IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, poor Threepio!
Ah well, if they put everything into the movie that would have been great to see, it would have been 4 hours long! ;)

On another note Ben, did you enjoy it?

Brenda

Don't mind me, I'm playing in VI!
New I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi
Not as good as The Empire Strikes Back. Much better than the two pieces of crap masquerading as Star Wars movies before it.

My short summary is that George Lucas' abilities remain what they were (great at action, dialog sucks, cute characters suck) but he was able to make this movie play to his strengths rather than his weaknesses.

In the movie it is obvious that Anakin's fall is massively compressed. Some of that is the format, there simply isn't the space in a movie to show major emotional progressions like that (particularly not when you're trying to keep the pace up). There are hints about how much time is involved - for instance Padme's growing belly is an indicator of how many months passed between glimpses - but that observation strikes you on an intellectual, not emotional, level. It feels like, "OMG, that pregnancy went fast!" rather than "Gee, lots of time just passed". I'd have added more such cues, for instance references to how many months Anakin has been on the Jedi Council.

Oh, one other note. Someone should have made Natalie Portman spend some time in a maternity ward. She's supposed to be dying in childbirth, not relaxing after the easiest childbirth on record!

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Re: I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi
In the movie it is obvious that Anakin's fall is massively compressed. Some of that is the format, there simply isn't the space in a movie to show major emotional progressions like that (particularly not when you're trying to keep the pace up). There are hints about how much time is involved - for instance Padme's growing belly is an indicator of how many months passed between glimpses - but that observation strikes you on an intellectual, not emotional, level. It feels like, "OMG, that pregnancy went fast!" rather than "Gee, lots of time just passed". I'd have added more such cues, for instance references to how many months Anakin has been on the Jedi Council.

I agree, time progression isn't shown very well. The book helps develop his emotional progression a lot better, which was why I compared it to the movie in my review in spots. :)

Brenda

Don't mind me, I'm playing in VI!
     Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith - (Nightowl) - (51)
         Shorter version: Sith happens -NT - (rcareaga)
         clarification for owl - (rcareaga) - (5)
             I'm afraid you're quite mistaken - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Aw shucks - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     surprised - (rcareaga)
             hhmmmmm - (cforde) - (1)
                 the force is with you, my son - (rcareaga)
         10 "awesome"s and 57 "I"s. 3091 words. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Tell me you counted these statistics by hand.... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Naw, used Pages. - (pwhysall)
             As I explained - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Then why post it here? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Simply - (Nightowl)
         Suck Wars: Revenge of the Suck. - (inthane-chan) - (24)
             Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher could pull off lame dialog.. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 "The Science of Star Wars" is showing on some cable station - (Silverlock)
             How's it compare to Episode 1? - (warmachine) - (4)
                 Worlds better. - (inthane-chan)
                 Re: How's it compare to Episode 1? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     I know I'll be disappointed (spoiler) - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         You'll enjoy... - (SpiceWare)
             star wars one line review - (boxley) - (16)
                 Prediction - (drewk) - (12)
                     You mean: Charley and the Chocolate Factory? - (folkert)
                     That's a movie I'm looking forward to seeing - (bionerd) - (10)
                         Same thing we thought - (drewk) - (3)
                             The preview didn't answer any questions - (bepatient)
                             A few years ago I drove out to NJ - (bionerd) - (1)
                                 July 15 - (drewk)
                         Not Willy!!! Charley! -NT - (folkert)
                         Johnny's gonna be Charley? -NT - (bionerd) - (4)
                             It is the continuation of the Story... from what I am told. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Ooh, good call ... a simple remake would have been tricky -NT - (drewk)
                                 We should've looked it up in the first place - (bionerd) - (1)
                                     I see. So it is actually closer to the book than before. -NT - (folkert)
                 I thought some of the fights were decent - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     the only love interest I saw was the gay club - (boxley)
                 when it comes to reviews - (lincoln)
         Another angle on the series - - (Ashton)
         I wish that line had been there as well - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Yeah, poor Threepio! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Re: I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi - (Nightowl)
         Finally saw it - (lister) - (6)
             Me too - (broomberg)
             Too late - (drewk) - (4)
                 Yes, yes - (lister) - (2)
                     You probably won't be able to. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Re: You probably won't be able to. - (Nightowl)
                 Saw ROTJ Sunday night - (SpiceWare)
         Hunter's guide to the StarWars III easter eggs (new thread) - (tuberculosis)

Given enough shellac, even turds can be polished.
61 ms