IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Check out Infiniband - Tks had not seen it before

In the mid 90s I did some presentations on ATM & how it was likely to provide the needed backbone bandwidth for the Internet to grow. An ISP in Singapore grabbed hold of me after one show & set about explining to me that as good as ATM was, it would lose out to Ether tcp/ip wholely because ATM required replacing what was already working (even if tcp/ip was not super efficient).

He turned out to be right. Am not sure yet if Infiniband fits into this category (will read up on it a bit more).

Tks for the link.

Doug Marker
New Apples and Oranges
ATM was for carriers who needed the small frame with the QOS for voice. It was way too expensive to the average company to use, and the expenses were ongoing. There were comparable speed alternatives at the next level down that most connections used, that were cheaper, and nobody cared about the latency for IP.

Infiniband is not that much more expensive than GB was 2 years ago (if that), while allowing for many times the throughput. Once you buy it, you gain the speed and you are not paying ongoing (unlike the ATM comparison) cost. Once in, nobody is going to sell you on a cheaper alternative. It shows huge expandability based on current tech, just by adding wires.

Can't compare the two.

While you can ride TCP/IP over it, that is a huge waste. Native protocol is MUCH faster. This is not a network technology, this is a bus extender which is faster than all current busses. I think the only thing that compares are memory crossbars in the current SMP boxes. And as a bus extender, you can then build real SMP via building blocks. Or really fast NUMA when the SMP locks get to be too much overhead.
     Looking for people interested in a discussion on GRID ... - (dmarker) - (24)
         Im in give me a few days to catch up on the reading -NT - (boxley) - (13)
             Followed a few of the newsletter links - usual pattern emerg - (dmarker) - (12)
                 What is it? - (deSitter) - (11)
                     As far as I can tell ... - (dmarker) - (10)
                         Re: As far as I can tell ... - (deSitter) - (9)
                             Re: As far as I can tell ... - (dmarker)
                             They used to say that about SMP - (broomberg) - (7)
                                 Re: They used to say that about SMP - (deSitter)
                                 Perhaps I am missing some history, but... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                     I dug up these docs that cover a range of technologies - (dmarker) - (4)
                                         Check out Infiniband - (broomberg) - (3)
                                             Re: Check out Infiniband - Tks had not seen it before - (dmarker) - (1)
                                                 Apples and Oranges - (broomberg)
                                             I found this diag on IBM site - (dmarker)
         I've dealt with Sun Gridware - (broomberg) - (1)
             Re: I had prepared a series of 4 sessions, GRID wasn't - (dmarker)
         xGrid - Apple's take on it - (tuberculosis)
         after looking at the opengrid interface document - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: Yup, Older proven concept but new 'sexy' name - (dmarker)
         Re:Found this link. IBM & China - world's largest GRID... - (dmarker)
         Not just for web services anymore... - (slugbug) - (1)
             Re: Followed these ones ... - (dmarker)
         Summary plus additional thoughts ... - (dmarker) - (1)
             jumping in - (boxley)

I am LRPD of Borg. Refreshing is useless. You will be addicted.
141 ms