IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How old?
My kids are 4th and 2nd grade, and Kindergarten next year.

The Clue Finders software is fun and it teaches math basics, plus reasoning and some verbals. Clue Finders runs 3rd Grade - 6th Grade. Basically, you solve math, reasoning, and verbal problems and work though the exercises to solve a "big" puzzle. The 3rd Grade Clue Finders is an excellent puzzle, but it's going to take some work to "win" it.

For younger kids, the Math Blaster series will teach basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. I like the "Mother Bird" Egg game. Even adults can have trouble winning against the computer.

If your daughter is older, I can't help, 'cause I don't have teens yet. Sometimes, the younger kid stuff works for the older kids too, if it's fun. You might try Clue Finders, then move up from there.

I would say that positive reinforcement does wonders. You'll need to act like you're very excited about this math stuff. Don't criticize or you'll lose her. If you can't make it fun and positive, then hire the teacher. If you get frustrated with progress, then hire the teacher. She has to learn this at her pace.

Glen Austin
Expand Edited by gdaustin May 17, 2005, 10:49:07 PM EDT
New Re: How old?
...Don't criticize or you'll lose her. ...

I can't agree with this more. One of the reasons I started hating math at an early age was this sentence from every teacher I encountered: "Why aren't you a genius at math like your older brother?"

Brenda

"The people of the world having once been deceived, suspect deceit in truth itself." -- Hitopadesa 600?-1100? AD, Sanskrit Fable From Panchatantr
New The brother who sent cash for an E-Bay purchase?
New Yep
Same one.

Brenda

"The people of the world having once been deceived, suspect deceit in truth itself." -- Hitopadesa 600?-1100? AD, Sanskrit Fable From Panchatantr
New And he's the smart one?
New Re: And he's the smart one?
Just because you're a math genius doesn't always mean you use your common sense all the time. :)

Brenda

Don't mind me, I'm playing in VI!
New My mater, in '20s:____Oh.. you Kid! :-\ufffd
     Need suggestion - (jbrabeck) - (29)
         Suggestion your wife may not agree with - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             I would be nervous about this approach. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Depends on the kid and family - (ben_tilly)
         I agree with Ben - (tuberculosis)
         Nothing first hand. - (Another Scott)
         How old? - (gdaustin) - (6)
             Re: How old? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                 The brother who sent cash for an E-Bay purchase? -NT - (broomberg) - (4)
                     Yep - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         And he's the smart one? -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Re: And he's the smart one? - (Nightowl)
                     My mater, in '20s:____Oh.. you Kid! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: Need suggestion - (Ashton)
         Is she receptive to carrot/stick? - (pwhysall)
         Check local college for tutors - (Silverlock)
         Added information to help with advice - (jbrabeck) - (13)
             Is she still under an IEP? - (bionerd) - (10)
                 Glasses and IEP - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                     One thing I've learned.. - (bionerd)
                     You're the adults; you TELL her to use 'em if she needs 'em. -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                         Says the newbie parent - (bionerd) - (6)
                             Been on the recieving end of it. Called child-rearing, AFAIK -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 Naive. -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                     Bah. "Give 'em a good beating if they don't obey, say I. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Ahhhh- That explains a lot! ;-) -NT - (bionerd) - (2)
                                             Eh, you *did* see the quotation marks, I hope? :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Yes ;-) -NT - (bionerd)
             Get a tutor. Do not try to do it yourself. - (ben_tilly)
             They should help each other, but need a pro. - (Another Scott)

Ubersoft - Standing On The Necks Of Giants
109 ms