IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No inidications of attack
Plane reported to "spiral" down. This points to engine failure. Crashed in a residential neighborhood, not a political/economic target. The conclusion you jump to is incorrect at this time. Wait for details before spouting alarmist crap.
How to mangle the truth;

Have it reported by any major U.S. media outlet.
New Didn't jump to any conclusions
That is why I wrote Another Attack? did you miss the question mark?
New goto dictionary .com, look up infer.
How to mangle the truth;

New Speaking of inference...
I infer that you implicitly implicate me as well. I also use question marks in the same manner.

Also, never mind what the dictionary approves, what on earth is the point of using "infer" to mean "imply" when you can just as easily, and with greater clarity, use the latter word?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New infer vs. imply
A speaker implies somthing. A listener infers something.

Probably was the point your point that you were implying. At least that's what I inferred from you statement. :-)
New Nah
Gave up on you a long time ago. No sense trying to open a mind with such obvious welds keeping it shut.
How to mangle the truth;

New That one cuts both ways.
What you project onto the Other reflects back on you.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
Expand Edited by marlowe Nov. 12, 2001, 01:20:58 PM EST
New I see nothing wrong with title
The question mark is sufficient IMO

New He's not the only one who read it as a QUESTION
and not a statement.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Perhaps I'm too sensitive.
Nope. A question can be just as alarmist as a statement.
How to mangle the truth;

New While a question can be alarmist,
it's not the same as "jumping to a conclusion".

In this case, it was a request to see if anybody had more information to determine if it was an attack or not. The initial post(later edited) was "I can't get any more details as all the news sites are unavailable.", which supports the "request for info" aspect of the title. No need to get upset with everybody else because you inferred more than what was implied.

I'm sure the question "was it another attack?" was on initially on most everybody's mind when the plane first went down. I know it was were I work. It's not all that surprising, given the circumstance.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

Expand Edited by SpiceWare Nov. 13, 2001, 10:58:50 AM EST
New Yeah
I'm just so damned pissed at the media lately that when I saw what I thought was another "would you care to comment on the suppositions regarding the possiblities of the chances of more attacks?" type of question I jumped to my own conclusion. Sorry bluke and others. I shouldn't take it out on my friends when strangers get me riled up. (And you can't get much stranger than some of our news "personalities").
How to mangle the truth;

New Know how it goes
I'm fighting a sinus infection and I feel like I'll to scream if just one more person comes up with "oh, you poor thing", "what are you taking", "have you seen a doctor" and so on. Everybody has their limits :-)

Darrell Spice, Jr.

New Meanwhile they declared a level 1 alert in NYC ...
and shut down all the airports
New Reports of an explosion before the crash
In other words, it could have been a bomb, it would not be the first time.
New On the ground or in the air?
If the alleged "first" explosion was on the ground, then it could have the plane engine dropping. Reportedly a plane engine detached and smacked into to the ground.

When engines croak and catch fire, do they "explode"?

However, being in NY, it is a little bit on the suspicious side.

There goes the "Airline recovery", regardless. Anybody who was nervious about flying is not gonna step on one of those without dragging and kicking. That probably reduces family flights, since one skittish person will probably result in none going.

That can cause the engine to "croak and catch fire".

Don't know if that's what happened though.
New Re: Reports of an explosion before the crash
Could have been a bomb. Also could have been sabotage, stupidity, part failure, a bad reaction to a goose dinner, or any number of things. At the moment, there just isn't enough information to jump to conclusions.
Mind you, the odds of flying into or out of the NYC area are getting worse, for whatever reason... Don't think I'd want to do it, but then I've always disliked NYC anyway.

-Hugh
New They serve goose on AA? I only get peanuts
New Investigators find signs birds may have caused crash
[link|http://www.msnbc.com/news/656892.asp|Investigators find signs birds may have caused crash of Flight 587]

"Investigators examining one of the separated engines from American Airlines Flight 587 found foreign debris inside, indicating that the engine may have ingested a flock of birds and then caught on fire."
New I had this really weird image...
Pres. Shrub announces a press conference, and comes on TV...

"Our nation has suffered another great tragedy in New York. Elements of another group opposed to our way of life took advantage of our focus on the war on Terrorism to attack us yesterday. Today I declare a war on the second greatest threat to the American way - birds! We will not rest until every single bird has been hunted down and eliminated as a threat..."
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Er.. that's \ufffd Alfred Hitchcock and we don't want to go there
- they outnumber us and..

They won. (Actually a short drive from here - nice restaurant, once: The Tides)

(Fortunately.. something outnumbers us) til we nuke 'em all..
Then: We win :-)
New Ari Fleischer would be proud.
After all, "we're under attack!" is the battle cry for stripping the remnants of our remaining Constitutional rights from us. It's useful to keep crying "Wolf!", how else are we going to rationalize the suspension of The Constitution?
New Here's How
By declaring "it's for the children" or "it will protect you from the evil corporations".
Worked most of the time for the Clintonistas for 8 years. And they didn't even have the threat of terrorism to make it real.
New Nah - reverse doggerel == doggerel
One o' those mysteries like 'conserving' the Constitution by ignoring it. Or tossing Red Herrings into any issue to deflect it into agit-prop.

Kinda like M$, y'know? Studied them a lot?
     Another attack? AA plane crashes in NY - (bluke) - (39)
         No inidications of attack - (Silverlock) - (26)
             Didn't jump to any conclusions - (bluke) - (12)
                 goto dictionary .com, look up infer. -NT - (Silverlock) - (4)
                     Speaking of inference... - (marlowe) - (3)
                         infer vs. imply - (ChrisR)
                         Nah - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             That one cuts both ways. - (marlowe)
                 I see nothing wrong with title - (tablizer) - (6)
                     You're entitled to your opinion. -NT - (Silverlock) - (5)
                         He's not the only one who read it as a QUESTION - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                             Perhaps I'm too sensitive. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                 While a question can be alarmist, - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     Yeah - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                         Know how it goes - (SpiceWare)
             Meanwhile they declared a level 1 alert in NYC ... - (bluke)
             Reports of an explosion before the crash - (bluke) - (8)
                 On the ground or in the air? - (tablizer) - (1)
                     Engines can explode... - (Simon_Jester)
                 Re: Reports of an explosion before the crash - (hnick) - (5)
                     They serve goose on AA? I only get peanuts -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                         This figures with your reputation... - (hnick)
                     Investigators find signs birds may have caused crash - (bluke) - (2)
                         I had this really weird image... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Er.. that's \ufffd Alfred Hitchcock and we don't want to go there - (Ashton)
             Ari Fleischer would be proud. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Here's How - (Decco Dave) - (1)
                     Nah - reverse doggerel == doggerel - (Ashton)
         Houston Chronicle has info - (SpiceWare)
         From first witness reports - (Samuel)
         And NOW what is going on? - (wharris2) - (9)
             I would imagine they meant that in a relative way - (Steven A S)
             Engines - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Comments; flight data recorder found. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Most unusual putative-factoid I heard: - (Ashton) - (5)
                         It doesn't take much. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             I'd forgotten the F-117 and The Bolts + ___*Just In* - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 a cargo jet dropped an engine a few blocks from my house in - (boxley)
                             747 Nose Bolts - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Bolts. - (Ashton)

Beware of things that go blimp in the night...
105 ms