IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More details at WashPost.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58537-2001Nov20.html|Here].

Terms of the deal would require Microsoft to donate software, recycled laptops and desktop computers, and other services to students in grades K-12 who attend public schools where 70 percent or more pupils are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches. One expert retained by the plaintiffs said the deal could impact nearly half a million teachers, and 7 million students in 14,000 schools.

The software packages, including 400,000 units of Microsoft's new Office XP program, are valued at $900 million by the company, although others peg their price tag even higher. The one million refurbished laptops and desktop computers to be donated to schools are worth between $500 and $600 apiece, one source said. The firm would also set aside as much as $90 million for teacher training and establish a foundation to dispense a possible $250 million in grants. A federal judge would retain authority over the agreement for five years.

Microsoft did not return calls for comment this morning.

Lawyers connected to the lawsuits said the unusual settlement is aimed at avoiding minimal payouts to thousands of consumers, who typically receive less than $10 in cash or coupons to purchase related products in such cases. Instead, the lawyers said, they wanted to make a bigger splash.

Not all of the various plaintiffs' attorneys have expressed pleasure with the deal. Some have argued in letters and conversations that the gift of Microsoft products will only make consumers more dependent on the world's monopoly operating system, Windows. Others, particularly from states such as California, have complained that they had too little say in the terms and that their clients, the consumers, do not benefit from it.

I wonder how many of those $500-600 refurbished laptops and PCs will be able to run Office XP....

400,000 copies of Office XP spread over 14,000 schools = 28 copies.

Whew. MS is being really generous here, aren't they.

Sheesh.

Of course, as CNET points out (in a story by Joe Wilcox), Apple's share of the school market likely to be damaged by such a settlement and MS certainly wouldn't mind that.

Another bad deal. But it seems that most class-action settlements are along these lines. E.g. Price fixing on game consoles and games? We'll give you a coupon for a few dollars off your next game purchase!

I hope it doesn't go through, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Questionable Math
Last time I checked, Office XP didn't cost $2250 ($900000000/400000) a copy.

There are some better details [link|http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO65917,00.html|here] The software donations appear to include more than just Office XP. There is other stuff too like training.
--
Chris Altmann
New Watch the commas...
I think it's a case of dodgy sentence construction.

The software packages, including 400,000 units of Microsoft's new Office XP program, are valued at $900 million by the company, although others peg their price tag even higher.

The total of the software packages is valued at $900 M by MS. Not just the OXP licenses.

This type of sentence construction seems to be popular in the press for some reason...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Watch the commas...
Seven cents a press on any CD Microshit "gives" to anyone. They are "giving" anyting to anyone?

Nevermind, I just bought more whisky.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     MS Bribes Plaintiffs in Private Lawsuits with Monopoly Money - (altmann) - (15)
         That's ... but ... I mean ... THEY CAN'T JUST ... aww crap - (drewk) - (2)
             Oldest game in the book. - (inthane-chan)
             Attorney gets a percentage - (mhuber)
         There *might* be more to it - (wharris2) - (2)
             Those computers are "off lease" "refurbs". - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Retch -NT - (wharris2)
         Me? I'll take the 10-fscking-dollars, thank you! -NT - (jb4)
         More details at WashPost. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Questionable Math - (altmann) - (2)
                 Watch the commas... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: Watch the commas... - (wharris2)
         Better idea - (Silverlock)
         I like RedHat's answer - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             I hope that gets some publicity. - (Meerkat)
         Dare we hope (?) - (Ashton)

Oh look... it's a dork!
38 ms