IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Counterpoint.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61501-2005Mar23.html|Sympathetic Customers Save Giant Lobsters From the Pot]:

What he got from the seafood distributor was a gargantuan lobster and an outpouring of sentiment from customers who felt sorry for the 15-pound animal crammed into a tank alongside an assortment of its two- and three-pound cousins.

After Grolig spent days kibitzing over the ethics of his trade, the oversized crustacean, estimated to be between 35 and 40 years old, yesterday began a 400-mile journey back to its home waters off the coast of Massachusetts. One of the lobster's admirers purchased it for $150 -- about $30 more than Grolig paid the wholesaler -- and he agreed to coordinate the animal's liberation with help from his friends.

"I've never had a lobster that big at this store before, and I won't have one that big again," said Grolig, owner of River Falls Seafood Co. and a 21-year veteran of the seafood trade. "About 30 percent of the people who saw him in the tank expressed concern. A few customers were really unhappy. . . . I'm really torn about the whole idea of these big lobsters. Does it really make sense to sell them?"

Cheers,
Scott.
New Once this would have been considered a small lobster.
In the early 1700s and much of the 1800s lobster was considered food for the poor because it could be gathered on the beach after storms. Fifty pound lobsters were common because lobster fishing wasn't at all intensive.

The well-to-do had no interest in lobster until the invention of refrigerated rail cars by which they could be carted inland where they were exotic and expensive.

Once the demand was built in places like Chicago and the price was driven up New Englanders took notice and demanded lobster for themselves. Unregulated fisheries quickly depleted the supply of large lobsters.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New The motivations are unclear
These are people who are customers of a seafood store. What were they there to buy?

I'm reminded of a human interest story when I was in NH. A Red Lobster had an albino lobster and released it at the request of the patrons. They were not lobster rights activists by any means - they just thought that the albino lobster was cool and should be saved. (And then went to enjoy their own lobster dinner.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Keep an eye on your coworkers - (bionerd) - (22)
         Nooo kidding. - (folkert) - (1)
             We're just crazy, not psychopaths - (tablizer)
         Only some of us are - (ben_tilly) - (8)
             Now it is time to name names - (broomberg) - (7)
                 he said psychopath not sociopath, so you are safe :-) -NT - (boxley)
                 Ahhh, now you're worried, aren't you? :-) - (bionerd)
                 Well that line reminded me of something... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Good point -NT - (broomberg)
                 I know at least one person that scares me - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     Oh, come on, now! I'm real sweet 'n' cuddly, off-line! :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Hehehehe you're funny Conrad! - (Nightowl)
         It's articles like this . . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
             Take it easy there, cowboy. - (bionerd) - (8)
                 Yesss . . . I'll chop up some cabbages! - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     If you want screams... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         Counterpoint. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Once this would have been considered a small lobster. - (Andrew Grygus)
                             The motivations are unclear - (ben_tilly)
                         Auuuugh! - (Nightowl)
                     You'd probably like - (lincoln)
                     You'd probably like - (lincoln)
         Bah, stupid bleeding eejit "journalists" nowadays! - (CRConrad)

Fun is fun to have.
143 ms