IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New blueberries here
for 4 weeks now. Season should be done in another week or two.

A couple years back I planted 3 bushes because blueberries are amongst my most favorite things to eat. There is also quite a bit of savings involved - what I picked most days(4-5 times a week) would cost $5-10 at the store(say $30 a week).

I figure another year's harvest will pay off what it cost me to plant them. The soil here is clay and blueberries require loose acidic soil. For each bush, I dug a hole 2 feet deep with a 5 feet diameter. I then built up a raised bed using [link|http://www.pavestone.com/retail/retaining.html|pavestone]. I filled in the hole with a mixture of dirt, sand and peat moss. I used the "old dirt" to fill in the low spots in my yard.

The birds discovered them mid-season last year, so this year I got some netting. Per the insructions, I just tossed the netting over the bushes; however, it's a hassle getting underneath to get the berries. The netting snags on berries and branches(broke a few even). I'm going to build a frame for the netting next year, possibly using PVC. Blueberry bushes down here are almost like trees, comparied to what I was used to growing up in Illinois and Wisconsin. One of the bushes is already taller than I am.

I did figure out this year that the berries taste best if you let them set on the counter a day. I haven't tried any recipes yet, I tend to just eat them with a squirt of whipped cream. The new [link|http://www.reddi-wip.com/products/products.html|chocolote whipped cream] is very good on them :-)
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://www.spiceware.org/cgi-bin/spa.pl?album=./Artistic%20Overpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Yum!
Alex

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost. -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher
     Harvested my first tomato of the season! - (a6l6e6x) - (29)
         And you get more! - (ben_tilly)
         ROFL - (admin) - (23)
             Now that's a garden! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 We've got two Brandywine plants started. - (admin) - (2)
                     I am so sick of chain store produce. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Hydroponics or window garden? -NT - (admin)
             What do you do about bugs and critters? - (Another Scott) - (18)
                 Sounds like our fauna exactly - (admin) - (13)
                     Except the rabbits - (Lily) - (12)
                         We battle possums. - (static) - (11)
                             Re: We battle possums. - (Lily) - (10)
                                 Yes, they are dangerous. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                     Had to kill a rabbit last night - (jake123) - (7)
                                         Oh my - (Lily) - (6)
                                             There's a beaver joke in there somewhere -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                 Groan. How does your wife put up with you? -NT - (Lily) - (1)
                                                     Years of practice -NT - (drewk)
                                             Any critter that rousts me out of bed . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                 Okay, now there's a *different* beaver joke in there -NT - (drewk)
                                                 That's what I say :-) -NT - (imqwerky)
                                     Swiss Army "knife"? ITYM Swiss Army *bayonet*, n'est-ce pas? -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Give up - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                     Whachoo talkin bout? - (drewk)
                     crap, maters need 2 things - (boxley)
                 Old threads never die! - (jbrabeck)
         Had to replant and hope - (Silverlock) - (1)
             That's another benefit of the raised gardens... :-P -NT - (admin)
         blueberries here - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Yum! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

We get more play than a 6-disc changer in a bitchin' Camaro.
143 ms