IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Actually, I'm getting ready to choose...
The Fuji F20 ... or perhaps the F31 for my wife. She wants to do indoor, no-flash photography of our cats, and our granddaughter (among other things), and with her tremor, the "image stabilization" (it's not real image stabilization, but rather an automatic bump of the ISO number-equivalent, such that the shutter speed is automatically sped up to eliminate jitter; Cannot has no such feature, regardless of what the marketing geniuses call it) and low light capabilities of these two win for her. YMMV.

The F31 has some kind of facial recognition thinger that causes it to adjust the aperature such that faces are supposedly always properly exposed. She's interested in that, but I'm not sure its worth the approx 130 dollar bump in price vs. the F20. The difference between the F20 and F30 are:

- the F20 has a lower resolution viewer LCD (but is the same physical size as the F30)

- the F30 goes to ISO 3200, the F20 to ISO 2000. Most reviewers state that the F30 at 3200 is basically useless (too much noise-to-signal), and that ISO 2000 is about the useful limit for either camera (they both share the same imaging engine)

- the F30 has a pseudo "manual" mode, which again, most reviewers state is about as useful as a toothache

- the F30 is about 50 dollars more expensive.

So it all comes down to whether she really wants the facial recognition geegaw or not. (I find it interesting that she'd even consider it, as she finds our Nikon N70 to be "too complicated" for her Luddite tastes....) If she does really want it, the extra money is not a deterent.
jb4
"When the final history is written in Iraq, [link|http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmate/2006/tmate060926.gif|it'll look just like a comma.]"
George W. Bush, 24 Sep 06
New I went with the Canon SD700 IS
It sounded like the better choice. I ended up getting it from NewEgg due to a 1 GB memory card bundle they had (and the price rose at B&H before I ordered it). The comments here helped quite a bit - thanks everyone.

It arrived yesterday. I hope to be able to do a comparison of it to my Canon S45 after the new year.

Best of luck with the Fuji choice!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Image Stabilization
When I was looking for my camera, I checked out that feature of Fuji. It does not work nearly as well as the real thing. Go to a camera store and compare the image stabilisation of Fuju agains Canon or Panansonic or Sony. You'll see some serious difference...

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

Decisions, decisions: Fujifilm F30 versus Canon SD700 IS - (Another Scott) - (7)
         I like the Canon SD700 IS - (Bman)
         That's a very hard call. - (static) - (2)
             Plus the IS may let you avoid higher the ISO setting - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Dittos. And also better zoom. - (a6l6e6x)
         Actually, I'm getting ready to choose... - (jb4) - (2)
             I went with the Canon SD700 IS - (Another Scott)
             Image Stabilization - (Arkadiy)

Let's get this party started...
37 ms