IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On second thought...
I'm definitely leaving this for John to handle. Our breakers make no logical sense, and I don't have a clue which one is the kitchen.

I'll give him all your suggestions though, just thought I could do it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Nightowl >8#

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New Now we'll read about John in the Darwin Awards... ;)
New Throw the master
BTW if you can't rotate the bulb out, chances are the solder on the center contact tip melted and it's now welded to the fixture.

Instead of twisting the bulb, try gently but firmly rocking it side to side in the socket, while pulling slightly - that may break the solder weld at the center contact.
-drl
New Re: Throw the master
Hmmm I'll have to find that, didn't know there was a master switch.

I tried to rock it like you said, it seems to give a little, but so far, not loose. Maybe if I do it every now and then, it will eventually come loose.

Great suggestion, Ross.

Nightowl >8#

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New Re: Throw the master
If you can get it a little loose, then start gradually applying a twisting force to it. The point is to break the solder weld at the tip.
-drl
New IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Ross! I just kept going in there and doing it every few minutes, and it finally twisted some! Then I got ahold of it and twisted it loose!!!

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
New So, let's see now...
How many IWETHEYers does it take to change a light bulb?

New Re: So, let's see now...
How many IWETHEYers does it take to change a light bulb?

One Owl and one really smart IWETHEYER to tell her what to do! ;)

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
New You guessed....ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #138641 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=138641|You guessed....ICLRPD]
-----
Steve
New Depends whether the lightbulb is in St. Louis
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New zzzzzzzzzzzzzing!
-----
Steve
New Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzzing!
Much better to have zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing! than

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzappppppppppppppppppppp!!!!! ;)

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
New No doubt.
-----
Steve
New Bird in the bug zapper
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New 13 Points - for good recovery!
New Re: IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lesson - use the next lower wattage bulb.
-drl
New Replacing all the sockets
My brother is gonna help us switch out the sockets in the kitchen soon, with better ones that don't bend and twist up.

But thanks for the tip!

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
New Just make damn sure the "new" ones
aren't *aluminum* (threaded part.. they wouldn't dare use it on the center conductor) Wait; yes, they Would. ie Look at the suckers before purchase.

Tip: run a candle across each new bulb (threaded base) before screwing it in. Seat it, back off and reseat - snug but not "as tight as you can get it before you twist off the wires inside". Prevents seizing.

Usually.
     Lightbulb stuck in socket - (Nightowl) - (28)
         Smash bulb, extract with pliers. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
             No other way, huh? - (Nightowl)
             Re: Smash bulb, extract with pliers. - (qstephens) - (2)
                 Wuss -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Heh.. that was good for some Earl Grey on the keyboard! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         Break it off. - (folkert) - (22)
             Seconded. - (Yendor) - (21)
                 However - (Nightowl) - (20)
                     Re power: - (admin)
                     shut off breaker or pull fuse! - (Steve Lowe) - (18)
                         On second thought... - (Nightowl) - (17)
                             Now we'll read about John in the Darwin Awards... ;) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             Throw the master - (deSitter) - (15)
                                 Re: Throw the master - (Nightowl) - (14)
                                     Re: Throw the master - (deSitter) - (13)
                                         IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! - (Nightowl) - (12)
                                             So, let's see now... - (hnick) - (8)
                                                 Re: So, let's see now... - (Nightowl)
                                                 You guessed....ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                                                 Depends whether the lightbulb is in St. Louis -NT - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                     zzzzzzzzzzzzzing! -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
                                                         Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzzing! - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                             No doubt. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                                             Bird in the bug zapper -NT - (drewk)
                                                             13 Points - for good recovery! -NT - (Ashton)
                                             Re: IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 Replacing all the sockets - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                     Just make damn sure the "new" ones - (Ashton)

It's got cop tires, cop engine, cop suspension...
80 ms