IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Can you find the pattern?
I'm trying to reverse-engineer a table - not sure if there actually is a pattern, but here's the values:

1  - 625\n2  - 80\n3  - 25\n4  - 10\n5  - 5\n6  - 3\n7  - 2\n8+ - 1

It starts off vaguely Fibonaccish, but there may not be a pattern, and that's why my brain is twigging on it.
apt-get install godlike-powers
New Looks like there are squares and sums of squares involved...
New I recall a series, demo'ed on a blackboard
(On the topic of, 'presumptions' IIRC)

~
xxx (forgot)

Mere quadratics will Do that.
Alas, too unused a sandbox for me to replay without pain.
Good luck on the Possibilities.

Old story, maybe involving (not Von Neumann) Bethe? and a decent math/physics guy. The number 1729? came up and one of them dubbed it, 'uninteresting'..

Other replied ~NOOoooo - it is the first sum of two cubes (3 cubes?) which ..
It takes a specially-warped mind.

New Ramanujan.
[link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671750615/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-5997129-1750200?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance|Amazon].

Neat guy and a good book.

As I recall, the numbers had to do with some prime numbers.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Was going to say, "wasn't it that Indian guy?"...
...but fortunately the Other Scott saved me from the humiliation of not remembering the name.

I *think* the thing about the number is that it's the lowest one that is the sum of two cubes, in two different ways (i'e, it's the lowest one that can be written both A^3+B^3 and C^3+D^3 (where A, B, C, and D are presumably positive integers)). Or was that 1741?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New It was the sum of 2 cubes
1729 = 1^3 + 12^3 = 9^3 + 10^3.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Hey, I got his name right. :-)
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(anecdote)|1729].

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Holy Prodigy, Mathman
Besides alt.math, WTF can you go 'sides IWE, mention some number offhand, and find that (at least 3 so far) have heard of That-number and are close / or dead-on as to its er, significance-if-any !?

MUTANTS - You. Are. All. MUTANTS.

I must make the sole-saving fish sign, now.

\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd
\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd

New :-)
New No, I'm not insane.
Given that series of numbers, only the insane could find a pattern. Or really genius level folks who can find a pattern using chaos theory in any random sequence of numbers. I'm not a genius nor am I insane.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New It's a trick. Get an axe.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New No arthropoids. No lizards. No invertabrates. No ads.
New What does make me?
If I solved it with more of the table and context, does that make me a lesser genius or a lesser lunatic?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New er, lovable nutcase?

New I knew that.
Uh, Yeah, learned it when I was 3. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I was a child prodigy. Yeah.

1729 is the number of times I tell my kids to clean their rooms.

They don't get the joke.
Can't understand it.
They're smart.

I mean, I got it when I was their age.

Tsk, tsk.

;-)

Peace,
Amy

Illegitimi non corborundum.
New I reckon none
The sequence (in reverse) looks exponential but such values become linear after applying a logarithm function. Log base 10

1 - 2.8
2 - 1.9
3 - 1.4
4 - 1.0
5 - 0.7
6 - 0.5
7 - 0.3
8 - 0.0

Can't see anything here.

I also ran an inverse tangent function but that didn't show anything either.

I say it's trial and error data.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
New Cool, thanks.
If anybody might recognize the sequence, it would most likely be you - it's the axis of the size modification to weapons table based on ammunition carried for the 2nd edition Heavy Gear tactical game. Although you're probably more of a Battletech guy based on the picture...
New Que?
Umm.. Please rephrase that. Do you mean that the larger the weapon, the less ammo it carries in a fixed-size module?
Matthew Greet

New Basically.
The table is something like this:

Weapon size bonus: 0    +1    +2    +3\nBase weapon size:\n1                 625  2500 10000 40000\n2                  80   320  1280  5120\n3                  25   100   400  1600\n4                  10    40   160   640\n5                   5    20    80   320\n6                   3    12    48   192\n7                   2     8    32   128\n8-9                 1     4    16    64\n10-19               1     3     9    27\n20+                 1     2     4     8

And it goes out to +5, however that formula was easy to figure out. Weapons have a base size, depending on the amount of ammo given to it the base size increases. No vehicle can carry a weapon larger than the size of the vehicle without stabilizer mounts; with stabilizer mounts deployed (which takes one action and the vehicle must be at a stop) it can carry a weapon two sizes larger than itself.

My guess is from what you say you haven't played it. You should check it out; it's a very fast effects-based game with some seriously flexible vehicle design rules. You can see a "light" version of the rules [link|http://www.dp9.com/PDF/VCS.pdf|here]. What they're lacking is rules for aircraft/spacecraft and a good deal of the perks, flaws, and weaponry.
New Bit of handhacking
Thank you for giving us the context from the beginning.

The formula is 640/(base^3) * (4^bonus) with handhacked rounding. Each +1 size bonus gives 4 times, of course. Each doubling of base weapon size reduces count by 1/8.

Base weapon size makes sense and appears to be a linear scale of growth in all 3 dimensions. Weapon size bonus strikes me as nonsensical.
Matthew Greet

New Sorry about that...
Figured the first set of numbers would have been enough - and I actually didn't extend the table out as far as it goes, out to +5. I had already figured out the *4 bit myself, was pretty obvious.
New Actually, it's silly
I should have written this before. Describing size by its dimensions, rather than volume, is strange precisely because it requires tables like these. Base weapon size on volume, describe vehicles by capacity and divide one by the other. A much more natural system. No wonder I couldn't guess it the first time.

And the limiting factor in modern vehicles tends to be weight, not volume. What does the Heavy Gear fictional universe use? Honeycomb aluminium?
Matthew Greet

New Actually, the whole thing is 'effects based'.
'Size' per se is actually a volume-based measurement, not weight-based. It can be used to define weight as well, but it is mainly used to determine how many units can fit in a single hex, or in a carrying compartment of a larger vehicle. A vehicle can carry as many weapons systems as it likes, just each weapon system can't exceed the size of a vehicle without having the stabilizer perk.

3rd edition has done away with weapon size all together, but I have a ton of legacy 2nd edition stuff, and that's what I'm working with. There's a fair number of people who don't like 3rd edition much, and I'm broke, so I'm not picking it up.
New Real classics should flash or jiggle or fade to black.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New That's just plain nuts
A vehicle can carry as many weapon systems as it likes and the only limiting factor is, presumably, points value of the scenario. That makes no sense whatsoever. So what the hell is the table about?
Matthew Greet

New It helps if you understand the action system.
A vehicle with a single occupant can take one action per turn in addition to moving. If they want more than one action, they have to take a -1 per additional action to each action they do that turn. So, a person taking 3 actions will take a -2 to every action they make that turn - including defense rolls.

So yes, you can load your vehicle down with twenty light railguns, but you can only fire one per turn, at a single target[1] unless you want to get hit a lot and miss a lot, AND it will cost a lot - enough for the other side to purchase several railgun-toting vehicles. Quite a bit different from Battletech where you can fire all your weapons at different targets each turn without any penalty other than heat. Each of the weapons are sufficiently lethal that multiple weapon firings are not needed. If you're curious I can provide examples.

The point behind the size chart is to provide guidelines for what can reasonably fit inside a given vehicle based on its size. For example, you wouldn't put a Heavy Rail Gun (size 12, generally mounted in tanks) in an APC (size 8-10) or a Heavy Gear (size 6-7). You might find one in a Strider (size 10) with one in it, but it will take the stabilizer mount perk for that weapon, and will have to stop moving to use it. It also won't have a lot of ammunition for that weapon.

[1] There are, of course, rules for walking fire and saturating fire with high ROF weapons. There are also weapon links, but they get expensive fast, and you can still only fire at a single target with them...
New Designers aren't maths geeks, then
If that table is a guideline for number of weapons in a vehicle, then weapon size is not based on volume or weight 'cos the maths doesn't work. And an increase in weapon size bonus of 1 multiplies weapon count by 4. What the hell is that modelling? 40,000 size 1, +2 size bonus weapons? I'm sure Heavy Gear is a fun game but my sceptic alarms are screaming "Nonsensical model!" and "Rules abuse city!". No doubt, the cost of linking weapons has to be expensive to patch the abuse of having 40,000, linked weapons firing as one action.

How did the designers invent the game? Invent numbers and publish it before they checked the maths?
Matthew Greet

New Whoops, misunderstanding.
The returned value is the amount of AMMUNITION that each weapon can carry, not the number of weapons.

So, a size three weapon in a size six vehicle could theoretically carry 1600 rounds of ammunition. That much ammunition is pretty much overkill - the "highest" ROF weapon (Light Anti-Aircraft Cannon) in the game can expend a maximum of 60 rounds per action.
New Different silliness, then
Having read the light rules, each weapon type appears to have a ammo multiplier to simulate different weapons characteristics. As the base weapon size is fixed and only depends on the weapon type, the ammo of a base size weapon depends entirely on the weapon type. The figures shown in the ammo table are arbitrary and the difference between rows is meaningless. The weapon ammo multiplier for each weapon type could be replaced by the base ammo count and the ammo table replaced by a single row table of multipliers.

Think I'll stop there.

Matthew Greet

New A lot of times that stuff is hand-crafted.
Leaving the inevitable hot spots and nodes for canny players to exploit. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yep.
But these guys are math geeky enough (Dream Pod 9, see the above construction system) that I could see them actually having some real numbers in there.
New You can't do it without spiral-boundedness.

Can you find the pattern? - (inthane-chan) - (31)
         Looks like there are squares and sums of squares involved... -NT - (Another Scott)
         I recall a series, demo'ed on a blackboard - (Ashton) - (6)
             Ramanujan. - (Another Scott)
             Was going to say, "wasn't it that Indian guy?"... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 It was the sum of 2 cubes - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Hey, I got his name right. :-) - (Another Scott)
             Holy Prodigy, Mathman - (Ashton) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         No, I'm not insane. - (Silverlock) - (4)
             It's a trick. Get an axe. -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 No arthropoids. No lizards. No invertabrates. No ads. -NT - (inthane-chan)
             What does make me? - (warmachine) - (1)
                 er, lovable nutcase? -NT - (Ashton)
         I knew that. - (imqwerky)
         I reckon none - (warmachine) - (15)
             Cool, thanks. - (inthane-chan) - (14)
                 Que? - (warmachine) - (11)
                     Basically. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                         Bit of handhacking - (warmachine) - (9)
                             Sorry about that... - (inthane-chan)
                             Actually, it's silly - (warmachine) - (7)
                                 Actually, the whole thing is 'effects based'. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                                     Real classics should flash or jiggle or fade to black. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                     That's just plain nuts - (warmachine) - (4)
                                         It helps if you understand the action system. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                             Designers aren't maths geeks, then - (warmachine) - (2)
                                                 Whoops, misunderstanding. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                     Different silliness, then - (warmachine)
                 A lot of times that stuff is hand-crafted. - (admin) - (1)
                     Yep. - (inthane-chan)
         You can't do it without spiral-boundedness. -NT - (tuberculosis)

Not a wholesome trottin' race, no!
119 ms