IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kerry *is* to the right on Defense and economy
My impression is that Kerry *has* been and continues to be rather conservative (in the little "c" sense) on Defense and the economy... he was an early voice behind balancing the budget in the 90's.

I believe his "problem" is that he has been an unforgivable pest on several issues very uncomfortable to the power right, from his early showcase opposition to the Vietnam war, to his investigations of Iran-Contra and BCCI scandals.

Giovanni
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New He hasn't positioned himself there.
He has positioned himself early and often as a purveyor of big government spending programs ("I have a plan to save x, to fix Y and to satisfy Z"), he is now and was in the early 90s and also in the early 70s anti-military.

His budget balancing act came at the expense of intel and military spending.

These are not centrist position in their details, only on their face.

This is the perception. You may believe it false in the detail (and some may actually be)...but again...unless you change people's perception during the campaign, that perception becomes your reality.

I know conversations like this tickle those in other countries that see all of this as 2 versions of the same thing...simply because they have >real< choices...but in US politics over the last couple of decades...Bush and Kerry are about as wide as the choice has been in a while, at least on the surface. This is unfortunate for the Democrats in this election..because I think they could have easily won had they picked a different candidate..even simply flipping the ticket.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: He hasn't positioned himself there.
I do agree that Bush and Kerry are about as wide a choice as there has been in a while, but it's not as much of a left-right kind of separation as it is an up-down one. Kerry is certainly not too far to the left to appeal to centrists.

There has been a concerted effort to paint him as a morally indecisive liberal elitist intellectual, but that is just the silvering behind a carefully crafted mirror intended to reflect Bush's image as the opposite (and better) choice in every respect. I think the smoke and mirrors have very little to do with Kerry's actual fitness to command or political posture, and even less with Bush's.

To suggest the Dems could have reduced the quality of the GOP's negative portrayal of their candidate by choosing a different person is as disingenuous as suggesting that Saddam could have averted the war by letting the UN inspectors in.

Bush and Kerry are about as wide as the choice has been in a while, at least on the surface. This is unfortunate for the Democrats in this election..because I think they could have easily won had they picked a different candidate..even simply flipping the ticket.

New Not fitness for purpose.
Its his history that has allowed this Repo smear tactic to work. He can't fight back against it without being blatant. His anti-Vietnam activity is too prevalent for him to now say he's "pro-war"...>that< plays into the "flip-flop" argument.

Someone with less baggage would have had a better chance.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New Do you really believe that?
Do you really believe that the "group of folks" running Bush's campaign would have given someone with "less baggage" more of a break in the covering-with-slime area?

I don't believe that for a second. And when a candidate can weather the shitstorm and come out the other side looking like a silver dollar to the other guys wooden nickel (and he did, especially during the three debates) it makes you respect him all the more.

The whiney flip-flopping indecisive one with the reeking baggage is not the Democrat.

Giovanni
New Support and Counter-argument
Support: Howard Dean was attacked maliciously for his yell. Not very Presidential. (But the finger is? I've yet to see one right-wing talk show host talk about Bush giving the bird)

Counter-Argument: Dean was voted out by Democrats, not Republicans. There are elements, even within the Democratic Party, that are broken. Kerry's nomination is, imho, one of those elements.
New Slightly different approach
Do you really believe that the "group of folks" running Bush's campaign would have given someone with "less baggage" more of a break in the covering-with-slime area?

Not for a second.

I think it would have been less likely to >stick< to someone else.

New the Hanoi Jane backlash, hard to overcome
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
     Okay, I'm really not trying to be a Smart*ss. - (mmoffitt) - (67)
         There is no try - only do - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Note that NYC is going to vote against Bush - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 as he said - (SpiceWare)
         Houston's quite diverse - (SpiceWare) - (7)
             Indiana is a small town. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Gary is like Crawfordsville?!? -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     Re: Gary is like Crawfordsville?!? - (jb4)
                     Gary? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         My Home Sweet Home! Not. - (Another Scott)
                     Heh. Forgot. Gary is another country ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         I've driven through Indiana enough times, TYVM. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         That's a very broad brush you're painting with. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Not even close - (deSitter)
         I guess that's why Bush is so popular in Karachi. - (Another Scott) - (47)
             Disagree completely. - (mmoffitt) - (46)
                 Because you are wrong - (bepatient) - (44)
                     So why do they support THIS blackguard? - (jb4) - (31)
                         You're smoking again, aren't you? - (bepatient) - (30)
                             Out of curiosity... - (admin) - (24)
                                 Re: Out of curiosity... - (bepatient) - (23)
                                     Ah, that. - (admin) - (19)
                                         You're not taking into account - (rcareaga)
                                         Re: Ah, that. - (bepatient) - (17)
                                             Whoops. - (admin) - (16)
                                                 I know that. - (bepatient) - (15)
                                                     This is something I think many people miss in your posts. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                         You're probably right... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             I read the bit about Ted Kennedy - (admin)
                                                     Re: He's too far left for base Republicans to defect. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                         Make light of it...but it's a failure of both parties - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                             Agree. It's going to be rough. - (mmoffitt)
                                                         I hear they're all the fashion in Topeka and Memphis. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                     Kerry *is* to the right on Defense and economy - (GBert) - (7)
                                                         He hasn't positioned himself there. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                             Re: He hasn't positioned himself there. - (GBert) - (5)
                                                                 Not fitness for purpose. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                     Do you really believe that? - (GBert) - (2)
                                                                         Support and Counter-argument - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                         Slightly different approach - (bepatient)
                                                                     the Hanoi Jane backlash, hard to overcome -NT - (daemon)
                                     Dunno. - (Another Scott)
                                     Oh, stop it! You're killing me. "Clinton too far left?" - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Sometimes I wonder... - (bepatient)
                             Good one. That one got beer through the nose. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 See above. -NT - (bepatient)
                                 Yeah, a centrist like Pat Buchanan or John McCain... - (GBert) - (2)
                                     Make light if you like. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         My point (somewhere under all the sarcasm) was - (GBert)
                     A common misconception - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                         Difference between support and infrastructure. - (bepatient) - (9)
                             I didn't say "hand out" - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                 I know you didn't. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                     Understood and disagreed - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                         I know >you< don't. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                             The grate unwashed... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                 its hard to br a great washed - (daemon) - (3)
                                                     Been there, done that - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         you went to town - (daemon) - (1)
                                                             Point -NT - (ben_tilly)
                     Re: Because you are wrong - (JayMehaffey)
                 Yes and no...you're glossing over it - (Simon_Jester)
         Re: Okay, I'm really not trying to be a Smart*ss. - (daemon)
         Psychology Angle - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Good link, thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         It's a deeper problem - (warmachine) - (2)
             You might like this. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Many a true word spoken in jest -NT - (warmachine)

Non-migratory, just like coconuts.
97 ms