IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Vox populi
A short piece on this subject in the SF Chronicle today includes a helpful pie chart. According to a Gallup survey of 1016 "adults" conducted in February 2001, 48% of respondents believe in the creationist model and another 9% lean that way. 28% embrace the "theory* of evolution," with another 5% apparently disposed to consider it, and a full 10% ventured no opinion on the subject.

cordially,

*Yeah, and I have a "theory" that the sun occupies different positions in the sky at different times during the day. No, ye yokel 57%, that's not a theory, it's an observable phenomenon. Half a millenium ago there was a great dustup over whether a geocentric or a heliocentric model better accounted for the apparent movement of the sun. [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=111974|Galileo] lost that round, but Eppur si muove and all that, suckers.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Those figures don't match what I've heard
[link|http://www.newhumanist.org.uk/volume117issue4_more.php?id=193_0_9_0_C|http://www.newhumani...hp?id=193_0_9_0_C] gives a different breakdown from Gallup's survey on this question over the years.

In 2001, 45% of the American public believed that, God created people in present form within last 10,000 years. 37% believe that Evolution occurred over millions of years guided by God. Only 12% believe that Evolution occurred with
no interference by God.
And 9% don't know.

So only 12% believe in the standard scientific theory. 37% believe in some adaptation of that. And the other half the country doesn't believe in any variation of what science has overwhelmingly accepted for most of a century.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Creationism on the March - (tuberculosis) - (22)
         nope - (daemon)
         "Evolution theory not fact" - (deSitter) - (20)
             National Geographic: Was Darwin Wrong? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Re: National Geographic: Was Darwin Wrong? - (deSitter) - (4)
                     Cuz den dey'd have no babysitter! duh! -NT - (imric)
                     I assume you're arguing with this from the NG article. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Exactly - (deSitter)
                         Theory is wrong word - (tuberculosis)
             How have the biologists been obscure? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Because.. - (deSitter) - (10)
                     Evidence? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                         Look on any creationism site - (deSitter) - (6)
                             *wave*wave* - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 What do you want, direct quotes? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     You made the unsupportable assertion. - (pwhysall)
                             Ah right - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Re: Ah right - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     As you know, math is not a science - (ben_tilly)
                     Unstated and misunderstood by whom? - (ben_tilly)
                     Re: Because.. - (Ashton)
             Vox populi - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Those figures don't match what I've heard - (ben_tilly)

And suddenly it occurred to me where these guys had learned their tactics. They'd seen Beau Geste, and were copying the Foreign Legionaires at Fort Zinderneuf.
60 ms