IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No! I did not screw myself out of a job! :-)
Offer came in today. 15K/yr more than I make now. I accepted on the spot.
I start in 2 weeks. Woo woo!
Jesus was a star last week.
Now he's tending bar on Melrose.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New congratulations!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Yay! and Woo!
congratulations.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New Yay! Good things DO happen to good people!
New Woo! And Yay!
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New HOORAH!
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

[link|http://www.mepis.com|[image|http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/mepislovers/downloads/mepis-buttons/getmepis_computer-1.png||||]]
New Congratumalations!
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Congratulations!!!
New Good to hear.
New glad yer now employed with wages even!
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Way to go!

"Pie: it's what's for dinner."
New Waitaminnit
You're currently unemployed. This gig pays $15k more than you're getting now. Uhhh ... that kinda sucks.

Oh hold on ... you meant $15k more than you had been making. <emily_letilla>Nevermind.</emily_letilla>
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
New Yeah-
I meant 15k more than my last job. Silly. Which means I can start to crawl out of the post divorce debt I've incurred and start getting back on track with my finances. HUGE relief.

I'll also continue to do some consulting work for my last employer. I wont have to respond to mass casualty disasters anymore- also a relief. That was grim work. Now I'll be working with the docs, coordinating treatment for psych patients who access services through the University Health system. I'll be dealing with your garden variety suicidal and psychotic folks again.

And.. the friend of mine I referred over to U of M for a job- she got hired, too. I will be her boss. I just got off the phone with her.

Ahhhh.. It's all good.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Very good indeed. :-)
New The more you post, the better it sounds. Congrats again!
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New See? We had faith in you! (So do they.)
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Woo, woo, indeed!
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Sweet!
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Now get your kids to dance and sing "You da woman!"
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
Expand Edited by warmachine Oct. 10, 2005, 01:09:28 PM EDT
New They'll be singing until
they find out they have to go into daycare before and after school. I have to cushion that blow by telling them they'll get an increase in their allowance since I'm making more money. It'll all work out.

Right?
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Oh, dear. Doubt.
You want to be in a job you like as fast as possible. I suspect a long period of unemployment or a dead end job would destroy you. It would certainly destroy me. Any child would suffer under a mother with wrecked finances and self-esteem.

So, you'll have less time with them. That means you leave work on time for the 'quality time appointment' and that's non-negotiable. Work will have to be taken home and completed when they're asleep. Maybe the daycare can be sold as a chance to meet other friends. At their age, they should be less dependent on parents but you understand that infinitely better than I do. Maybe you can tell your son he has to look after his sister. Failing that, there's always the mobile 'phone.

At the risk of insulting you, never be tempted to replace MacDonalds for cooking. A new cookbook might save time.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Rachel Ray
[link|http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tm|http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tm]

Everything from scratch in under 30 minutes. It's how I cook. I hate when the prep takes longer than the eating.
===

New That's "Rachael"
...and she looks as good in person as she does on TV. :)

Giada's got some good recipes as well, you know. Not necessarily as quick, but damn tasty.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
New My father-in-law can't stand her: too cheery
===

New She is awfully perky, isnt she?
But I like her shows.She's cool.

I should go pick up one of her 30 min meal cookbooks. Good idea. Thanks.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Wow, that would never work for me.
I inhale food; I'm usually done with dinner in five minutes.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New Dont worry. I'm not insulted
Thanks for the pep talk.

As we pulled into McDonalds tonight my son told me, "no offense, but you're a really bad cook." Gee, thanks, kid. shut up and eat your nuggets and apples.

In my defense, I'm not a bad cook. I just hate to cook. So I dont make elaborate meals too often.

But you're right. My time is going to be limited, and to me, spending time with my kids is more important than slaving away in the kitchen. So I have to prioritize, make choices, and get really organized. This is when my anal type-A personality is going to come in handy.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Marinating is your friend.
Most meats can be marinated for extended periods, and they end up tasting better for it. Some of the tougher cuts of steak (read: cheaper), like flank and brisket, require long cooking times, and are actually helped along by a good marinade. Try this for starters:

Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup soy or worcestershire sauce (or both!)
2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green onion (white and green parts), chopped
2 tbsp honey
flank steak
1-gal Ziploc bag

Combine all food items in Ziploc bag. Let soak overnight. Toss on grill (or grill pan) for 4-7 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like it. Remove from grill pan. Let rest 10 minutes. Cut on the bias against the grain. Serve with rice and sliced carrots. If you like, make a brown sugar glaze for the carrots (1 tbsp melted butter, and melt in 1 tbsp packed brown sugar.)

Another thing that's good for cooking is a crock pot. Yes, they're so 1970's. But ya know what? Like fondue, they're good.

So go get yourself a beef brisket. Toss it in your crock pot with an inch or two of water. Chop up a white or yellow onion, two if they're small. Toss in a few rough-chopped carrots. Celery is good, too. Turn your crock pot on low (should be 8-10 hours cook time) before you leave for work. If you have a breadmaker, set that up to have your bread ready when you arrive home. Your kids will love walking into a house that smells of both fresh bread and pot roast that's been cooking all day.
-YendorMike

New Don't forget the beer!
One for the cook and one for the brisket.

Or, in my house, take large swig before pouring the rest on the brisket.

Meat tenderizer/flavor enhancer without all that MSG.

(Hiccup) Mighty fine!

Save a piece for me :-D
Amy

Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly!
New Mmmm. Beer.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New MEAT?!?
Remember who you're talking to here! I do cook it up for the kids on occassion, so I'll give your recipes a try. Great idea about the crock pot and bread maker. I have both and wouldnt have thought about pulling them out. It will be so nice to come home to a fully cooked meal. Almost like having a maid! Thanks!
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Yes, meat. (new thread)
Created as new thread #229098 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=229098|Yes, meat.]
-YendorMike

New Good / Simple Meals
Buy a Crock Pot. There are these Crock Pot Classics for about $5, sometimes $4 on sale.

My wife works and we get one about once a week.

I scramble eggs, cook bacon, and put all of it in a tortilla with some hot sauce.

Pre-made salad bags, about $1.50 to $2. Cantelopes are still in season in Texas, they don't last an hour in the house with a 5, 8, and 10 year old.

Frozen pizza, but we buy the "good" kind, or supplement it with extra cheese.

My wife and I like the stir fry skillet chinese, but the kids don't.

Ask for a "George Foreman" grill for Christmas and some pre-patted hamburger meat.

Of course, all this assumes that you're not a vegaterian or some other dietary restrictions for you or the kids.
New with a positive attitude and support it will
daycare is a very poor substitute for a parent (or trusted relative). Do what you have to, but if you can arrange some after school activities, sports, clubs, friends... all the better
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New You will do your best and they will thrive
Kids are far more resiliant than guilty parents fear.

Just make sure that your kids don't see the allowance increase as being directly tied to not seeing you. Not, for instance, a sign that you're feeling guilty. I'd specifically suggest breaking the news of the allowance increase and the extra daycare on separate occasions.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Awesome!
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New !!!!!!GREAT!!!!!! It couldn't happen to a nicer gal.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Yay!!!
That's great Laura! I've been praying and praying for you!

I'm so relieved you're gonna be okay now!

Congrats!

Brenda

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
New Thank you, Brenda
Your prays worked. I'm really touched that you did that for me.
Thanks.
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Err, excuse me.
Doesn't it usually work out that screwing is what you do to *get* the job? Maybe that's only in the movies.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New Errr..Mostly a female dominated industry
I wasnt that desperate!

Welcome to Hollywood.
New w00t!
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Awesome!! :-)
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Cool beans

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New never take the first offer. negotiate. make then show you...
how much they want you...
you've accepted already. oh. well, then congratulations. :-)
(I would have done the same. 15k more? where do I sign...)
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New I accepted because I knew I was at the top of the pay range
for my position. They told me the pay scale and asked me where I saw myself. I told them I expected to get top salary, and then I sold them I why I deserved it. They agreed. Nothing really to negotiate!
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Bitchin!
'Sabout Time! we heard something Cheery to ameliorate the depraved gross enviro.

And.. ya gets to start with an acquaintance/friend, while learning the Ropes..
Good Breeding tells! ;-)
[No one here would be crass-enough to Run with that, we can be sure. We gots cuth.]

(I may now snuff that candle, for recycling to the next situation which demands the intercession of Azatoth. :-)

Enjoy! (er, try to walk-Amok, y'hear; never run with scissors!)
Celebration Suggestion:

Take the troops to see: The NEW Wallace & Gromit MOVIE!! <<<
And DVD all the rest - especially, Wrong Trousers!
Five Years of claymation Work - It cannot be other that Superb.
It'll be for me a Rare trip to a movie-haus.. fersure.

Aardman/Nick Parks - Virtuosos. Bet Terry Pratchett will go, too - - -

moi

New A most excellent idea, Ashton
I think we'll go see it Friday night. We're big W&G fans over here. My favorite line from Chicken Run is "I dont want to be a pie!". Make sure you say it in a high-pitched chicken voice :-)
Welcome to Hollywood.
New regarding Chicken Run
it took aaages for it to arrive in Australian cinemas. So much so that the DVD had been released in the US, I ordered it from Amazon or whoever, and it arrived the day before it had even started screening in Australia.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting to the point...

Of course, I invited some friends over, and what did I cook for dinner? Chicken pie. :)

Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New I dont want to be a pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to Hollywood.
New Too late.... *cough*..... hair-ball.......... ;-)
New Getting a group of yahoos together for: Soon.
I figure that a couple of hours of Nick Parks can cancel out Oh.. ~ 100? inane photo-ops by the Doofus-in-Charge.

Think.. innoculation of one's central nervous system from all sub-species of bozozoons with the kinky tails.

New CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!
New The Drought is Over!
Glad to hear that this season of discontent is turning the corner. Congratulations, Laura-Girl! I just know that the kids will do fine. Always remember...If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :-)

Regarding cooking, a really good way to conquer the "What's for dinner" beast: cook on the weekends with the kids. They will learn to cook, you will be spending quality time with them and you will fill your freezer for the week. Go to Flylady.net and check out Saving Dinner.

Fly Lady rox, and so do you!

Peace and hugs,
Amy

Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly!
New Congrats!
I've been through lengthy unemployment and wondering how much longer the savings will last is not a pleasant experience.

Wade.
d-_-b
New Tops news!
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Bravo! Joining in being happy for you!
New Hoo-fscking-RAY!
Aw-right! Good news!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New obLateCongrats!
     No! I did not screw myself out of a job! :-) - (bionerd) - (58)
         congratulations! -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Yay! and Woo! - (Silverlock)
         Yay! Good things DO happen to good people! -NT - (hnick)
         Woo! And Yay! -NT - (drewk)
         HOORAH! -NT - (imric)
         Congratumalations! -NT - (Yendor)
         Congratulations!!! -NT - (Another Scott)
         Good to hear. -NT - (JayMehaffey)
         glad yer now employed with wages even! -NT - (boxley)
         Way to go! -NT - (ChrisR)
         Waitaminnit - (drewk) - (3)
             Yeah- - (bionerd) - (2)
                 Very good indeed. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 The more you post, the better it sounds. Congrats again! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         See? We had faith in you! (So do they.) -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Woo, woo, indeed! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Sweet! -NT - (SpiceWare)
         Now get your kids to dance and sing "You da woman!" -NT - (warmachine) - (16)
             They'll be singing until - (bionerd) - (15)
                 Oh, dear. Doubt. - (warmachine) - (12)
                     Rachel Ray - (drewk) - (4)
                         That's "Rachael" - (Yendor) - (2)
                             My father-in-law can't stand her: too cheery -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                 She is awfully perky, isnt she? - (bionerd)
                         Wow, that would never work for me. - (inthane-chan)
                     Dont worry. I'm not insulted - (bionerd) - (6)
                         Marinating is your friend. - (Yendor) - (4)
                             Don't forget the beer! - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                 Mmmm. Beer. -NT - (bionerd)
                             MEAT?!? - (bionerd) - (1)
                                 Yes, meat. (new thread) - (Yendor)
                         Good / Simple Meals - (gdaustin)
                 with a positive attitude and support it will - (cforde)
                 You will do your best and they will thrive - (ben_tilly)
         Awesome! -NT - (admin)
         !!!!!!GREAT!!!!!! It couldn't happen to a nicer gal. -NT - (bepatient)
         Yay!!! - (Nightowl) - (1)
             Thank you, Brenda - (bionerd)
         Err, excuse me. - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Errr..Mostly a female dominated industry - (bionerd)
         w00t! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Awesome!! :-) -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         Cool beans -NT - (tuberculosis)
         never take the first offer. negotiate. make then show you... - (cforde) - (1)
             I accepted because I knew I was at the top of the pay range - (bionerd)
         Bitchin! - (Ashton) - (5)
             A most excellent idea, Ashton - (bionerd) - (4)
                 regarding Chicken Run - (Meerkat) - (2)
                     I dont want to be a pie!!!!!!!!!!!!! -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                         Too late.... *cough*..... hair-ball.......... ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
                 Getting a group of yahoos together for: Soon. - (Ashton)
         CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!! -NT - (broomberg)
         The Drought is Over! - (imqwerky)
         Congrats! - (static)
         Tops news! -NT - (Meerkat)
         Bravo! Joining in being happy for you! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Hoo-fscking-RAY! - (jb4)
         obLateCongrats! -NT - (inthane-chan)

The simplest explanation is that I'm an idiot!
161 ms