IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Complete the thought: And *Y* is that the WM default...? :-/
New Because that's what NeXTStep did...
...and WindowMaker is the nearest thing to a complete implementation of GNUStep (the Free version of NeXTStep) that exists.

Personally, I think NeXTStep only looks nice when it's running on one of those dandy NeXT computers; it looks good from a distance but when you get up close it's very 1995. Of course, one of the problems is that there areally aren't all that many applications that run within the GNUStep framework; there are a few, but there's no GNUStep browser, for example[0]. However, one benefit of coding to GNUStep is that you can trivially modify your application to compile on OS X.
[0] Unless, of course, someone wrapped Gecko up in GNUStep when I wasn't looking.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Sigh... So why did THEY do that, then? A: Because most...
...most people are right-handed, I (to borrow an expression) wot.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New I wot that your wot is wotful, I wot.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Werd.
New I don't know but ...
When I ran WindowMaker I would have the Dock on the right and have windows minimize to icons down the left side of the display, starting at the top. I think the default was across the bottom from the left. (Mac OS X has combined the two into one dock so you can't do that anymore.)
--
Chris Altmann
New I really don't know.
But I suspect that if they'd originally put the Dock on the left then it'd probably be there today. Even for right-handed people.

WM has a Clip which functions a little like a dock but the app icons are local to each screen. The Clip is, by default on the left. I left it there and put things on it, too. The value of the Dock was that the apps were there in every screen. The value of the Clip was that the apps weren't.

I may have been more inclined to get used to WindowMaker's Dock because a) I'm right-handed and b) it lives on the right of the screen but the reason I choose to mimic it there has less to do with the fact that I'm right-handed than that I had gotten used to it there and found it useful and convenient.

Besides, because of how we read (left-to-right, top-to-bottom), our brains associate different importances and roles to things on the left and right edges. With the left-aligned text usually in use in applications, one's attention tends to be towards the left. Having the Dock on the right helpfully and automatically dissociates it with the main content on the screen. I'm not as convinced as you are that mere right-handedness can be used to explain such a preference. :-) OTOH, the vast majority of the population down through the ages being right-handed has undoubtedly influenced the writing system in use in European languages... (-:

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

My Work Desktop. - (static) - (53)
         Let the beret commence! - (pwhysall) - (2)
             I forgot to say. - (static)
             Reminds me of OS/2 - (gdaustin)
         Strictly Business - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Hello, Andrew? 1996 called. He'd like his desktop back. -NT - (drewk) - (3)
                 (Yeah, and Borland wants its cogwheel icon.) -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Hey, if it's been running since 1996, why 'fix' it now? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     A-friggin-men. -NT - (imric)
         At Home - (altmann) - (2)
             That's a nice image. A really nice image. -NT - (static)
             Agreed it's a pretty picture. But IE? Don't you feel dirty? -NT - (Another Scott)
         You're right-handed, aren'tya, Wade? - (CRConrad) - (29)
             Could be. - (pwhysall) - (19)
                 How 'bout the sprog? This shit is supposed... - (CRConrad) - (18)
                     Right-handed. - (pwhysall) - (17)
                         Bah - *that* is hardly a problem, nowadays. - (CRConrad) - (16)
                             Scissors are easy enough... - (gdaustin) - (15)
                                 My mother's left handed, but bowls right handed. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                     Uhh ... bowling balls aren't right/left handed? - (drewk) - (6)
                                         I don't think they are. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             They don't come with holes in them - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 OIC. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         The holes are handed, the balls aren't. At least AFAIK. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             For once, I wasn't being pedantic - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 Just teasing. I should have mentioned she had her own. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Left-handed pool cues - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                         That "Woosh!" sound you just heard, Fluffy... -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                             Gotta better one than that. - (jake123) - (4)
                                                 Pipe stretching oil and left handed monkey wrench -NT - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                                     muffler bearings and halogen fluid. -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                                                         Metric Cresent Wrench, Box o'scribed lines, Aluminum Magnet -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                             whats a muslim wrench a mirror and a hand gotto do with it? -NT - (boxley)
             Why yes. - (static) - (7)
                 Complete the thought: And *Y* is that the WM default...? :-/ -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                     Because that's what NeXTStep did... - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         Sigh... So why did THEY do that, then? A: Because most... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             I wot that your wot is wotful, I wot. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Werd. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             I don't know but ... - (altmann)
                             I really don't know. - (static)
             I used to put it on the right - (cforde)
         Work and home, purty much Eye-Dent-iCal. - (folkert) - (2)
             gxmms volume control - (Yendor) - (1)
                 Ah-kay, explains why I couldna discover it. - (folkert)
         Re: My Work Desktop. - (SpiceWare)
         In XP, how do I get a picture of my desktop to post? -NT - (gdaustin) - (4)
             If it's like Win2k then... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 ok, here's mine - (gdaustin) - (2)
                     Getting a 503 -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                         It worked this morning. Nice scene. I would guess SE Asia. -NT - (Another Scott)
         My work Linux box - (drewk) - (2)
             Cute logo. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Corporate requirement, IIANM, - (folkert)

Even if you don't understand anything, you'll get to see the dots...
94 ms