IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
I finally got to see the movie last night, but was unable to post when I got home because a thunderstorm was brewing on the horizon and I don't turn on my computer for long when it does that. I managed one post in my own group and it was short. :)

My first initial reaction was --- WOW. That was all I could say, throughout the movie and after it ended. It left me breathless, shaking and tearful. Powerful, it was.

I do want to add here that the violence depicted was not as graphic as expected. There was little blood, and many of the various killings were so quick and not detailed that you could miss them if you blinked. Some others were implied, but there are still scenes that could be disturbing for young children under 10 or so, but until the last the scenes are mostly quick and not bad. The last part however... well, I don't know that I'd take a child to see that part. Maybe you could cover their eyes. ;)

Now I'll try and take it apart piece by piece and give my opinion as well as ask questions: Warning, this is long... AND SPOILERS BELOW:

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

The opening sequence was awesome, but I didn't see Anakin fly his ship upside down like in the book above Obi-Wan's. Did he do that or not? I could have missed it as well, because everything went so fast. I also wished for more of the banter in the novel but I realize it was really not the place for it. The novel though, really entertains during this scene. The buzzdroids and Artoo were great. I loved the way Artoo zapped them.

I was also wishing for more of Obi-Wan's comments to Anakin about how Artoo is almost human, but this is explained beautifully in the novel, and implied some by the way Obi-Wan throws Artoo the comlink and treats him like a "person" not a droid.

The elevator scenes were awesome. I loved it! "Artoo, start up the elevator... Artoo, wrong way, we want to go up, not down, Artoo!" That was great!!!!! And talking to Artoo when he was trying to hide and flipping out the battle droids was too funny!

I noticed that they don't show you in the movie that Dooku truly DOES know Palpatine is Sidious, but that's all fleshed out wonderfully in the novel. Also they set up in the novel very well how Palpatine/Sidious and Dooku lay the trap for Anakin and Obi-Wan, and how Dooku believes he'll be spared and locked up, but Palpatine betrays him and orders Anakin to kill him. In the book, Dooku reveals he knows by saying to Palpatine, "Chancellor, please! You promised me immunity! We had a deal! Help me!" And Palpatine replies cooly, "A deal only if you released me... not if you used me as bait to kill my friends." So Dooku is lost, and Palpatine has even managed to cover the fact that he and Dooku were in league all along... and Anakin listens and kills him.

There is less of the "leave him", "Drop him", "let go of him" instances where Palpatine urges Anakin to leave Obi-Wan, or drop him in the shaft, or let go of him to expedite their escape that were in the novel, but the implication that Palpatine wants nothing more than to separate Anakin from Obi-Wan or kill Obi-Wan does come across nicely. Reading the novel will heighten that for you. And it makes you understand why Obi-Wan is sent to Utapau alone, it's to separate them. Palpatine manipulates that brilliantly by suggesting something they will never accept, Anakin to lead it, so they ultimately do what Palpatine/Sidious wants, and do just that, refuse to send Anakin and choose Obi-Wan.

The fight on the bridge with Grievous is awesome, Artoo is awesome also as he fights the battle droids both there and elsewhere. Igniting them was a great trick! And Anakin's landing of the almost-doomed ship is truly spectacular... especially when they have it come RIGHT AT YOU on the screen. I think that was the first time my heart really began to pound.

Interestingly enough, Lucas cut out every single scene where Padme is in league with the other council members to try and convince Palpatine to give up some of his powers and such. They even cut out the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin that Padme is none other than the leader of the disgruntled senators. This is major in some ways, because it shows you that he also starts to wonder if he can trust Padme, long before the incident on Mustafar. But it's fleshed out nicely in the novel. And Padme repeatedly says she's sorry to Anakin out loud to herself in the novel, because she KNOWS she is going against his friend and mentor, the chancellor. So even SHE knows she is going against Anakin, in a way. Maybe these will be deleted scenes, but knowing they are in the novel is enough for me.

The council appointment for Anakin and his resulting reaction were right on, they matched the book and were powerful scenes. As was the scene where Obi-Wan has to tell him to spy on Palpatine. It's clear that Obi-Wan is aware things are beginning to go badly, and Anakin is feeling the pressure. They cut out the scene were he visits Padme privately about Anakin but that's in the novel, and they do imply it beautifully on screen, when Anakin asks her if he was there... but they show none of the extreme suspicion that the book sets up, as to why.

The opera house scene was done beautifully. Palpatine was brilliant in that scene, and he fed Anakin just enough information to confuse him completely and give him a new hope (no pun intended), for saving Padme. One has to wonder though, if this Darth Plagueis ever really DID have the power to preserve life, or if Palpatine\\Sidious made it all up knowing it was what Anakin needed and wanted to hear. (more on this later).

Utapau was awesome, all of it. The structure of the sinkhole city was just beautifully done, and I finally understood why Boga the lizard was able to climb up and down so many levels, based on how it all looked. It was a lot less steep and smooth as I had imagined in the novel. Boga herself was awesome and may become my second favorite critter in the saga, if not the first. :) And I loved the fact that she wasn't shown dying in the movie, even though in the novel it is clear that she does, and in fact gives her life to save Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan losing his lightsaber was priceless and Commander Cody finding it was even better, but they left out the line of dialogue that made me chuckle in the book... After Sidious contacts Commander Cody and executes order 66, Cody groans, "Would it have been too much to ask for the order to have come through BEFORE I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?" That was priceless in the novel, but I see it wouldn't have been as appropriate in the movie.

Anakin learning from Palpatine that he was indeed Sidious, (although not as directly as in the novel) was also a powerful scene. I thought it was indicative of how Anakin was torn when he ignited his lightsaber and even admitted he WANTED to kill Palpatine right then. It shows he knew the "right" thing to do, but yet he was torn by his need to learn what Palpatine knew. They left out of the movie his desire to search the Jedi Archives about this "dark-side power to sustain life" but was denied because he wasn't a Master. This illustrated more directly why being denied mastership upon being appointed to the council was so important to him. Had he been made a Master, he might have sought that information and learned possibly that it was a lie, (provided it was). That is really explained well in the novel.

Then when Anakin turns him in to Mace, it is also omitted that he begs Mace not to kill Palpatine/Sidious, not to hurt him, only arrest him. The anguish he feels and the torment he is facing is beautifully laid out in those few paragraphs in the novel. You see the conflict and emotion Skywalker is in more than ever right there, and it helps you to understand his choice when faced with Mace about to kill Palpatine.

One thing I wished they had done, but of course I understand why they didn't, was the way Palpatine/Sidious retrieved his lightsaber and produced it in the novel. It had been hidden for many years inside of a huge statue in his office area, and he activates it with his mind (after Skywalker leaves to turn him in), and has it burn itself an exit hole in the statue. Then he simply pulls it to himself with the force and hides it in his sleeve, and waits. Awesome, that would have been cool to see.

I also didn't notice if Palpatine actually threw his blade to kill the other three Jedi in the Chancellor's Office, or if he used it. It all happened way too fast for me to notice clearly. In the novel he seems to have thrown it, but it is written so vaguely it's hard to tell. Did anyone see that better?

And Anakin ignites his lightsaber in the novel before he even enters the Chancellor's Office, not at the last minute as he does in the movie. But the final battle with Mace and Sidious was awesome, it was done much better than I expected. Mace goes into Vaapad in the novel, and I couldn't tell if he did that in the movie, but probably. But I didn't remember Mace asking Anakin to help him in the movie either. I only remember Mace saying not to listen to Palpatine/Sidious. And I still think Palpatine was faking a lot of his helplessness, when Mace appeared to be winning, but I do think Mace was winning, and had Anakin not intervened, Sidious might have been destroyed then.

The exchange between Mace and Anakin during this time is left out of the movie, but it helps highlight Anakin's decision in the novel. Anakin asks Mace if he is going to kill all the senators as well (a lie that Palpatine had told him), and Mace asks Anakin if he could have taken Dooku alive, would he have? Anakin claims that was different, and he needs Sidious alive to save Padme. Mace wonders about that for a moment, then as he is about to kill Sidious, that is when Anakin acts and cuts off his arm. In my opinion it is a much more powerful and believable scene in the novel, but I understand there wasn't a lot of time for talking and it wouldn't have seemed in place during the fight like it did in the novel.

Anakin pledging himself to Sidious was really emotional, and almost seemed like he now knew he had no choice, and could not turn back. His "What have I done???" was cried with just enough anguish and pain to make it so clear he was trapped by the actions he had just taken. His hesitation to pledge himself to the Sith though, is outlined much better in the novel than in the movie. Instead of saying he will do whatever Sidious asks, he says "yes, I want your knowledge, I want your power. I want the power to stop death."

What I wish though, was when Sidious told him only his Master had ever achieved that, but together they might find a way, that Anakin would realize Sidious did NOT know that power for certain, and would have lashed out, "you lied, you told me you knew... you told me you learned everything from him!" and turned on Sidious, realizing he'd been set up. But alas, Anakin does not. He never even registers that it wasn't an absolute, not even in the novel. Not until he is in the suit does he realize that it was all a setup.

The naming scene was powerful, but not as wordy as in the book, and the temple scene was just as powerful. I'm glad they didn't show him killing the child directly, only in the holograms later. And I didn't see any tears in his eyes when he looked at the child in the temple, so if anyone saw those, I missed them. Did anyone else see him crying in the temple before killing the younglings?

Order 66 was chilling even though I expected it. To see the Jedi's slaughtered like that was emotional, but I still hadn't cried yet, I'll tell you when I cried. ;) Obi-Wan's escape and Yoda's escape were great though. I could tell Yoda must have felt the order being executed elsewhere and was ready to defend himself when it started on Kashyyyk. Bail's brilliant move of going to the temple and discovering what was happening was well done, and the Jedi Youngling (I assume he was one, right?), who was fighting the clones was dramatic. Wonder how he survived the massacre in the temple? (In the novel he was about ten years old). But in the novel, the clones try to shoot Bail, because he witnesses the child's death, and they say, "No witnesses, kill him." and Bail runs.

Yoda's realization of how wrong the Jedi have been is much more fleshed out in the novel, and the discussion about Qui-Gon is also more detailed. Qui-Gon talks to Yoda in the novel, and you get a better understanding of why Yoda lost against Sidious. It was because the Sith had changed to adapt to new ways and the Jedi had not. Yoda then realizes that the Jedi have to learn new ways.

Obi-Wan's emotion when he first learns of the Jedi Trap that has been set, and think Anakin was executed along WITH the others, is powerful in the novel. This make his discovery that Anakin was the one who was RESPONSIBLE for the slaughters in the temple even more powerful. It's less evident in the movie, but the shock he feels is well portrayed. However his anguish is more clear in the book, when he wishes he had died before ever even bringing Anakin to the council as a child.

Anakin's fleeting visit with Padme and arrival on Mustafar are well done, and the slaughter of the Neimoidians is powerful as well. I missed the line in the novel where Vader enters and one of them gasps, "You're Anakin Skywalker!" and Vader replies, "The resemblance is deceptive." and again where Shu Mai begs for her life and tells Vader that they were promised a handsome reward, and Vader says, "I am your reward, you don't find me handsome?" before he kills her. But again, I understand the humor wasn't appropriate in those scenes when actually seeing them. But it's wonderful in the novel.

And what can I say of the final scenes but WOW! It was so wonderfully done. From the moment Padme lands and asks Anakin if it's true, to her realization that Anakin DID do all those things, to Obi-Wan's sudden appearance on her ship... (although I still have to wonder why Obi-Wan didn't yell to Anakin that he stowed away and Padme had no idea... probably because he figured Anakin wouldn't believe him), to her crashing to the ground, they were powerful scenes. When they were pacing around and talking at the first, (it reminded me of the earlier scene when Anakin and the Chancellor were also circling one another and talking), up to the moment where they knew they would fight... just powerful.

And the fight itself? Breathtaking, exciting, exhilarating... my heart pounded the entire time and I shook like a leaf. They were both so intense, so good, and so determined. The force pushes were awesome, and the way they kicked and threw one another around, WOW! Then when they broke the force field that held the lava lake back, it was beyond unbelievable... because they now had a common enemy, the lava lake. I had read the book, but was still completely unprepared for how dramatic the station crashing into the lava lake was. Wow...

And towards the end, when they are on the floating debris, and Obi-Wan gains the high ground, it was better than in the novel, because he tells Anakin NOT to try it. In the novel, Anakin just leaps. Obi-Wan knows what he is going to do, in the novel it explains frequently about their styles. Will Anakin win with his sheer raw power or will Obi-Wan win with his cleverness and trickiness... and Obi-Wan wins... because he doesn't plan ever to meet Anakin's blade... when Anakin jumps. He always planned to meet Anakin's knees, and he does... and in the same motion, he swings back in an arc and takes off the lightsaber arm. Breathtaking... spectacular, and well done. You can barely even tell what he does, till it's done. And no, I still didn't cry here. And in the novel, Anakin even realizes he was suckered... and lost.

I am so glad though, that Anakin does not ask Obi-Wan to help him, and Obi-Wan refuses. This was a spoiler that was around, and might even have been a deleted scene, for all I know, but it just wasn't workable. Because if Anakin had asked Obi-Wan to help him then, and Obi-Wan didn't, I wouldn't have handled that well. So Anakin's last words of "I hate you!" were far better. And in the novel, Obi-Wan considers finishing Anakin off, because it would be merciful, but he senses Palpatine coming, and he isn't really feeling merciful... and doesn't have time to waste, so he leaves his former Padawan to blaze.

This is when I cried. When Anakin burst into flame, that was when I cried. And somehow, I didn't expect him to scream. Stupid, I know, but in the book, he doesn't scream, or they don't imply it. But of course he would scream, why wouldn't he? Anyway, that was when I cried...

Anakin's clawing himself up the bank, burnt to a crisp was also powerful, and the makeup was awesome. I had seen the pictures in my various books so I knew what to expect, but man, that was what earned the PG-13 rating for sure, the burning alive and aftermath. And the operating table was more powerful than I dreamed. I thought they would have anesthetized him... but he was awake... and in pain... and screaming.... wow.....

And you saw the mask go on, saw his eyes, saw his face... heard that first "breath" truly powerful stuff. And even though Palpatine doesn't really say RISE at the end, it wasn't all that missed, just noted it wasn't there. Besides, I always wondered how the heck he would rise while shackled to the table?

And I thought his reaction to Padme's death was right on. Nothing missing there... but the insight in the novel in his mind is far better. Read the novel, you will know and understand all.

Padme's funeral was well done, and silent, as was the babies being placed in their respective homes. Threepio's having the last word was priceless, as he opened the saga years ago with the first ones, but I also missed the comment "I can't wait to tell her all about her parents" (where he is talking to Artoo about Baby Leia), and then the comment, "Have the protocol Droid's mind wiped." Oh Dear indeed.

The Death Star didn't surprise me, as I figured Palpatine might have been trying to build it for some time, with a secret group of people. Also bear in mind that we don't know the passage of time. Padme wouldn't have been buried the day she died, and Vader wouldn't likely have been on a Star Destroyer the day he was transformed either. And I agree, the structure isn't much to put up. It's all the complicated stuff that takes the time.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I can't urge people enough to go READ THE NOVEL. It really fills a number of the gaps for you.

Powerful movie.

Brenda

Don't mind me, I'm playing in VI!
Expand Edited by Nightowl May 20, 2005, 04:21:46 PM EDT
New Shorter version: Sith happens
New clarification for owl
Sweetheart—you appear innocently under the impression that the film spectacle just now soaked through your wondering retinae is akin to an ordinary cinematic adaptation from an existing literary source, and deplore the sundry cuts and compromises attendant upon the imperative of squeezing the original saga with all its richness into just 140 minutes. Alas, dear, we're not talking Brideshead Revisited* or even Lord of the Rings here: there was no literary "original," for all that a booklike object was made available for gentle pop culture consumers like yourself in advance of the cinematic release. The booklike object (which you are pleased to call a "novel") was in fact derived from the shooting script, and the author, 43 year-old "Matthew Woodring Stover" (whose bibliography and biography both fairly shout "Hack!" "Hack!"), was permitted, doubtless with adult supervision, to flesh out the story you raptly absorbed from the screen. You really should understand, though, that your experience at the St. Louis McMultiplex was the real deal, and that the paperback you greedily absorbed upon its release last month was merely a riff upon a theme.

yours in hope that a life awaits you after SWE3,

*Brideshead Revisited is a novel by Evelyn Waugh (a boy), originally published in 1945, that takes up 351 pages in the trade paperback edition. It was adapted for television a quarter of a century ago, and in a full eleven hours was rendered to the screen as faithfully as it is possible for a novel to be so transformed. You, Brenda, would find it unendurable: if pinned beneath a heavy bookshelf with Brideshead Revisited playing on a monitor in your line of sight you would chew your leg off and crawl to the multiplex to see "Revenge of the Sith" one last time before you expired from loss of blood.

[edit: repetitiontion]
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga May 21, 2005, 03:00:57 AM EDT
New I'm afraid you're quite mistaken
About my feelings regarding Brideshead Revisited, that is.

Sweetheart—you appear innocently under the impression that that the film spectacle just now soaked through your wondering retinae is akin to an ordinary cinematic adaptation from an existing literary source, and deplore the sundry cuts and compromises attendant upon the imperative of squeezing the original saga with all its richness into just 140 minutes. Alas, dear, we're not talking Brideshead Revisited* or even Lord of the Rings here: there was no literary "original," for all that a booklike object was made available for gentle pop culture consumers like yourself in advance of the cinematic release. The booklike object (which you are pleased to call a "novel") was in fact derived from the shooting script, and the author, 43 year-old "Matthew Woodring Stover" (whose bibliography and biography both fairly shout "Hack!" "Hack!"), was permitted, doubtless with adult supervision, to flesh out the story you raptly absorbed from the screen. You really should understand, though, that your experience at the St. Louis McMultiplex was the real deal, and that the paperback you greedily absorbed upon its release last month was merely a riff upon a theme.

Ah, well first of all, I started off writing the word book (instead of novel), but since I was planning to post this in all my Star Wars groups as well, and they call it "the novel" I decided to go with novel instead. I did goof a few times I think though, and refer to it as a book.

I know what a literary work is, I even own Brideshead Revisited, and it was stupendous. It was also a marvelous PBS series that I hope to someday own. Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews were just brilliant in it and the only thing I'd seen Anthony do better in on television was Danger UXB, also a wonderful series. I own that novel as well. :)

So I wasn't referring to Star Wars ROTS the novel as a "literary" work, but as the fleshed out, more detailed version of the movie in book form. And Lucas approved the book so it's right on with the movie as in what's missing, and even has many of the deleted scenes in it.

yours in hope that a life awaits you after SWE3,

Of course it does. I didn't even have any sort of empty feeling because this is the "last" movie, supposedly. I just enjoyed the film. :)

*Brideshead Revisited is a novel by Evelyn Waugh (a boy), originally published in 1945, that takes up 351 pages in the trade paperback edition. It was adapted for television a quarter of a century ago, and in a full eleven hours was rendered to the screen as faithfully as it is possible for a novel to be so transformed. You, Brenda, would find it unendurable: if pinned beneath a heavy bookshelf with Brideshead Revisited playing on a monitor in your line of sight you would chew your leg off and crawl to the multiplex to see "Revenge of the Sith" one last time before you expired from loss of blood.

I would not find it unendurable, I loved it! I would have purchased it by now, but it costs a lot! And when I was watching it, I didn't yet own a VCR. But someday I may own it. :) So I would most certainly NOT chew my leg off to escape, I would lie there and enjoy it. :)

You sir, would be surprised to discover what I like and don't like. ;) For example, I can't stand Lord Of The Rings.

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl May 20, 2005, 09:41:05 PM EDT
New Aw shucks
And here I was thinking Rcareaga would at least be surprised, if not impressed by the fact that I do know what Brideshead Revisited is and love it. ;)

Brenda

New surprised
Surprised enough to reconsider my formerly high opinion of Waugh's novel.

Geez! Just kidding.

cordially,
New hhmmmmm
you might find [link|http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema|this review] a little more your speed....
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New the force is with you, my son
—and I would have seen an LRPD in the review were it not for the informal prohibition of salty language: "Break me a fucking give." Not like the New Yorker of old...

cordially,
New 10 "awesome"s and 57 "I"s. 3091 words.
28 ellipses, too. 14 "powerful"s. Variety is the spice of life.

While it's clear you enjoyed the film—and fair play to you; I think it'll be a load of toss and a waste of 2.5 hours, but hey—this comment warranted some editorial lovin', due to its hyargitude.

3000 words of breathless adoration is far too long for anyone to care but you, Brenda; if you want other people to read this sort of thing and maintain interest, consider cutting it in half.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Tell me you counted these statistics by hand....
...no grep/sed/awk tools allowed (and vi and emacs are verboten).
New Naw, used Pages.
Which is really nice, it seems. (I got a 30 day demo in the Tiger box)

Peter
New As I explained
This review was not written for IWT, it was written for my Star Wars groups, and believe me, they didn't care how long it was, they read and loved it and replied to it.

Sorry, but I didn't feel like re-editing it just for you guys. I figured if anyone wanted to know about it enough, they'd read it, no matter how long it is. After all, that's what I do with many posts here. :)

Brenda

New Then why post it here?

Peter
New Simply
Because I thought someone might be interested, after all, it is the reviews forum.

Brenda

New Suck Wars: Revenge of the Suck.
Saw it on Sunday. Grapically pleasing, but Lucas forgot that you need a story to go along with the film. Sad to see otherwise good actors not being able to work their way out of a wet paper bag - they should have brought Quentin Tarantino in for a script rewrite and guest directing AT LEAST Anakin's scenes. This is not the creation of a great tyrant, but the fall of the whiniest brat yet. That, and I just can't bring myself to care about that soulless bunch of pathetic losers known as the Jedi council.

Eye candy YAAAY! Dialog BOOO!

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

New Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher could pull off lame dialog..
...and you knew no they weren't taking matters too seriously. Alec Guiness's voice could make even the worst script sound regal with that voice of his, and he knew it was best to die early on.
New "The Science of Star Wars" is showing on some cable station
I wonder if they pull a dubya looking for WMDs?

Nope, not under here. Nope, not over here.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New How's it compare to Episode 1?
After the idiotic characterization in Episode 1, I decided to give 2 a miss. I don't care about visual effects. I was hoping Episode 3 would be an improvement. How does 3 compare to 1? Characters clueless or cunning? Equipment and tactics high tech fighting force or something out of the Iron Age? Does Jar Jar Binks get eviscerated?
Matthew Greet

But we must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village, army after army. And they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie and we must be merciful to those who lie.
- Colonol Kurtz, Apocalypse Now.
New Worlds better.
That doesn't mean it is actually any good. It feels like some incredible epic sets with no real actors in front of them. My jaw dropped for about 10 seconds at the beginning, then stayed shut for the rest of it.

You can probably have a good time if you turn off your brain for most of it; I was not able to.

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

New Re: How's it compare to Episode 1?
I think it is a lot better than The Phantom Menace. It didn't beat Attack Of The Clones for me though, that's still my favorite movie.

But it is a huge improvement over TPM, and it's also better in some ways than AOTC. I just still like AOTC better. I think you won't be disappointed.

Brenda

New I know I'll be disappointed (spoiler)
Because Jar-Jar doesn't die a painful agonizing death.
New You'll enjoy...
[link|http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html|A Lost Hope]
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New star wars one line review
wide visual futuristic views Yay!! Dialogue, plot, closups,acting, fighting sucked, spaceballs was better.
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Prediction
I expect the visuals (and the acting, story, etc etc etc) will be much better in Willie Wonka, opening on my birthday ... IN FREAKING IMAX! WOO WOO!
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New You mean: Charley and the Chocolate Factory?
Remember Charley was the kind the won.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
[image|http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg||||]
New That's a movie I'm looking forward to seeing
We also have plans to see it at the IMAX. It was genious to cast Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I think it's going to be a winner.
New Same thing we thought
The original is my wife's favorite movie, and one of my favorites. When we heard they were remaiking we both thought they'd ruin it. Then we heard Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and thought, well maybe this won't suck.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
New The preview didn't answer any questions
I still don't know whether it is gonna suck or if those 2 can pull this one off.

It is also one of my favorites..top 5 all time.

Gene Wilder was BRILLIANT. He struck the perfect balance between eccentric and psycho.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New A few years ago I drove out to NJ
with the kids and they watched Willy Wonka the entire time- there and back. It never grows old! Gene Wilder was good in a creepy/psychotic way. I think Johnny Depp will bring some style and flamboyance to the role, a la Captain Jack Swann. What day is it opening?
New July 15
Gotta check how far in advance the local IMAX will sell tickets.
===

New Not Willy!!! Charley!
--
New Johnny's gonna be Charley?
New It is the continuation of the Story... from what I am told.
--
New Ooh, good call ... a simple remake would have been tricky
===

New We should've looked it up in the first place
It is a remake-
[link|http://chocolatefactorymovie.warnerbros.com/about.html|http://chocolatefact...os.com/about.html]

Acclaimed director Tim Burton brings his vividly imaginative style to the beloved Roald Dahl classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, about eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) and Charlie (Freddie Highmore), a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw golden tickets from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world in this astonishing and enduring story.

----
Still looking forward to it, though.
New I see. So it is actually closer to the book than before.
--
New I thought some of the fights were decent
at least they did a little work on the blade work. Episode IV was lame in that neither vader nor kenobi actors had the slightest clue what to do with a blade and it showed.

Yoda for the oscar.

Agree about the dialog - beyond sucky. Love interest bit fell flat.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New the only love interest I saw was the gay club
Jedi knights looked like they would rather rub against each other before touching a female. They really made them campy.
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New when it comes to reviews
I'll take depth and breadth over a one-liner anyday.

But I definitely agree with you on "Spaceballs". In fact, I proposed an LRPD from that movie, but Admin refused to accept it.

lincoln
"Until the revolution, we are only useful for our private information and our money."
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Another angle on the series -
Well, Owl - seems that the local critics have long since given up on any close perusal of the 'characters'. I walked out on (well, we killed the DVD) one of the recent potboilers, because of the woodenness of the acting.. and fantasy air motorcycle chases get old. Fast. If you can't Care about a character ('s fate, say) - then it's Wooden. (Or if he's portrayed ~ a modrin-day MBA-Repo, say - nobody cares about the sanctimonious ones, whatever the premise.)

Oddly though, a few nights back a local Tee Vee station was rendering.. {Something with} 'Clones'. I forced myself to sorta stay with it, while doing 2 other things rather than 3,4. The schizoid, 'disturbed' Anakin? wasn't a winner for me -- but I had to remind myself that these are basically films for Kids, who will be less cynical about the complexities of human motives and their daily lies, lies, and er, dissembling. And then the coverups/excuses/ about all the heaped dead bodies their Ambition created. Pretty heavy stuff for the tykes to grok.

So here's a take on the '05 relevance -?- of this Sith thing, as best Lucas could weave his message through the bang-bang stuff. The title of article kinda sets the [link|http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/08/ING30CK6O81.DTL| theme]
Star Wars film against American grain
'Revenge of Sith' mirrors themes of post 9/11 world

William S. Kowinski

Sunday, May 8, 2005

In the hubbub surrounding "Revenge of the Sith," the latest and last Star Wars film, George Lucas has made no secret of saying the theme of this film and the prequel trilogy it completes is "how a democratic society turns into a dictatorship, and how a good person turns into a bad person."

A pop culture phenomenon like "Star Wars" has an inevitable relationship to other cultural currents of its time. This is especially true of Lucas' films, since the story within their space opera is political: the rise and fall of an empire.

The first "Star Wars" burst onto screens in 1977 when science fiction films were rare and dour. After Vietnam and Watergate and with the Cold War superpowers still facing off, the future seemed doubtful. The anti-hero ruled the screen.

Lucas came up with a simple, revolutionary concept: injecting heroic mythological themes into a fantasy world -- Joseph Campbell directs Flash Gordon.

"Star Wars" edged the old innocent virtues with contemporary knowingness in recognizable new heroes: Hans Solo, the swaggering mercenary with hidden heart, and Princess Leia, the damsel in distress who runs the war room and shoots the bad guys. Soulless technology became personable in the robots, C- 3PO and R2D2. But the true hero was Luke Skywalker, all impulse and openness.

Lucas captivated audiences on another level with an astonishing premise: The Force, which emanated from all life and was accessible to all, although present more strongly in some. The Force had a good side, accessed by the Jedi knights, like Obi Wan Kenobe, serving the rebel alliance.

[More . . .]
Nice William Carlos Williams tie-in to that headline.
So then.. Who Knows? if the parallels to our current crop of Troglodytes-in-Power-lust will dawn upon the rapt watchers of 3-D hockey games in the sky? Will they .. for a couple hours .. forget! the logos on their $150 sneakers and baggy pants? Will they be prompted even to think of an idea of 'comparing' ??

(Haven'the foggiest What goes on in the techno scheduled-out, classroom-doped tykes on the fast track to Two corner offices (if.. mommy & daddy have their way + Still have access to the $hundred+ grand to send them East for that MBA..)

Bon appetit
New I wish that line had been there as well
I avoided reading this thread until I saw the movie.

After I read it, I agree that it would have been priceless to see C3PO say that he couldn't wait to tell Leia about her parents.

Another more subtle irony. Note that C3PO is just getting used to flying in the third movie..then his mind gets wiped and he is a wimp again in the fourth. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly May 27, 2005, 03:38:01 PM EDT
New Yeah, poor Threepio!
Ah well, if they put everything into the movie that would have been great to see, it would have been 4 hours long! ;)

On another note Ben, did you enjoy it?

Brenda

New I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi
Not as good as The Empire Strikes Back. Much better than the two pieces of crap masquerading as Star Wars movies before it.

My short summary is that George Lucas' abilities remain what they were (great at action, dialog sucks, cute characters suck) but he was able to make this movie play to his strengths rather than his weaknesses.

In the movie it is obvious that Anakin's fall is massively compressed. Some of that is the format, there simply isn't the space in a movie to show major emotional progressions like that (particularly not when you're trying to keep the pace up). There are hints about how much time is involved - for instance Padme's growing belly is an indicator of how many months passed between glimpses - but that observation strikes you on an intellectual, not emotional, level. It feels like, "OMG, that pregnancy went fast!" rather than "Gee, lots of time just passed". I'd have added more such cues, for instance references to how many months Anakin has been on the Jedi Council.

Oh, one other note. Someone should have made Natalie Portman spend some time in a maternity ward. She's supposed to be dying in childbirth, not relaxing after the easiest childbirth on record!

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Re: I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi
In the movie it is obvious that Anakin's fall is massively compressed. Some of that is the format, there simply isn't the space in a movie to show major emotional progressions like that (particularly not when you're trying to keep the pace up). There are hints about how much time is involved - for instance Padme's growing belly is an indicator of how many months passed between glimpses - but that observation strikes you on an intellectual, not emotional, level. It feels like, "OMG, that pregnancy went fast!" rather than "Gee, lots of time just passed". I'd have added more such cues, for instance references to how many months Anakin has been on the Jedi Council.

I agree, time progression isn't shown very well. The book helps develop his emotional progression a lot better, which was why I compared it to the movie in my review in spots. :)

Brenda

New Finally saw it
I saw it at a DLP theatre. Flawless picture. I wish more movies looked like that without all the grain, crackles, pops, etc.

Well Lucas didn't let me down. He proved yet again that he shouldn't be directing and writing Star Wars movies. With the exception of a few bright spots, the dialogue and acting were bad. Ian McDiarmid and Evan McGregor were the best performances followed up by the brief appearance of Christopher Lee.

Anakin's turn felt very quick, like he thought "Oh what the fuck, why not?!" Considering how pregnant Padme was she ran surprisingly well down the ship landing plank towards the end of the movie. Overall an okay movie, easily the best of the prequels. I can't help to imagine what those would have been like if Lucas had writing partners and directors to help him, not just for simple tweaks but overall different films. *sigh* One can only hope that if the recently talked about prequel to the prequels and fan desired episodes seven through nine ever see fruition, that Lucas keeps his dirty hands off them for people that can do better.

When all six movies are reissued in HD I'll probably only buy the original trilogy. Regular DVD is good enough for the second trilogy.
lister
New Me too
Refused to read this thread until then.
I got about 1/3 through Owl's post before abandoning.
Too much gushy crap.

Verdict: Worth watching. Once.
New Too late
When all six movies are reissued in HD I'll probably only buy the original trilogy.
You can't get the originals any more. You'll have to troll eBay for pre-edit versions.
===

New Yes, yes
I didn't mean the original unmodified trilogy. I know we can't get that anymore. I have the actual original unmodified movies on widescreen VHS which are stored away sealed in a box never to see sunlight again. I'm just saying that when the six movies are released in HD I'll just get IV, V and VI.
lister
New You probably won't be able to.
My bet is that Lucas releases all six films in a single pack, without releasing any DVD singles.
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall, aleph-null bottles of beer.
You take one down, you pass it around,
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall!
New Re: You probably won't be able to.
My bet is that Lucas releases all six films in a single pack, without releasing any DVD singles.

They are already out there in DVD singles, at least the first two prequels are. The OT was released in the 4 DVD set, and probably won't be released in singles, at least I would doubt it. But I'm sure Sith would be released by itself as a DVD single, I can't see him being ready for the box set of 6 later this year, not if he wants to get all the stuff in that he wants to put in it.

I saw Sith again on Monday, and caught a lot of the neat things Star Wars Fans look for that I had missed the first go-round, like a cameo of the Falcon. ;)

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl May 31, 2005, 09:29:48 PM EDT
New Saw ROTJ Sunday night
In the end, when you see the spirits of Anakin, Yoda and Obi Wan, they replaced the original actor for Anakin with the younger actor. For consistancy, they should have replaced both Yoda and Obi Wan as well.
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Hunter's guide to the StarWars III easter eggs (new thread)
Created as new thread #209082 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=209082|Hunter's guide to the StarWars III easter eggs]

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:42:49 AM EDT
     Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith - (Nightowl) - (51)
         Shorter version: Sith happens -NT - (rcareaga)
         clarification for owl - (rcareaga) - (5)
             I'm afraid you're quite mistaken - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Aw shucks - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     surprised - (rcareaga)
             hhmmmmm - (cforde) - (1)
                 the force is with you, my son - (rcareaga)
         10 "awesome"s and 57 "I"s. 3091 words. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Tell me you counted these statistics by hand.... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Naw, used Pages. - (pwhysall)
             As I explained - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Then why post it here? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Simply - (Nightowl)
         Suck Wars: Revenge of the Suck. - (inthane-chan) - (24)
             Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher could pull off lame dialog.. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 "The Science of Star Wars" is showing on some cable station - (Silverlock)
             How's it compare to Episode 1? - (warmachine) - (4)
                 Worlds better. - (inthane-chan)
                 Re: How's it compare to Episode 1? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     I know I'll be disappointed (spoiler) - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         You'll enjoy... - (SpiceWare)
             star wars one line review - (boxley) - (16)
                 Prediction - (drewk) - (12)
                     You mean: Charley and the Chocolate Factory? - (folkert)
                     That's a movie I'm looking forward to seeing - (bionerd) - (10)
                         Same thing we thought - (drewk) - (3)
                             The preview didn't answer any questions - (bepatient)
                             A few years ago I drove out to NJ - (bionerd) - (1)
                                 July 15 - (drewk)
                         Not Willy!!! Charley! -NT - (folkert)
                         Johnny's gonna be Charley? -NT - (bionerd) - (4)
                             It is the continuation of the Story... from what I am told. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Ooh, good call ... a simple remake would have been tricky -NT - (drewk)
                                 We should've looked it up in the first place - (bionerd) - (1)
                                     I see. So it is actually closer to the book than before. -NT - (folkert)
                 I thought some of the fights were decent - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     the only love interest I saw was the gay club - (boxley)
                 when it comes to reviews - (lincoln)
         Another angle on the series - - (Ashton)
         I wish that line had been there as well - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Yeah, poor Threepio! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Re: I'd say comparable to Return of the Jedi - (Nightowl)
         Finally saw it - (lister) - (6)
             Me too - (broomberg)
             Too late - (drewk) - (4)
                 Yes, yes - (lister) - (2)
                     You probably won't be able to. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Re: You probably won't be able to. - (Nightowl)
                 Saw ROTJ Sunday night - (SpiceWare)
         Hunter's guide to the StarWars III easter eggs (new thread) - (tuberculosis)

You know them Gnomes don't make no good money.
202 ms