IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Just recall the original definition of a "deadline"
It was a line that they drew around prisoners in the Civil War.

Anyone who crossed that line got shot. Hence "dead line".

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New HAHAHA! Thanks Ben!
Man, you don't know how much I needed that today!

And yes, I knew that, I love the Civil War! It is my favorite historical subject.

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New Dammit to hell...
...you'se damn yankees have to remember to call it by it's proper title:

WAR BETWEEN THE STATES!!!

(reminds of my grandmother who grew up thinking that "damn yankee" was one word).
New Re: Dammit to hell...
War betwixt the Yankees and the Americans
-drl
New That'd be the spirit!
New I beg your pardon
I ain't no DAMN Yankee, I'm a proud Confederate! ;)

Nightowl >8#

(My mom was a Yankee and my Dad was a Rebel)

Edit: And before anyone gets any ideas, no I don't support slavery. I liked the Confederate Uniform better, (made one for myself once, although not the greatest), and I thought they fought with more heart, is all.

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
Expand Edited by Nightowl Aug. 26, 2004, 10:56:44 PM EDT
New Re: I beg your pardon
My Mom was a Yankee too, but she couldn't help that.
-drl
New Yep, true!
I was born in Missouri so I can choose. She was born in Illinois, Dad was born in Kentucky.

My husband was born in North Carolina, which was really part of the South, but other southerner's don't recognize it because it has the word North in it.

Heheh!

Nightowl >8#

New Re: Yep, true!
Southern Illinois is the best of both worlds, Yankee brains and Rebel heart. Good food!

-drl
New Oh I agree!
I used to eat at the farm of my sister's mother-in-law, and man, she could cook! I would eat ham and scalloped potatoes, Cut-string beans and corn on the cob, and homemade buns, with berries right from her garden, blueberries and raspberries. All washed down with sweetened sun-tea! Yummmm!

Makes me hungry just thinking about it. :)

Hmmmm obl flame.... DAMN GOOD! ;)

(Wondering if we should move the topic elsewhere! ;) Hehe)

Nightowl >8#

New Erm...Say WHAT?!?
Obviously, you ain't been to Cairo.

(Chances are, you don't even know how to pronounce it, either!)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Thinking.... (new thread)
Created as new thread #171272 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=171272|Thinking....]

New Oh but I have, many times
Nearby is Metropolis, "Home of Superman!"

It's "Care-Oh".

The area is the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, one of the great unknown natural wonders of this country.
-drl
New I was born in WA so I can move on and live in the present ;)
New Re: Yep, true!
North Carolina skirmishers (18th NC reg't) probably lost the war for the Rebs when they shot Genl. Jackson from his horse during the Battle of Chancellorsville. He was irreplaceable. Had he been at Gettysburg a few months later, the course of US history would have completely changed.

Secessionitis was never very strong in North Carolina or Eastern Tennessee. Here's a breakdown of votes by county in the plebiscite to call a secession convention:

[link|http://members.aol.com/jweaver303/nc/convvote.htm|http://members.aol.c...3/nc/convvote.htm]

There were numerous units from North Carolina and Tennessee serving in the Union army. North Carolina was one of the last of the 11 states to secede.

No major battles occured in North Carolina. However, after marching to Savannah, Sherman continued his path of destruction into both Carolinas and was in North Carolina at war's end. As far as he was concerned, Rebels were Rebels.

However, none of this has anything to do with the word "North". It could just as well been named "Dangerfield".

The North Carolina flag does feature the "single star" of the "Bonnie Blue Flag" of Louisiana, and the red and white bars of the 1st national flag.
-drl
New wow great find
Alamance country, seat of the rebellion against the Brits voting to stay union, however speaking with any current day decendant they are reb to the core.
thanx,
bill
These miserable swine, having nothing but illusions to live on, marshmallows for the soul in place of good meat, will now stoop to any disgusting level to prevent even those miserable morsels from vanishing into thin air. The country is being destroyed by these stupid, vicious right-wing fanatics, the spiritual brothers of the brownshirts and redstars, collectivists and authoritarians all, who would not know freedom if it bit them on the ass, who spend all their time trying to stamp, bludgeon, and eviscerate the very idea of the individual's right to his own private world. DRL
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Wow, that's fascinating! (new thread)
Created as new thread #171263 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=171263|Wow, that's fascinating!]

New Re: No major battles occured in North Carolina.
While vising [link|http://www.newbern.com/history/|New Bern, NC.], I remember being surprised to learn that it was in Union hands from March of 1962 onwards.
Alex

"If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words." -- Philip K. Dick, US science fiction writer
New Columbia TN
..was taken by Grant's troops in early 1862 and held for the remainder of the war. One of Columbia's citizens was Sam Watkins, who survived all the major actions in the West other than Vicksburg. He wrote a memoir - "Company H, a Sideshow of the Big Show". I have a hazy plan to convert this book into a screenplay called "White Trash".

"In this army, a man with one hole in his trouser seat is a Colonel, one with two holes a Captain, one with three a Lieutenant, and one with the seat entirely out, a private soldier."

"I always shot at privates, as they were the ones who did the shooting and killing. I always regarded officers are harmless personages."

-Sam Watkins

-drl
New Re: I beg your pardon
Edit: And before anyone gets any ideas, no I don't support slavery. I liked the Confederate Uniform better, (made one for myself once, although not the greatest), and I thought they fought with more heart, is all.

For the record, you'll find that people here are much more aware of the nature of the civil war than your rank 'n file 'Murican, and do not automatically assume that Confederate==supports slavery.
What will we do when we are Gods?
New To tell you the truth
I didn't think of that, actually. My husband was watching me post it, and as I'd had a bad day with everything going on, he said, "watch out, they might take that as you're racist and support slavery."

So I edited it to be safe.

Glad to know we aren't "typical Murican's" to use Ashton's word.

Nightowl >8#

New As an aside...
I got could in for Jury pool day before yesterday for the county civil court. Noticed a good ole boy that wore a t-shirt with a prominent confederate flag.

Can't decide which scenario would be sadder. Either (a) the guy was trying to get off jury duty by being obviously offense; or (b) the guy didn't have a clue that he was being offensive.
New Surely you mean...
"War of Northern Aggression." That's how folks I visited in South Carolina a few years back corrected me.

Ah, the South! If you leave aside the climate, the politics, the cuisine and the people—what's not to like?

cordially,
Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?
New And don't call him "Surely"...
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Must scream now - (Nightowl) - (28)
         Let me guess... - (hnick) - (27)
             I'm guessing it's a Pecker problem. -NT - (ChrisR) - (26)
                 which would lead to going whack.... -NT - (hnick)
                 Not quite, Chris...... - (Nightowl) - (24)
                     Just recall the original definition of a "deadline" - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                         HAHAHA! Thanks Ben! - (Nightowl) - (22)
                             Dammit to hell... - (ChrisR) - (21)
                                 Re: Dammit to hell... - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     That'd be the spirit! -NT - (ChrisR)
                                 I beg your pardon - (Nightowl) - (16)
                                     Re: I beg your pardon - (deSitter) - (12)
                                         Yep, true! - (Nightowl) - (11)
                                             Re: Yep, true! - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                 Oh I agree! - (Nightowl)
                                                 Erm...Say WHAT?!? - (jb4) - (2)
                                                     Thinking.... (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                                     Oh but I have, many times - (deSitter)
                                             I was born in WA so I can move on and live in the present ;) -NT - (FuManChu)
                                             Re: Yep, true! - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                 wow great find - (boxley)
                                                 Wow, that's fascinating! (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                                 Re: No major battles occured in North Carolina. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                     Columbia TN - (deSitter)
                                     Re: I beg your pardon - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                         To tell you the truth - (Nightowl)
                                         As an aside... - (ChrisR)
                                 Surely you mean... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     And don't call him "Surely"... -NT - (jb4)

History shows again and again how Nature points out the folly of men.
202 ms