IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 747 Nose Bolts
Having been in the bolt business at the time, I heard this about the 747 nose. After each of the early test flights, bold heads were found in the nose section - from the bolts that hold the nose on.

The manufacturer was accused of making bolts not up to spec, but proved randomly selected bolts from the spares stock met spec.

Further investigation found the cause. The nose was mounted on a trolly and rolled up to the fuselage. The bolts were put in place and torqued up to spec (a high percentage of the bolts tensile strength). Then the trolly was removed, adding the weight of the nose to the stress on the bolts, taking them beyond design tensile stress. Add to this the stress and vibration of flight, and the bolts started to break, starting with the uppermost ones.

On another subject, the company I worked for was a major manufacturer of the "fuse pins" that hold the engines on jet aircraft. They are made to very strict specifications, and we had to break between 5% and 10% of production to prove consistency. The ones for the 747 are about 3" in diameter, hollow, with a contoured inside. All are hard chrome plated on the outside so eliminate wear from vibration that would change their break point.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Bolts.
Hmmm, if most aircraft bolts are 'relieved', torqued to near elastic limit in ordinary service - implication is that they cannot handle much external force at all. Impulse I mean, (F x T) as an object hitting. Not even a very big object. The 747 was failing with only the relatively gradual stress of the added mass loading - scary chosen bolt dia. then :[

Only automotive equiv. that comes to mind is cyl. head bolts. Cheaper and to less rigid specs of course - but IIRC - many nowadays are meant to be torqued equally near elastic limits, and except for one retorquing (from initial creep and from thus - 'slacked-off') = reset just up to original value. If ever removed next - buy new. Ditto for my Kawa KZ-550 cyl. head bolts, when I changed head gasket.

Trains are nice.

Ashton
     Another attack? AA plane crashes in NY - (bluke) - (39)
         No inidications of attack - (Silverlock) - (26)
             Didn't jump to any conclusions - (bluke) - (12)
                 goto dictionary .com, look up infer. -NT - (Silverlock) - (4)
                     Speaking of inference... - (marlowe) - (3)
                         infer vs. imply - (ChrisR)
                         Nah - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             That one cuts both ways. - (marlowe)
                 I see nothing wrong with title - (tablizer) - (6)
                     You're entitled to your opinion. -NT - (Silverlock) - (5)
                         He's not the only one who read it as a QUESTION - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                             Perhaps I'm too sensitive. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                 While a question can be alarmist, - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     Yeah - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                         Know how it goes - (SpiceWare)
             Meanwhile they declared a level 1 alert in NYC ... - (bluke)
             Reports of an explosion before the crash - (bluke) - (8)
                 On the ground or in the air? - (tablizer) - (1)
                     Engines can explode... - (Simon_Jester)
                 Re: Reports of an explosion before the crash - (hnick) - (5)
                     They serve goose on AA? I only get peanuts -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                         This figures with your reputation... - (hnick)
                     Investigators find signs birds may have caused crash - (bluke) - (2)
                         I had this really weird image... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Er.. that's \ufffd Alfred Hitchcock and we don't want to go there - (Ashton)
             Ari Fleischer would be proud. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Here's How - (Decco Dave) - (1)
                     Nah - reverse doggerel == doggerel - (Ashton)
         Houston Chronicle has info - (SpiceWare)
         From first witness reports - (Samuel)
         And NOW what is going on? - (wharris2) - (9)
             I would imagine they meant that in a relative way - (Steven A S)
             Engines - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Comments; flight data recorder found. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Most unusual putative-factoid I heard: - (Ashton) - (5)
                         It doesn't take much. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             I'd forgotten the F-117 and The Bolts + ___*Just In* - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 a cargo jet dropped an engine a few blocks from my house in - (boxley)
                             747 Nose Bolts - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Bolts. - (Ashton)

It's administration policy.
63 ms