IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On the gripping hand...
I heard a conversation with Steven Levitt on NPR's "Morning Edition" this morning. He has a new book called [link|http://www.freakonomics.com/|Freakonomics] out. An [link|http://www.freakonomics.com/ch5.php|excerpt] on "What Makes the Perfect Parent":

The problem is that they are often scared of the wrong things. It's not their fault, really. Separating facts from rumors is always hard work, especially for a busy parent. And the white noise generated by the experts-to say nothing of the pressure exerted by fellow parents- is so overwhelming that they can barely think for themselves. The facts they do manage to glean have usually been varnished or exaggerated or otherwise taken out of context to serve an agenda that isn't their own.

Consider the parents of an eight-year-old girl named, say, Molly. Her two best friends, Amy and Imani, each live nearby. Molly's parents know that Amy's parents keep a gun in their house, so they have forbidden Molly to play there. Instead, Molly spends a lot of time at Imani's house, which has a swimming pool in the backyard. Molly's parents feel good about having made such a smart choice to protect their daughter.

But according to the data, their choice isn't smart at all. In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. (In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year.) Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 millionplus guns. (In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns.) The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in 1 million-plus) isn't even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming accident at Imani's house than in gunplay at Amy's.

The book also argues (in Chapter 4) that the drop in crime in the 1990s was due in large part to the legal availablity of abortion in the 1970s.

There are obvious dangers in using raw statistics to make decisions, and that's part of the book's point.

Yes, Levitt is an economist at the University of Chicago. ;-)

It's on my List...

Cheers,
Scott.
New {chortle} nice excerpt re raw-stats: mothers milk of US pols
New I've read it recently
Very compelling arguments... The abortion debate is especially significant.

My all-time suspicion that names matter was finally given basis in reality. Somebody actually called their kids Micheal and Danny. Oh my.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New OT: Hey, long time no see! Welcome back.
New Ditt Tow! Don't be a stranger!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New I've been around, just not posting
The new job is quite a bit mory busy than the old one.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

Speaking of guns - (tuberculosis) - (43)
         An armed society - (broomberg) - (36)
             An armed society - (jake123) - (35)
                 and your point is? -NT - (boxley) - (34)
                     My point - (jake123) - (33)
                         well as long as you are satisfied - (boxley) - (6)
                             Just like people shouldn't judge all of the US from east LA - (jake123) - (5)
                                 Hochelaga? whats that? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Oops, sorry, - (jake123) - (3)
                                         lived in otterburn park, did gun shopping in verdun -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Was harder to get one for a while, and is easier now - (jake123) - (1)
                                                 thats yer other problem, turning ordinary folks - (boxley)
                         And vs. societies that are fully armed? - (imric) - (25)
                             Name a society that's fully armed. -NT - (jake123) - (10)
                                 Switzerland - (warmachine) - (9)
                                     Tell me, if you walk down the street in say Basel - (jake123) - (7)
                                         Funny. - (imric) - (5)
                                             Me too - (jake123) - (4)
                                                 If they 'pack', they are obligated to initiate gunplay - (imric) - (3)
                                                     I dunno - (jake123) - (2)
                                                         coverup on your side :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Not anymore - (jake123)
                                         Very few - (warmachine)
                                     Ah, but that's different - (pwhysall)
                             Miller, 1938. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                 so you admit the USSC is always right? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Nope. But it does go to show that ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         nah, picken choose the ones you like -NT - (boxley)
                                 *shrug* deny that fully armed societies exist all you want. -NT - (imric) - (9)
                                     OK - if you'll deny - (Ashton) - (8)
                                         I don't deny - (imric) - (7)
                                             But do you also deny... - (jb4) - (5)
                                                 I deny that they force ANYONE - (imric) - (4)
                                                     BUY THAT GUN ER ELSE, PARDNER! - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                         What's the name of the GA town that... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             ROFL... Forgot about them. - (imric)
                                                         Actually there was one town out in KY - (Simon_Jester)
                                             I may change my mind, too as the New Taliban cement their - (Ashton)
         On the gripping hand... - (Another Scott) - (5)
             {chortle} nice excerpt re raw-stats: mothers milk of US pols -NT - (Ashton)
             I've read it recently - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                 OT: Hey, long time no see! Welcome back. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Ditt Tow! Don't be a stranger! -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                         I've been around, just not posting - (Arkadiy)

We'll be back after a word from our sponsor.
62 ms