IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Out of curiosity, what skills lacking
guestimate it's probably on the db side?
New Perl and SQL
They are on the resume, and he knew enough for some entry level manipulation. But he never saw the requirements for the job, the headhunter threw him at us.

The second I started in that direction he immediately told me he didn't consider those among his primary skillsets. If we had a junior position open I could see using him there, for a slow ramp up, but not for this one. I'd say it would be at least 3 months of heavy supervision / training before we could trust him to touch any data, sucking down a senior person 25%.

We filled the current full-time position. This interview is for a contracter to tide us over until that guy is fully up to speed. We can't afford 2 people as trainees right now.
New All this for THAT??
A stupid programming syntax? You went to all this trouble for a fucking SYNTAX?

I understand now what is wrong with this business and why I must get out of it. People like you are so shallow you have no way of evaluating actual ability, so you hire the only thing you do know, a syntax, a piece of paper.

I spit on this business and the entire idea of it. God forgive me for making the mistake of thinking I could make an honest living at it. I am being justly punished for turning my back on teaching - but that didn't seem honest and this did. How could I have been so stupid? I curse the day I ever drew the first penny from this miserable, horrible whore's work.

-drl
New What did you SAY?!
bwahaha I still see you have much to speak, without much to say.

Yes, I am not even reading your posts, becuase I have to expend MORE effort to, which I won't.

And Yes, I'll be betting you are frothing about it being Perl and SQL being weak. You effing Bastard, you so damn predictable.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

I did a 10K wheelchair race once. The guy
who pushed me still has the whip-marks.
New Quit feeding him, Greg.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New That'd do it
I've read a couple books on Perl, but I must fess that I don't really get what ties it all together. Every new trick that I'd see look like it was coming from the blue, without being related to any other tricks that I stumbled across. Not really a knock on Perl - lots of people performing lots of useful things in the language, but I just never got my head around it.

However, I'm hoping your latter interviewee lands gainful employment. When it comes to Perl, my interview would go much more like the first candidate.
New The sample program was "interesting"
He was unable to do it on the fly. We were pretty sure he was not going to pass the tech interview, and he told me he could not code it while I waited. But he asked if I could sent it to him and let him try anyway. Fine. I figured it might give me some insight to him in case I tried to place him somewhere else.

He sent it back 2 hours later. It worked. It was OK designed. But it was obvious he had never read a Perl book. He was an Awk programmer who probably did an occasional hack of other people's Perl code.

He confused single item slices with hash items. He did not use strict or warnings. He did not close his files. But he did error on open fails, and the code was neat and well commented, including closing braces. I suspect he might of done a bit of CGI.

I wonder what level of effort it took?

I might find some PL/I or mainframe BAL work for him.
     I'm about to interview a Net God - (broomberg) - (71)
         No questions. - (Yendor) - (22)
             I wish - (broomberg) - (21)
                 Uh, what's so great? - (deSitter) - (20)
                     We'll find out - (broomberg) - (10)
                         Most of the stuff there is searchable content - (folkert) - (9)
                             I know (link added) - (broomberg)
                             Idiot - (deSitter) - (7)
                                 TAKE THE PILLS. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Re: TAKE THE PILLS. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Re: TAKE THE PILLS. - (pwhysall)
                                 Ross... take some time off... - (admin)
                                 Also, you've never seen a DIGITAL support contract. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     WTF do you know what I've seen? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Not a DIGITAL support contract, that's fer shure. -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Umm... Okay. - (folkert) - (8)
                         Not just on it - (broomberg) - (3)
                             Just nod... and ask: - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Why don't you just go outside and jack off? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Ross, Goodbye. - (folkert)
                         Re: Umm... Okay. - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Time to STFU and take the lithium, Ross. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             WOW, I never thought the day I'd say this - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Pshaw. -NT - (Ashton)
         Short question - (pwhysall) - (1)
             :-) -NT - (admin)
         Sure... - (ben_tilly)
         I would ask how the hell the following phrase got - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Re: I would ask how the hell the following phrase got - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Arse... - (folkert)
         Done - (broomberg) - (27)
             Out of curiosity, what skills lacking - (ChrisR) - (6)
                 Perl and SQL - (broomberg) - (5)
                     All this for THAT?? - (deSitter) - (2)
                         What did you SAY?! - (folkert) - (1)
                             Quit feeding him, Greg. -NT - (admin)
                     That'd do it - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         The sample program was "interesting" - (broomberg)
             What, he lacks 7 years of C# expertise?!? (me.duckForCover) -NT - (bbronson)
             late model linux n clustering? -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                 WTF is that supposed to imply? - (deSitter) - (5)
                     You are so clueless now... - (folkert) - (4)
                         No wonder he won't return - fookerism -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Danny-boy - (folkert) - (2)
                                 ENOUGH ALREADY. - (admin) - (1)
                                     Wouldna mattered anyway. He would just kept going. -NT - (folkert)
             Ooh! He knew UNIX! - (deSitter) - (11)
                 Give it a rest. -NT - (admin)
                 Yeah, another brilliant frothing, I am sure. - (folkert) - (2)
                     Greg, you know better... -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Greg, YOU give it a rest (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                 well actually I wish the developers around here knew unix - (boxley) - (6)
                     Well I know it - (deSitter) - (5)
                         Have you checked WUSTL recently? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Already applied - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Good! Keep at it. Luck! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     would be a dream job - (deSitter)
                         they wont even let me work remote except for off hours - (boxley)
         Another day, another Vulture Capitalism script - (Ashton) - (9)
             Try again. - (FuManChu) - (5)
                 Melville understood - (deSitter) - (4)
                     Bzuh? - (FuManChu) - (2)
                         nope, we're idealists in the strict sense :) -NT - (deSitter)
                         Cosmic significance? Why not.. - (Ashton)
                     Koyaanisqaatsi, literally "life out-of-balance"Indians Smart -NT - (Ashton)
             I assume you've seen http://theyrule.net -NT - (drewk)
             That's the main point. - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Re: That's the main point. - (deSitter)
         How many more jobs do you think you can handle at once? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re: How many more jobs do you think you can handle at once? - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Busy I guess - (tuberculosis)
         Some very old computer experience.... - (gdaustin)

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here.
111 ms