"Times are lean and mean, and Microsoft is just meaner than its competitors. Microsoft is meaner than anyone."

There's a big difference between being mean and breaking the law. And the courts have found that MS did, indded, break the law.

"But do their actions have anything to do with creating current economic conditions? No, I don't think so."

I'll disagree again. Competition is good. With competition, you would (theoretically) seem more innovation.

That lack of innovation is what is hurting the market right now. What more does anyone need than Win95/MSOffice97? If they don't need it, they won't buy it. If they don't buy it, you can't sell it to them.

We had a HUGE rush when Netscape popularized the browser. What have we had since? What has MS provided to fill that hole left when they destroyed Netscape?

"Microsoft is certainly not the only successful software company. Look at Adobe, Intuit, Oracle, or Autodesk to prove that. Most importantly, does the average consumer think that Microsoft is extorting him? No."

Aside from Oracle, which of these is not a possible takeover target from MS? They already tried Intuit (the Government got in the way of that one). Wait for times to get a little leaner and you'll see MS eating others. Just like they ate Visio.

And the average consumer didn't think AT&T was extorting him, either. Just that long distance was expensive and the service was crappy. Hmmmm, sounds a lot like MS. But our phone system was better than what lots of other countries had.

"If you don't like Microsoft, stop buying their products. Go to Linux or Apple. There are alternatives, many of them cheaper and most of them better, so use them."

I'd expect Mr. Cringley to understand what the word "monopoly" meant. But I'd be wrong.

"They will begin half-hearted settlement negotiations with the DOJ -- half-hearted because Microsoft gets richer the longer it takes to settle. "
Agreement.

"All the while, they'll push every button they can find in the Bush Administration, which may well cave and let Microsoft off with a warning."
Agreement.

"But that doesn't eliminate the many states that are party to the original lawsuit. Microsoft will just have to threaten each of these in turn."
Agreement.

But if people can just move to Linux or Apple and the average person doesn't feel bad about MS anyway, then why concern yourself with any of these?

Really, why concern yourself?

"Understand something here -- Microsoft is a Spartan outfit, and Spartans like to fight."
Disagree. MS has not been able to advance ANY of its non-monopoly endevours. MS only understands MONOPOLY leveraging. Not fighting.

"Why $2 billion? Because that's about how much it would cost to move Microsoft offshore, something they will threaten to do."
This is so pathetic it makes me wonder about Mr. Cringley's mentallity. No, MS will NOT move to another country. They might THREATEN to, but if they move, they lose ALL of their US advantages.

Think the US government will be happy using non-US software?

Let's talk import tariffs.

And so on.

"I have no idea where Microsoft would move, but I know they are considering it. Let me repeat that: I KNOW THEY ARE CONSIDERING IT. "

Ooooohhhhhhh. Insider knowledge. That makes you sooooo 31337.

Yes, they probably are "considering" it. And then discarding it almost as quickly. There are too many DISADVANTAGES to leaving. MS cannot risk ANY threats to its monopoly.

Think about it. Just think about it.
XP is starting the move to network based systems.
Who is the biggest software consumer? The US.
Who has the best pipelines? The US.
What other country has sufficient pipelines to feed XP crap to the US? No one.

So, MS leaves the country and pushes XP and the US suffers pipeline starvation.
People are unhappy with XP.
And so on.

"The best solution I think would be for Gates and Ballmer to simply buy a small country and declare Microsoft's sovereignty. "

Again, go for it. Just shut up and do it.

"Once Microsoft is not only outside the USA, but is itself a sovereign nation, all anti-trust bets are off."

Think again. Do some research. Foreign companies have tried to monopolize US businesses before. And the Government didn't look kindly upon them.

"As a diplomat, Gates couldn't even be arrested for speeding on visits back to Redmond, a result that might make the move worthwhile in itself."

Again, just shut up and do it.

Stop waxing philosophical about how wonderous it would be.

Just do it.

Then face the reality.