IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There *might* be more to it
I notice the story does say "software and computers" - of COURSE they've got to fork over computers because what computers these low-income schools have (those that have any, that is) will likely be donated 286's and 386's that hasn't a prayer of running any software Microsoft might donate.

The story says some 14,000 schools - if Microsoft forks over 20 computers capable of running their software per school, assuming an $800 computer, actual hardware might come to something like $250 million dollars. Still a drop in the bucket for Microsoft, but it is an actual expense rather than the mythical expense of software they can press for pennies a CD-ROM.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Those computers are "off lease" "refurbs".
Wall Street Journal described them as "refurbs" this morning. I'm presuming the "off lease" because that's the only place where you'd get quantities of recent machines in good shape.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Retch
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     MS Bribes Plaintiffs in Private Lawsuits with Monopoly Money - (altmann) - (15)
         That's ... but ... I mean ... THEY CAN'T JUST ... aww crap - (drewk) - (2)
             Oldest game in the book. - (inthane-chan)
             Attorney gets a percentage - (mhuber)
         There *might* be more to it - (wharris2) - (2)
             Those computers are "off lease" "refurbs". - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Retch -NT - (wharris2)
         Me? I'll take the 10-fscking-dollars, thank you! -NT - (jb4)
         More details at WashPost. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Questionable Math - (altmann) - (2)
                 Watch the commas... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: Watch the commas... - (wharris2)
         Better idea - (Silverlock)
         I like RedHat's answer - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             I hope that gets some publicity. - (Meerkat)
         Dare we hope (?) - (Ashton)

It goes up to "11".
36 ms