IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, that's the umm Military solution..
It's possible to deescalate interspecies competition . . . well, somewhat.

Others' situation(s) may well be different and not amenable to Psych-Warfare; attitudes also at variance to my general one re the fauna I live amidst (from increasingly docile=unscared lizards on up to deer-size, feeding on the Thompson grapes which I eschew anyway). I figure ants and most other critters are OK. Outside. I also transport-out spiders of a certain size via water glass + cardboard.
One need not be a Jain to practice ahimsa within the World of Duality/Illusion, ya know?

Have made a habit of keeping my wet garbage on the (small) back porch, using an ex-milk container for collection, inside. ie No inside can to make a Chemical-perimeter around.
(Sorta-rural area, but now trying to be genteelized; that also being Resisted, fortunately. I'm just outside of 'The Village' No, not THAT The Village.

I made a deal, from the first:
> ANTS! you may merrily make trails to the container at bottom step of the porch. Period.<

Needed to plagiarize a bit of Harry Potter's snaketalk, you see. (Is it less cruel to squash a spider - trying to eat your flies, even - than to kick a friendly dog?)

In first couple of years, ~ this time would see scouts around sink, or elsewhere if I'd sloppily left anything edible on floor, even - an occasional trail. (I may not blame the ants for my enticements, whether through sloppiness or inadvertence).

The scouts were methodically munged. When there were several, and an entrace port showed a potential/growing? trail: I would array the dead-parrots near that entrance - with a ring of bicarb + talc, circumscribing general area.
> Tell Your Leader about the Casualties! <

(Later on.. plugging any small hole it was easy to plug, natch).
But you can't disembowel kitchen cabinets; there's a basement here, too etc.

IIRC - by second year; fershure by third:
there were usually quite-a-few daily at the official lunch counter. And rarely, a scout or two inside - always are there Privates who don't understand the General's strategy, and are working on their MBA to next work for that Annihilation Contractor. Of course, too - on garbage day, chances were high that a %significant working-part of the colony might end up in the landfill, after pickup. But I've not made it a Point to willy-nilly try to bag as many as possible - what for? YAN IQ contest?

Anyway.. far too far a return trek, for a stirring Lassie Come Home maudlin sequel, to be filmed with appropriate amateur shakiness and starring a suitable airhead as the bikini-clad Victim of The ANTZ-IV and Woody Allen as a stubborn scout..

Point: ever since = so long I can't recall any recent active duel - No Ants in the house. I think.. just possibly, the [tote garbage + ants] effect may even have depleted, deleted? one or another competing clan HQ, as - even in season, the feeding area has never been but a fraction of the initial walk-in business.

Besides..
The 'ant' you Save - just may have been an Indra in a parallel universe, since.. Vanity.. Vanity.. All IS Vanity....
New There's plenty for ants to eat outdoors . .
. . which means the Argentines will expand their population until there is nothing to eat. Unlike other ants which are kept in check by inter-hive warfare, the Argentines all came off a single ship, so they think they're all the same hive - there is no limit to their expansion. Anyone who wants to play nice with Argentines will not do so for long.

When the weather gets hot in Southern California, the Argentines no longer want to forage outdoors, they want to come into the house where it's cooler, and will do so by the tens of thousands if you let them.

Once an invasion is in, you need to kill all those inside or they will develop new paths back to the hive and bring another wave. Once they are wiped out you can block the access they were using with just a tiny squirt of poison - they're not so good at finding new routes from the outside.

Argentines are alien invaders and need to be treated as such. The native black ants and red ants, relatively moderate critters, have all been wiped out by the Argentines.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Ah. Well then, thanks for the heads-up - next.
I've long deemed it inevitable that 'Something would break-out' of our millions of linear-think Mondo-chemical encirclements. Seems inescapable, given the populations' general bio-insouciance re all critters including homo-sap (and not to mention the menageries from paramecia upwards).

Couldn't guess even which Kingdom would be The One, let alone phylum or class -- since homo-sap, all by itself, is each other's almost-Worst enemy -- merely via embracing the standard sophomoric Power-game scheme; loved by the superstitious masses - beloved of legions of their unimaginative handlers.

Since killer-bees don't seem to have gotten much attention as they progress, looks like Yellow Submarine nailed it, yet again -

When the panicked Chief Blue Meanie was casting about for an escape plan from the onrushing Music-nuclear Forces of Sgt. Pepper.. his Blue-sidekick responded,

Argentina?

Iran Freedom Invasion -or- the Ants. Which?
And.. will the amateur film-strip of our passing make even a decent B-movie on Tralfamador?
     First ant invasion of the summer. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
         Argentine Ants on the March - (dws)
         Wow -- deja vu - (Nightowl) - (1)
             Siphotrol - (cforde)
         Well, that's the umm Military solution.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             There's plenty for ants to eat outdoors . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Ah. Well then, thanks for the heads-up - next. - (Ashton)

Owner/Operator rig.
46 ms