IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kerry has a history
of pulling things together in the 11th hour.

He did it in the Democratic Primaries where he was not the front runner most of the time (seriously, I wrote the guy off early as having no compelling message vs Dean and some of the others).

His senate races ran similarly. He's apparently like Elway's Broncos (who were most likely to win if they were losing at the end of the first half)*.

Its too close to call and will most definitely be decided in the debates. I'm putting my money on Kerry.

* Donald Trump pointed this out in an interview last week when he insisted that you cannot count Kerry out.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
New Kerry is history...
If he has to "win" at the debates. I have a sad observation to pass along to you, Todd. Only partisans watch the debates. Noone is swayed. Most independents feel that there needs to be compelling reason to change in an incumbent election. The Democrats have provided no compelling reasons, just the same tired diatribes. This is over except for the crying. It reminds me of Dole in '96. Few would argue that he wasn't a great statesman, but the majority of the people had little will to "change" presidents in that election either, even though many felt that Pres Clinton was incompetent.

Contrary to the popular diatribes found in these fora, this election is Bush's to win or lose. Barring a major scandal/guffaw, this incumbent will be re-elected by a decent margin.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Reporting on debates
While the actual viewing of the debates is less then could be hoped, the impact can be significant. The press reports on how they think it worked out, and the public impression created by that does have a significant impact on the wavering voters.

This is why the minimize the expectations game is so important. If you can convince the press to say your guy did better then expected, despite doing badly, it can come off pretty well because the undecided are often basing their impressions on second and third hand reports.

As for comparing it to Dole, it should be remembered that Dole was tilting at windmills from the start. Despite Republican fury and thunder, Clinton was very popular with the public his entire time in office.

Jay
New Not to much that the economy was doing pretty good...
...under Clinton. Under the current administration, the economy sucks, oil prices are at all time highs, the deficit is going sky high (both government and trade), medical insurance rates have double digit rates, terrorism is on the rise.....

Like I said, if we weren't at war, Bush would be toast.
New We have a winner.
bcnu,
Mikem

"The struggle for the emancipation of the working class is not between races or religions. It is one of class against class. Every trace of anti-Semitism, or any form of race hatred cannot assist the oppressed, it can on the contrary only aid the exploiters. Workers of all nationality, religion or creed must stand together against the common enemy: capitalism."
-Ted Grant
New "Barring a major scandal/guffaw"? HAHAHAHA!!!!
Quousque tandem abutere, Dubya, patientia nostra?

We've already had four years of increasingly outrageous scandals and increasingly stultifying guffaws; I think the only thing that could possibly cause the Bush machine to waver would be if they came out in favor of breaking up the media concentrations -- and they'd sooner admit to eating poor people for lunch.

A margin big enough to avoid triggering recounts, but not so big as to clash too heavily with the most recent twisted polls. Exit polls will prove to have had serious methodological flaws.

Giovanni
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New Don't agree
I expect that the younger voters (that new segment in the other message) will watch.

Anyhow, its widely believed that Gore lost the election in the debates. But we'll have to see. I don't think its too late for him to turn it around.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
New Gore lost the election in the Supreme Court
     US Presidential Election Predictions - (pwhysall) - (26)
         Easy prediction: We lose. - (ChrisR)
         Here's mine - (inthane-chan)
         Re: US Presidential Election Predictions - (xtensive) - (4)
             Give that 11 more years - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 There may be a spoiler. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     That's a given. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Well at least it's always Honestly depressing - (Ashton)
         Kerry with zero margin of error - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             Re: Kerry with zero margin of error - (deSitter) - (3)
                 Don't count the chicks early - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                     Expectations or no, Bush beat Gore in the debates. - (Another Scott)
                     Debate format favors Bush (as expected) - (jb4)
         My Prediction: Peter's right and I'll want to live elsewhere -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Kerry has a history - (tuberculosis) - (7)
             Kerry is history... - (danreck) - (6)
                 Reporting on debates - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                     Not to much that the economy was doing pretty good... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         We have a winner. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 "Barring a major scandal/guffaw"? HAHAHAHA!!!! - (GBert)
                 Don't agree - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Gore lost the election in the Supreme Court -NT - (ChrisR)
         I should point out... - (pwhysall)
         I foresee two possible outcomes - (orion) - (1)
             Oh my God, they killed Kenny - (ChrisR)
         I predict lawsuits -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             That's a hard one. :) -NT - (inthane-chan)

Satire is now officially dead. It died from laughing too hard and choking on its own vomit.
65 ms