IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Saw it a couple of nights ago on DVD. * * * *
We enjoyed it. I'm glad it wasn't a straight remake and the effects were obviously much more extreme and "realistic". My left brain took over a few times (e.g., riding down the river), but on the whole I was able to get involved with the story.

Things I liked:
1) Charlie was genuine.
2) Grandpa looked much more frail than in the original movie. I could believe that he (and the others) would have to live in that bed.
3) Depp's Wonka seemed to make much more sense to me. Wilder's version was wonderful, but he just seemed a bit excentric, not quite abnormal enough to build a huge chocolate empire and then shut everyone out.
4) The visuals; especially the house and the Wonkavator!
5) The supporting characters (e.g. the leeches in the final candy store and the good counter man; Mrs. Beauregarde).
6) The dentist back-story and seeing Willy's childhood.
7) The different ending - Wilder's Wonka whipping out the contract, etc., seemed too over the top at the time.
8) All of the Oompa Loompas being played by one person. :-)

Things I didn't like:
1) As with most DVDs these days, the music is TOO DAMNED LOUD for the dialog. We constantly had to turn the volume up for the dialog and down when the music or sound effects start up.
2) Much of the dialog is mumbled. See #1.
3) I love Danny Elfman's music, but maybe it wasn't mixed right - I couldn't make out much (if any) of the lyrics to the Oompa Loompa songs.

I think it's more of a movie for parents that fondly remember the first one than for children these days. I don't think it was especially dark, and I enjoyed Depp's portrayal of Wonka very much. He did seem to get some inspiration from MJ, but that's OK. He brought his own humor to the role.

I don't know if young children would get as much out of it as from WW&tCF, but it's good to have both.

4/5 stars.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Just talked to someone who worked on the board game
She confirmed my impression that some of the set pieces in the movie were designed with an eye toward the merchandising, specifically the video game. Think of the river-boat ride: All those passages and doors, but we never see what's behind them in the movie.

Funny thing was when they told her to make sure the Wonkavator looked like the one in the movie. She asked for some shots to work from, and was told that they were classified. Dilbert via Holloywood, yeehaw.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - (imqwerky) - (28)
         Okay, here it is - (drewk) - (20)
             Thanks - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 Apparently Wonka's father is a dentist - (SpiceWare)
             Re [1]: I, 4 1. Prolly PeeWee and Matt, too; maybe the Ozers -NT - (CRConrad)
             another review described it as a trip to neverland ranch -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 "Why are you touching me? You're not a priest." -NT - (n3jja)
                 True - (drewk)
             Nevermind the moosical - compare to book - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                 Okay: The movie had better music - (drewk)
                 This one's darker - (bepatient) - (8)
                     Oh, and you just reminded me of one of the biggest laughs - (drewk) - (7)
                         I may be a bad judge of this... - (bepatient) - (6)
                             Agreed, worth the price of admission - (drewk) - (5)
                                 How much is actually reality grab - (bepatient) - (3)
                                     I don't think he was intentionally basing it on Jacko - (drewk) - (2)
                                         did you forget the sign? Wonka was just a play on wanker -NT - (boxley)
                                         Oh, nevermind, the singing on the boat was the part - (drewk)
                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Yendor)
                 That does it... - (imqwerky) - (2)
                     THAT isn't quite what I had pegged as your favorite hobby! -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Well, one of them. ;-) - (imqwerky)
         One word review from my son - (andread) - (1)
             We knew that before seeing it -NT - (drewk)
         Oh, he did. - (static)
         Finally got to see it - (imqwerky) - (1)
             I was disappointed in most of the kids - (tuberculosis)
         Saw it a couple of nights ago on DVD. * * * * - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Just talked to someone who worked on the board game - (drewk)

Got root?
56 ms