IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: They *never* make it easy, do they
Yes, I managed to do this on a machine that had an old BIOS, requiring 0->1 sector translation. It had no Windows partition at all, 40g hard disk with /, /usr, and swap. I made /usr part of / and installed sector translation, then used Linux to move over an entire Windows 98 setup from a completely different machine. It was very complex but the end result was seamless Win98/Linux bootage from LILO.

(It's hilarious to watch Windows 98 rebuild itself when grafted whole onto another machine. In the end it runs just fine.)
-drl
New XP is different... the filesystem takes over the whole drive
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Not if you graft it on
You could even graft it down onto FAT32 from NTFS. It will start in partial safe-mode and start reinstalling low-level devices, and could at some point ask for the CD. So just make an image and come up with a way to unpack the image onto hda1 from Linux.

I'll bet it's easier with XP, because the boot process is saner and you can boot from the CD and do a repair. Just make the ERD that XP needs. That'll restore Windows booting, then you start Linux from a bootdisk and re-establish Linux booting with Windows as a secondary boot option.

Both my laptops work this way.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter June 21, 2004, 11:11:53 PM EDT
     So I've given up on VMWare - (drewk) - (23)
         You can trick it... - (folkert)
         Good man, giving up his toys! -NT - (deSitter)
         They *never* make it easy, do they - (drewk) - (16)
             Re: They *never* make it easy, do they - (deSitter) - (2)
                 XP is different... the filesystem takes over the whole drive -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                     Not if you graft it on - (deSitter)
             Not entirely true - (pwhysall) - (12)
                 And all the stuff I find online says not to do that - (drewk) - (11)
                     Sure it does. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                         rofl - (Yendor)
                         Okay Mr. MCP Man - (drewk) - (8)
                             IANP... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 The swap is something I should only have to do once - (drewk)
                             More details, sai - and some answers. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 How do I launch the installer - (drewk) - (4)
                                     Re: How do I launch the installer - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         This isn't stupidity, it's willfull ignorance - (drewk) - (2)
                                             Someone who - (Ashton)
                                             Re: This isn't stupidity, it's willfull ignorance - (deSitter)
         And now I've just given up - (drewk) - (3)
             Whatever you want... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Yeah, and fries - (drewk) - (1)
                     Re: Yeah, and fries - (deSitter)

What exactly do you expect it to do, halt and catch fire?
48 ms