets. Thats about 5 million a day (if you assume no compounding) or about 650k per day per airline. (also 7% cost of capital is assumed)

227 million is about 3/4 what the most profitable US airline made last year and thats what you want them to absorb JUST IN CARRYING COST. No maintenance. No crew training. No hangar costs.

I didn't say anything was bigger or better here. Simply that you assume that "only the big airports" seemed to be some magical limitation on what it would take to accomplish your "simple" solution.

So, you bring up the idea "these billion dollar us airline companies" should just run out and buy all sorts of extra jets..then limit it to "only the big airports" and assume that makes it "realistic".

I can take "ugly American" if it means I'm telling you a truth that you don't want to hear or acknowledge.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
Expand Edited by bepatient June 18, 2007, 06:20:18 PM EDT
New Next fix...
...that sometimes even genuinely capitalistic for-profit companies come up with all on their own:

Let them pool their resources. It doesn't even really have to be "one or two hot spares *per airline* per airport", which apparently would make it 8-16 spare aeroplanes per airport; if we assume (can we?) that not *every* bloody airline will have a plane break *every* day at *every* airport (do they?), then two or three planes, *total*, per airport, should do the trick. Have the airlines found some SparePlane Co that they each own equal shares in (or in relation to the number of planes they operate, or whatever), let that run the spare plane operation, and then they all can draw spares from its common pool. What are we down to now; 75 planes, total?

Then about the maintenance, crew training, and hangar costs... The only one of those that they'd *actually* incur would be the hangar cost, wouldn't it? They have crews already; they'd actually be using them *less*, if in stead of having them hang around and wait for a broken plane to be repaired and then fly it, as they do now, they could just switch them to another plane and fly away without the wait. Same goes for maintenance: The same number of miles (or trips or hours) would be flown (only spread over a few more planes), so the same amount of maintenance work would be needed (only spread over a few more planes). These last two arguments go for either number of spare aircraft, BTW; 75 or 400 or any number above, below, or in between.

Funny how a smart guy like you doesn't SEE those things on his own, innit..? Or could that possibly, *possibly*, be because you don't WANT TO see?

And no, honey, you're only really ugly when you throw snide little bullshit barbs like "One airport per country like you Euros are used to" around you. Which I thought I'd made quite clear in my previous post. No use trying to pretend it is your "telling [me] a truth" that pisses me off, when I explicitly *said* it was your behaving like the stereotypical Ugly American that makes me contemplate whether the moniker "Ugly American" would fit.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New But.. but...
such a scheme would require that a bunch of COMPETING biznessmen, CIEIOs making tens of millions/year + perks (several hundred X the rate of each fired mechanic) -- these would have to imagine something beyond ^all they have ever known^ -- a concept so alien to the Spirit of John Galt as to be unutterable above whisper -

They would have to cooperate! -- small enough to prevent apoplexy?

And to what end?
Merely to improve the experience of the already-captive audience of their commodity service, reduce their overall costs, thus ticket prices.

Who could predict what moral perversions might follow from such a scary idea as, "viewing the Whole Picture from the POV of the powerless buyer" of transportation; then to ponder: passengers flying, for the first time, in an Unbranded Logo-free generic airplane!

Merely to expedite passengers to their destinations, without artificial delay. Is that not surreal?

Of course this is unthinkable, except in backwards countries whose carriers possess no sense of Corporate Destiny, no spirit of Winner-take-All (save for the odd foot games where the ball is.. 'round'?)

HTH

SAP Individual Travel Services-the-Murican-Way,
LLC

New dont forget shareholders who would squat sqare bricks
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Ignore them, they're just filthy capitalists
and once we're done fixing their problems here, the shareholders will be RICH...RICH I tell you...RICH!
New if it takes longer than the next quarter forget it
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New It must be simple
forget that there are just a few different jets in use (MD80, 727,737,747,757,A319,320,330,340) each requiring a crew certified to operate that plane, each with different seating configurations (is it better to inconvenience a select few or all passengers equally on an affected flight...how do you choose the lucky few).

Ok, so only get one that holds more than the max of any.

You're back to having to have crews sitting...you can't recycle because crews are specific to aircraft type.

And on the maintenance, airlines are required to carry a certain amount of spares for every aircraft of every type in their fleet. This is why most airlines pick a Boeing OR Airbus and stick. For some US carriers that have grown by glue this is a very large part of their embedded expense (like United for example). Too many different aircraft types make their maintenance operation very expensive.

I find it more amusing that you feel compelled to tell someone how simple it would be to "fix" their business without having the first clue about how it works.

I guess we'll keep each other laughing...
New he's a conslutant of course he doesnt need to understand the
bidness to fix it, its what he does for a living :-)
thanx,
bill

New Not that kind of conslutant-I'm a code slave w/ weird title.
     Don't visit via NY Airports if at all possible. - (Another Scott) - (41)
         Lovely. - (static) - (40)
             I wouldn't worry. - (bepatient) - (39)
                 has more to do with cascading thundershowers in the - (boxley) - (1)
                     There wasn't a cloud in the sky yesterday... - (Another Scott)
                 I hope nobody is too surprised? - (CRConrad) - (36)
                     Learn something before you shoot off your mouth - (bepatient) - (35)
                         Before everyone gets off on the wrong foot... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             They don't think... - (bepatient)
                         It's not "understanding" reality that is the problem,Candide - (CRConrad) - (32)
                             considering most american airlines are in bankrupcy - (boxley) - (1)
                                 IIRC, most airlines don't own their planes. - (Another Scott)
                             Do you want to fly? - (bepatient) - (29)
                                 At least two obvious errors - (CRConrad) - (28)
                                     Ok Mr Euro - (bepatient) - (22)
                                         There are ways around these problems. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                             Re: There are ways around these problems. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                 On the last one... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                     in agreement sort of - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Well said. - (Another Scott)
                                                     Unfortunately - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                         Re: roughly the same as pre-9/11. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                             True enough - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                 I think that varies with location. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                     or ATL, the other day the had the queue going outside the - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                         I got out pretty quick last time - (bepatient)
                                                 Re: There are ways around these problems. - (pwhysall)
                                         What,you got "3000+" airports? "Big" ones? No? QED: Strawman - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                             You were the one saying they should have spares - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                 Next fix... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                     But.. but... - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                         dont forget shareholders who would squat sqare bricks -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Ignore them, they're just filthy capitalists - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                 if it takes longer than the next quarter forget it -NT - (boxley)
                                                     It must be simple - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                         he's a conslutant of course he doesnt need to understand the - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Not that kind of conslutant-I'm a code slave w/ weird title. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     :-) on #2. Or maybe :-(... -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     The FAA is a wholly owned subsidiary of the airlines. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         There is an obvious solution to that problem. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             That is just a form of regulation. - (mmoffitt)
                                             Freedom of the Skies (new thread) - (Seamus)

Doh! Wrong button, Scott!
273 ms