IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New He wasn't suspended for the you people remark
He was suspended for the original remark and the fact that people were starting to cancel.
Seamus
New No. But Sharpton knew better
and still chased him on it during the interview on Sharpton's show.

Its one of Imus' fallback phrases, yet yesterday Al tried to turn even that statement into a racist slur.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New NO, No, no... nonono.
How DARE you besmirch the Reverend Al Sharpton.

I am appalled. You should not have done it.

No, MUCH worse is required. Please drag it into the putrid mud from a slaughter pig's pen.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Sharpton knew better? What evidence do you have for that?
Sharpton is an agitator and Imus knew what he was getting himself into. 'You people', with its us vs them connotations, has been a term that fairly easily turns tense situations into racial situations. Obviously, he felt he needed to go on Sharpton's show, but he should have been better prepared. You can't go onto someone else's show trying to salvage your reputation AND expect the host behave any differently than he normally does or to be able to change his mind.

It is not fair, but the onus was on Imus prove himself. He didn't and he has no one to blame but himself.

Seamus
New Don's a big boy.
Caveat: I've never seen or listened to his show.

He's a big boy and has been around long enough, and been on the radio long enough, and talked to enough people to know that there are certain expressions that upset people.

"You people" can be quite offensive to some people in certain contexts. Would he have a conversation with Pat Robertson and say "You people..."? I don't think so. There's often a racial undercurrent to it, and people pick up on that. People don't say "Boy" to black men any more, either (and there's a reason why it was never said the same way to white men even though in many contexts it's a harmless word).

This stuff really isn't that difficult to figure out. If you use language with one person that's obviously a member of one racial/gender/ethnic group you wouldn't use with another who isn't, then you should think carefully about the implications of that language. Would Imus want his daughter referred to the same way he referred to the Rutgers team? When he figures out why not, he shouldn't get in these troubles as much.

Sharpton has his audience and his reputation. Imus shouldn't have expected an easy time on the show, and by digging himself in deeper it shows that he still Doesn't Get It yet.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wrong
"Would he have a conversation with Pat Robertson and say "You people..."? I don't think so."

Yes he would. Does it all the time. Its the Imus version of "y'all". Sharpton's been on and I'm sure has listened on and off for years (NY AM radio icon for 30yrs...)

And you know...pop culture is building this double standard. "Ho" and "bitch" are common greetings now in hip-hop. Pop culture is more demeaning to women than Imus could ever be. Its the racial double standard that bugs me the most. A word of a phrase said by one black to another is acceptable, and said by anyone else makes them racist.

New How do you know Sharpton would think that Imus means y'all
when he says you people?

Maybe Imus really means you people when he says you people?

Either way, Imus is there to cover his ass, he wasn't able to do it. Imus is a shark, he knows when there is blood in the water what the other sharks are going to do. He went on Sharpton's show and let himself get bloodied again.

The fact that some young women have bought into the race to the bottom in terms of popular culture makes what Imus said acceptable?

As you can tell I don't listen to Imus, I don't find him funny or entertaining.

There are plenty of double standards in life, and you don't change them just by bitching about them.

Seamus
New Like I said
you don't spend 30 years up here without know Imus's schtik.

Sharpton knows Imus. Thats why, imo, Imus agreed to go on the show in the first place. And Sharpton took advantage to hang a ratings competitor out to dry.

You're right, Don's a big boy and should have know better.

And I've never said the statement was acceptable. Not once. Read my other posts.
New Those words are used in Hip Hop for a reason.
They're used because they're offensive to the society at large. They have shock value and they are meant to indicate that the people saying them are powerful and they don't care about those societal norms. When people outside the group use that language, they aren't using it for the same reasons and shouldn't claim that they words are Ok because some other group uses them. If more "mainstream" people want to play in that sandbox, they need to be prepared to take the dirt and criticism that goes with it. I don't see it as a double-standard so much, myself.

I spent many years in Georgia when I was young - in the 1960s-1970s. There's a big difference between the connotations of "y'all" and "you people" - especially between groups.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I certainly do.
Because it makes a distintion between people and insult...driving to though police.

There should be no difference in reaction to being called a ho by a black man or a white man. The woman should be equally offended. If she is not, then she also is a racist and you have not solved the problem, only made it worse.
     The new racist gotcha - (bepatient) - (80)
         Ding, Ding! Equally hates everyone. -NT - (folkert) - (54)
             Fire Imus -NT - (andread) - (53)
                 No. Keep him. - (folkert) - (52)
                     ever heard of a racist moron? -NT - (andread) - (51)
                         Several - (bepatient) - (2)
                             What TV shows do they have? -NT - (andread) - (1)
                                 Imus was on one of their radio programs -NT - (bepatient)
                         bigot!=racists, you got the moron right -NT - (boxley) - (42)
                             Re: bigot!=racists, you got the moron right - (andread) - (41)
                                 incorrect - (boxley) - (40)
                                     Even so, I'd label him racist -NT - (andread) - (30)
                                         on what basis? Ive never heard him declare folks inferior - (boxley) - (29)
                                             Re: on what basis? Ive never heard him declare folks inferio - (andread) - (28)
                                                 Dont listem to him, havnt in years - (boxley) - (27)
                                                     Box trusting the gov to it's the job? - (Silverlock) - (26)
                                                         Might be mixing bills -NT - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                             You lost me. - (Silverlock) - (23)
                                                                 Re: You lost me. - (bepatient) - (22)
                                                                     Please never take a gov job then. - (Silverlock) - (21)
                                                                         But... - (imric) - (2)
                                                                             Cheeze Louise. That was my damned point. -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                 Ya mean I GOTTA be adversarial? ROFL! -NT - (imric)
                                                                         Thats how I plan to retire - (bepatient) - (17)
                                                                             beep's facile take on the feds - (rcareaga) - (16)
                                                                                 ya gotta remember he lives in Joisey across from philly -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                 Washington ain't "the place to be" - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                                                     joisy jobs - (rcareaga) - (13)
                                                                                         Its very much the same thing - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                             Faith - (rcareaga) - (11)
                                                                                                 sshh, you want us all to get in trouble? -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                 Well at least - (bepatient) - (9)
                                                                                                     'Lose' is such a casual term . . . -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                                                     I bet they would have loved to, but they didn't have time... -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                     So now your position is - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                                                         Now I know you're on crack. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                             I'm just interpreting your writing - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                                 That wouldn't be any fun at all! -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     Neither did the gubmint - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                         But the RNC did; *White House* e-mails. WTFDYM,"conspiracy"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                                             Yea, there's no conspiracy . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                         FCC is an excellent govenment department - (boxley)
                                     What's that, the BOxlish definition of the word? - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                         second entry in an american dictionary - (boxley) - (7)
                                             That's an or-ed list -- it says... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                 caught your punctuation mistake - (lincoln) - (5)
                                                     Sure you caught a mistake, lad - but not mine. HTH! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                         Since your post was far away from his - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                             Wow!! Box made a punctuation error? - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                 I already did - (lincoln)
                                                                 flattery will get you everywhere :-) -NT - (boxley)
                         Have you listened to "Imus in the Morning", his show? - (folkert) - (3)
                             The I-man is the original shock jock. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 Yeah. Now though... - (folkert) - (1)
                                     You should've heard by now. All over but the shouting. -NT - (bepatient)
                         There are no non-racists - (tuberculosis)
         I saw some of that encounter - (tuberculosis)
         why is he suspended for 2 weeks for saying it once - (boxley) - (12)
             Even better... - (bepatient) - (1)
                 As soon as Jesse gets syndicated, fire him. -NT - (Silverlock)
             He wasn't suspended for the you people remark - (Seamus) - (9)
                 No. But Sharpton knew better - (bepatient) - (8)
                     NO, No, no... nonono. - (folkert)
                     Sharpton knew better? What evidence do you have for that? - (Seamus) - (6)
                         Don's a big boy. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                             Wrong - (bepatient) - (4)
                                 How do you know Sharpton would think that Imus means y'all - (Seamus) - (1)
                                     Like I said - (bepatient)
                                 Those words are used in Hip Hop for a reason. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     I certainly do. - (bepatient)
         Sharpton shows up on Hardball - (tuberculosis) - (7)
             I talk to them all the time, no probs. Its an attitude thing -NT - (boxley)
             Even better... - (bepatient) - (4)
                 So it is OK for the pot and kettle - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     What? - (bepatient) - (2)
                         It isn't always about you, you know - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             You posted that as a reply to me. - (bepatient)
             Saw that. - (a6l6e6x)
         "So of course Imus is dead" - (Silverlock) - (2)
             Maybe he'll go to satellite radio - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Assuming satellite radio survives, that is... -NT - (Another Scott)

Reason! Won't you put your blue dress on?
206 ms