IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Top 20 geek novels
1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams 85% (102)
2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell 79% (92)
3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley 69% (77)
4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick 64% (67)
5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson 59% (66)
6. Dune -- Frank Herbert 53% (54)
7. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov 52% (54)
8. Foundation -- Isaac Asimov 47% (47)
9. The Colour of Magic -- Terry Pratchett 46% (46)
10. Microserfs -- Douglas Coupland 43% (44)
11. Snow Crash -- Neal Stephenson 37% (37)
12. Watchmen -- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons 38% (37)
13. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson 36% (36)
14. Consider Phlebas -- Iain M Banks 34% (35)
15. Stranger in a Strange Land -- Robert Heinlein 33% (33)
16. The Man in the High Castle -- Philip K Dick 34% (32)
17. American Gods -- Neil Gaiman 31% (29)
18. The Diamond Age -- Neal Stephenson 27% (27)
19. The Illuminatus! Trilogy -- Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson 23% (21)
20. Trouble with Lichen - John Wyndham 21% (19)

From [link|http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2005/11/09/top_20_geek_novels_the_results.html|The Guardian]

I guess I'm only three quarters geek as I've only read 15 of these.
-----------------------------------------
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New Wow.
Only read 5 of 'em myself. Numbers 1, 2, 3, 8, and 13.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New I own 8 of them.
1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 14 and 19.

By a country mile, the best 3 are 2, 3 and 14.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 23, 2005, 02:18:59 PM EST
New I'm missing 10, 12, 19, and 20
New I've read 14 of them.
The ones I haven't read:

When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New read all but #19 but where is tolkien?
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New I have all but 10, 12, 17, 20.
Although I'm pretty sure I could care less about reading Microserfs.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New put American Gods onto your list
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
New Ditto

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:36:56 AM EDT
New I may have read one of them - two on the outside . . .
. . but that was in my tender youth.

Oh well, my geek credentials were already pretty weak.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Believe me when I say this Andrew
I've met you. Your geek credentials are strong. Strong like Tarzan's loin cloth.
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New 5 / 20 read here.
New Re: 5 / 20 read here.
Same here.

Brenda

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
New 10 out of 20.
Yup:
1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams 85% (102)
2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell 79% (92)
3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley 69% (77)
4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick 64% (67)
5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson 59% (66)
6. Dune -- Frank Herbert 53% (54)
7. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov 52% (54)
8. Foundation -- Isaac Asimov 47% (47)
11. Snow Crash -- Neal Stephenson 37% (37)
15. Stranger in a Strange Land -- Robert Heinlein 33% (33)

Nope:
9. The Colour of Magic -- Terry Pratchett 46% (46)
12. Watchmen -- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons 38% (37)
13. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson 36% (36)
18. The Diamond Age -- Neal Stephenson 27% (27)
New So then I'm 90 % geek - haven't read 17 & 20. (AFAICT.)
Bowing down before Über-geek BOxley's 95 %, I can't help but agree with Scott on Microserfs.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New not so much geekiness as reading nut, 5-7 books a week
although lately I tried to read "the quiet frenchman" but could finish it. Last time that happened was during one of mailer's later works. 180 pages in and the characters were still carbourd cutouts. That could have been the translation although I really dont think so.
thaqx,
bill

New Mailer as in Norman?
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New yup nogrok any of his stuff since the utah execution book

New I havent read any of them
Hmmmm. Maybe I dont belong in these forums......
Follow your MOUSE
New You must read #1
It's the only one that I have read. I have read four books of the trilogy.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New No, no. She (and you) must read #2.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

It's [link|http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/|online], so there's no excuse. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Right now I'm re-reading all my psychotherapy texts.
I been doing crisis work for so long I'm worried that my other skills have gotten a little rusty. I'm great at slapping on the psychological bandaid- now I have to focus on what to do when the bandaid is ready to come off. I start my job next week. The dictum "First, do no harm", is running through my head, as is the prayer, "please God, dont let me f*ck anyone up".
Follow your MOUSE
New You'll do great. 1984 can wait, so to speak. :-)
New as long as the do no harm mantra is there you'll be alright
you must be a good listener to be in the field so thats a plus. Just dont end up with a lot of substance abuse clients, they are usually boring and hard to focus on,
thanx,
bill

New You can practice on me
I'll tell you if you are fscking up LOL

Seriously, you'll do great. Stop doubting and start believing. Put your positive affirmations on the mirror.

Go, Laura!

Hugs,
Amy

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." ~ George Eliot
New Yeah, I'll be okay.
I'm very aware that clients are consumers who will pay a lot of money for my services. I want them to feel it was money well spent.

Follow your MOUSE
New I like that prayer.
Terse, pithy, dense* and heartfelt. You sound like one of the good ones.

*Dense as in high content per word.
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New Thanks. I use that prayer on my kids, too!
Follow your MOUSE
New Re: You must read #1
For geek factor, yes, #1 is a requirement. However, I think that 1984 and Brave New World are much more important on the must-read scale.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Missing 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20
These days my taste runs towards adventure/travel nonfiction.

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0767915305|The Sex Lives of Cannibals : Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific]

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1873475934|Running a Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet]

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586482378/|Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, and a Journey to the Ends of the Earth]

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345420047|A Viking Voyage : In Which an Unlikely Crew of Adventurers Attempts an Epic Journey to the New World]

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395669944|The Search for the Pink-Headed Duck: A Journey into the Himalayas and Down the Brahmaputra]

[link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0924486201|Desperate Voyage] (Stranded in Panama post WW II, buys a little boat to try to get home to Australia to reach his fiance, with virtually no knowledge of sailing or navigation. That is real love (or something) that is).

That sort of thing. I seem to find myself more interested in the world we're destroying than in the one we are creating.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:37:02 AM EDT
New Re: Top 20 geek novels
I could only count 5 that I can definitely say I've read (1, 6, 7, 8 & 15), I can't remember if I've read 4 or 20 but the titles sound familiar, and I've seen the movies based on 2 of them (3 and 6). Guess that means I'm not a particularly geeky reader.
New Read 7 of the 20
And agree that Tolkien should be on the list somewhere.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New 6/20

Have tried to read 13 several times...Hard one to get into.

Can't believe they only have one Terry Pratchett novel on there! Boo! Hiss!

What about Ender's Game? (Currently reading that one. Ha!)

Peace,
Amy

New The Tolkein complaint
From what I know of this survey, a list of titles were offered to vote on. It may be that Tolkein is so much in the fabric of geekdom, it was considered a given.
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New 3 by Neal Stephenson made it on the list???
I have read 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 15, 16, 17 and 19.

Of those I disliked 13, 15, and 19. (Note: There is a reason that I have only read one by Stephenson.)

When I say disliked 19, I am being generous. I read it as a teenager and am amazed that I finished that piece of crap.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I thought that was a bit much myself

New Ditto.
New Kinda mixed-bag innit?
First, I'd expand 9, 20; 9. Pratchett has got to deserve 5 mentions out of any '20'. And re 20. those who have never read [link|http://www.kymlicka.ca/stephen/wyndham.htm| Wyndham] (I've read them all, incl. a couple early collaborations not quite so good) have missed a difference between ElectricKoolaid-yada mere mechanical zaniness and.. marvelously wrought, believable extrapolation. Note how many of his ideas --> movies, whether acknowledged or no.

And surely BNW and 1984 are on many lists beyond geekdom (which transcends ITdom, in my lexicon.) If going that far afield - messy because its All up for ratings, including, on This list: surely at least one of Feynman's normal-human books and The. Lectures. And then there's ... ...

4. 15. - I'd expand to "most.. of PKd's short stories", collected in even bucolic library editions (if my local experience is typ.) PKD IMO was no ordinary genius, and the techno aspect is subservient to his wry dissection of homo-sap weirdness on many scales.

(I too would put microserfs or-by-any-name in the Hideous Pron file.)

Guess I get ~ 12; 14 if include skimming of Dune; unsure how much Illuminatus I managed to process long ago. Esoterica for the unwashed.

WTF - these Lists == Rorschachs. Again.

otpy
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 23, 2005, 11:53:20 PM EST
New PKD is too goddamn depressing
Androids was kinda cool, but anything else I read from him left me suicidal.
New (author not responsible for assigned prison planet)

New Color of magic is one of his earliest and weakest
should be a better book or two - Small Gods remains my fave.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:40:55 AM EDT
New The smartarse style gets on my pecs.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New 'Pyramids' is the one usually recommended to newcomers.
'Guards! Guards!' is also a good starting point.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Monstrous Regiment is one of my favs

New Not by me. I recommend Small Gods first.
Unless I suspect that the person would like a different variant of Pratchett, in which case I might recommend something like Lords and Ladies.

Not that Pyramids is bad - quite the contrary in fact - but it isn't my favorite.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Lords and Ladies was my favourite for a long time.
I was going to post that I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone interested in sampling the series, but now that I think about it, it is one of the very best ones, showcasing his style very well. It's just that it's sorta a sequel to Witches Abroad.

Pyramids is widely considered a good introduction to the series. It's typical of many of the later books without relying on characters that have been around before. It also has scenes like the test in the Assassin's Guild. Small Gods is a good standalone book if you think the person may not read any others anyway.

The Truth is also possibly a good starting point, except that so much of what makes it good is a) what someone tries *again* (i.e. knock off Vetinari) and b) what is now being allowed from that book forward (i.e. movable printing).

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Depends on mood, day, etc; just read them all... easier.
New Must___conserve.
Have taken a break, acquiring the lot.. Can't tell how long the National Madness shall persist; dare not run out of TP before, at least the impeachments begin.

New I've read 1,3,9,10,15,
1 - truly fab of course
3 - Enjoyed it, even though it was a school text
9 - Complete yawnfest, had great difficulty dragging my eyes over each page to reach the end
10 - Really enjoyed it, maybe I was young and naieve :)
15 - An interesting gift from an interesting person. But I probably didn't fully grok it at the time.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
     Top 20 geek novels - (Silverlock) - (48)
         Wow. - (Yendor) - (1)
             I own 8 of them. - (pwhysall)
         I'm missing 10, 12, 19, and 20 -NT - (hnick)
         I've read 14 of them. - (inthane-chan)
         read all but #19 but where is tolkien? -NT - (boxley)
         I have all but 10, 12, 17, 20. - (admin) - (2)
             put American Gods onto your list -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Ditto -NT - (tuberculosis)
         I may have read one of them - two on the outside . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Believe me when I say this Andrew - (Silverlock)
         5 / 20 read here. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: 5 / 20 read here. - (Nightowl)
         10 out of 20. - (broomberg)
         So then I'm 90 % geek - haven't read 17 & 20. (AFAICT.) - (CRConrad) - (3)
             not so much geekiness as reading nut, 5-7 books a week - (boxley) - (2)
                 Mailer as in Norman? -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     yup nogrok any of his stuff since the utah execution book -NT - (boxley)
         I havent read any of them - (bionerd) - (10)
             You must read #1 - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                 No, no. She (and you) must read #2. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     Right now I'm re-reading all my psychotherapy texts. - (bionerd) - (6)
                         You'll do great. 1984 can wait, so to speak. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         as long as the do no harm mantra is there you'll be alright - (boxley)
                         You can practice on me - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             Yeah, I'll be okay. - (bionerd)
                         I like that prayer. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Thanks. I use that prayer on my kids, too! -NT - (bionerd)
                 Re: You must read #1 - (Yendor)
         Missing 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20 - (tuberculosis)
         Re: Top 20 geek novels - (Moriarty)
         Read 7 of the 20 - (bepatient)
         6/20 - (imqwerky)
         The Tolkein complaint - (Silverlock)
         3 by Neal Stephenson made it on the list??? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             I thought that was a bit much myself -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 Ditto. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Kinda mixed-bag innit? - (Ashton) - (10)
             PKD is too goddamn depressing - (broomberg) - (1)
                 (author not responsible for assigned prison planet) -NT - (Ashton)
             Color of magic is one of his earliest and weakest - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 The smartarse style gets on my pecs. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 'Pyramids' is the one usually recommended to newcomers. - (static) - (5)
                     Monstrous Regiment is one of my favs -NT - (boxley)
                     Not by me. I recommend Small Gods first. - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Lords and Ladies was my favourite for a long time. - (static) - (2)
                             Depends on mood, day, etc; just read them all... easier. -NT - (hnick) - (1)
                                 Must___conserve. - (Ashton)
         I've read 1,3,9,10,15, - (Meerkat)

China...
195 ms