IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay, I'm back...
Putting the alter ego, Screamer, to rest. I'm still too busy to argue/contribute much, but I have been lurking, reading the email, etc. Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Fu**ing Xmas in case I forget. And wanted to wish Karsten back to these fora soon. Content is becoming pretty chit chatty. I emailed him when "the incident" was going on and he expressed a wish that the people (like me) who silently sat that whole thing out, but privately emailed him to let him know that I mostly agreed with him, would let the fora know. I'm letting you know.

I also want to let you know, as me, that part of the reason this community has digressed to this current dreadful state is that familiarity tends to breed complacency. There have been many flip statements made by (for example) Ashton (using him 'cause I know he won't care - he's stalwart) that I have wanted to rip into. But I know Ash's personality so well (perhaps 'cause he is second on the stats list with over 10k posts...) that I figure "why bother"... Even if I do engage him, there will be a deluge of side posts by his cohorts. For example, if I rip into him about politics, I will be engaging not just Ashton, but also Ross, Peter, etc... Okay, enough bitching? How do we make it better? First, we need controversy... Some of the best times I've personally had online were with Merlin, Glass, Marlowe, Tilly, Petreley, DaleRoss (can't believe I'm including him :-), etc... Hell, even CRC has become a lamer these days. These guys have had the "audacity" at times to take extremely controversial stands and then blindly defend them. Without them, we all sit around and exchange pleasantries and try to one up eachother on IQ (albeit trivial IQ - can I make four syllable words flow like snow, can I puntificate, etc).
"I know", "I know", "I couldn't agree with you more completely", "I know"
"What kind of beer is best?"
"I know, I know"

Better than watching Friends reruns, perhaps, but not engaging enough hold attention for very long. "Critics voice, take your choice".

The eulogy I am starting to write for this community may be a bit premature, but unless something radical happens, you'll be losing people like Karsten, right and left... Just give them an excuse.

My $.02
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New It has been a long time
welcome back. I wondered where you were.

Remember when I used to play Devil's Advocate and took Microsoft's side in the DOJ debate? Should I do that again, and risk incuring the wraith of the IWETHEY Groupmind?

Problemm as I see it is that we need differing viewpoints here. Somehow we all tend to become almost the same viewpoints and nothing new is discussed. Just the usual link to an Internet article and some comments on it. Anyone that has a different viewpoint gets blasted, until they start to conform and adapt the same viewpoint as everyone else.

So the challange is to think outside of the box, to have an original viewpoint, and to think up new topics to discuss.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Group mind... I like it.
And you absolutely know that the DOJ got that one wrong. The reason that Microsoft enjoys such high market share is that they provide the highest quality products at a reasonable price. Everyone else is just jealous.

Norm, not meant as a slight that I didn't include you in the incendiary list... Still waiting for CRC to respond to being called a lamer.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Funny you should mention it
we had a substitute teacher last night at college who said just that about Microsoft. He also backed up Wal-Mart's actions.

Not to mention that he said the Outsourcing of IT is all of our faults because IT People were so arrogent, elite, and uncaring, and would not make programs easy to use and instead made them complex. He said that IT people didn't want computers in the hands of everyone and did what they could to keep them out of the consumer and small business markets. That only now are we paying the price for our huburis as we lose our jobs. That those $60K a year jobs were not paid because of skill, but because there was a shortage of people to fill the job.

I tried to talk back and explain the way things are really to him, but he kept cutting me off.

We did invent a GUI and made programs easier to use. The Macintosh and Windows did not take off at first, and only until 1990 or so did they start to sell very well when the technology that was needed to run a GUI effeciently came down in price. There never was a move to keep technology out of anyone's hands, hence the name "Personal Computers". It was for the people, not just businesses.

He makes me want to welcome the original instructor back to the class.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Welcome back, Dan! You forgot Brandi. :)
Alex

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true. -- Demosthenes, Greek orator (384-322 BCE)
New Oh, you are so right.
He was right there as khasim in the Easter Bunny fiasco. Now that was fun... I'm getting old, terrible oversight nonetheless.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Re: Okay, I'm back...
Jeez Dan it ain't that bad.

K could come back. He knows that.
-drl
New Ummmm
Is.

"I know". "I know".
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Damn dan...
...it can't be that bad. I'm still around...and as long as that stays the case...the politics forum should be interesting :-)

Nice to see your face in the place...again.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

It goes in, it must come out.Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]

New You're a lamer too...
You just lean a little more to the right. But you capitulate more these days. Ever since you started hosting parties, you've moved to the center - politically. You are becoming as spineless as some German people I know of. (aiming to get this taken to quarantine yet - but the masterful one is still calculating - shit, he's still sleeping probably) I guess I'm just in the holiday spirit and want to start some crap. Beep, you and Bshitter are right, it ain't that bad. However; I'm still waiting from a tirade from you about what a capitulating piece of crap Howard Dean is. Are the Dems rolling over or what?

:-)
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Deans a loonie
but he's safer than Hillary :-)

But as long as they follow the shining example of backstabbing that is Al Gore...Bush shouldn't have any problems next year.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

It goes in, it must come out.Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]

New Sick Transit, Gloria -- Monday?
Nice try, astirrin the pot.
(Now if only it'd been Georgia Tech 'stead o Notre Dame, in yer futchah! '-)

Involuted? Yup;

No lions to throw to the lawyers.

Only token politico-slogan exchanges, since it takes so Much trouble to try and conjure up a replacement for an abandoned Constitution, and all. No worthy dialogue on such er irrelevant questions as:

WTF does a 'conservative' want to conserve, after he gets the first million?

WTF does an anarchist want done with a speeding ticket?

Who stole the entire allotment of Guts from the 'Demo'crats?

Comfy; as with any other collection of drop-ins.. eventually all the big Issues had their firefight (no decent Xian roasts/defenses since.. Nick pronounced us all Evul - while relishing his Free Pass to watch our roasting from The Throne). Lots standing by for free tickets, rapturin-out - from airplane seats, yet.

Nope, no Kirkegaard, Dostoevsky or Heidegger face-offs. And nobody has a slightest idea about advertisin fer new blood as might want to do more than desultory chatting about er Friends.. was that some Tee Vee thing?

Now lengthy chains of I'm OK/Yer Not ? Why Not!? psych detritus, 'stead of anything much with an idea inside. (besides the moi-moi-moi topic - that's not an idea; that's YAN boring illusion)

Not being able to speak for anyone but moi -- I find that the entire morose, oft lugubrious Plight of our vanishing Republic, our burgeoning Pope Ashcroftian State has, simply dulled all comers (not just at zIWE - Everywhere!)

My theory is merely that, about the unSpeakable - you Just Can't Say Much; outrage can only be expressed individually, according to body-type and early conditioning. And then some Next! outrage occurs - currently, solely from the PNAC-mindset: and,

It's. All. Been. Said.

Nothing new. Just more of the Same Shit, slathered higher and deeper, with the EdJAkayShun resident still proclaiming 180\ufffd lies about "no child left behind cha cha cha" - with no actual Pshaw gettin on the newsfotainment, ever.

Mere impotent croaks from the wimpish sidelines: Repos on a Roll. Demos, til very recently: goin along with the gutting of all things bright&beautiful as once seemed doable (even in this merchandise-besotted sterile wasteland).

Downwards.. as to National Honor and similar inexpressibles.

My Gramma! - [now able-to!] actively building new nukes! (for whatever Fuck-all Cockamamine Next-Use Plan roils in the depraved Rove-o-witz brainpan).

So.. ya gots anything New? Danno - or just more general sophistry du jour..

Ashton
..impatiently awaiting an Overdue next book by Kurt V, to tell us what -currently- we have become.
New Re: Sick Transit, Gloria -- Monday?
Not much more than a sophist can excrete - other than sophistry. The world has gotten in my way most of the last few years. Raising chillens is a lot harder than I ever expected. Throw in the "special needs" stuff to the equation, the endless stream of therapists, etc... Piaget be damned.

Ummm. I'm working very hard at turning chicken shit into chicken salad on daily basis. Years are starting to rush ahead. You know, the typical stuff.

I don't pontificate much any more, it bores my wife and kids. I shop a lot.

Heh, life ain't so bad...

As in most of your correspondences, I send out my perfunctory "natch" back at you per all things politico. As I've said many times as my alter ego, I'm already on the dark side. Come over to my world, Ashton. Nihilism is nothing. Come with me to non-existentialism (ie "I think, therefore: I don't). Living is easy with eyes closed...
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New /me wanders amazingly off-topic
Many years ago, a short-lived comic called "Revolver" carried a story about Dan Dare - Pilot Of The Future. Only this Dan Dare lived in a dystopian future where corruption and malice ran through society like black veins through marble.

The Prime Minister's name? Why, she was called Gloria Monday.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Chilluns will do that
Make ya live in the &$%@# NOW, and all! (And what can be wrong with that?)

Eventually most of us come to realize what "the world of duality" is actually Like: and all the rest is that sound&fury, as the Bard noticed so well.

Hang in there. (Personally, I find the dark-side to be the last refuge of scoundrels, though at least there's more innovation there than amidst the brain-frozen Puritans. Y'know? Is there a worse sin than sharing the tedious conceit of the Certain-folk?)

:-\ufffd
Jesus died for your sins. Make it worth his time.
New {{{{{{HUGS!}}}}}
</aol>

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
     Okay, I'm back... - (danreck) - (15)
         It has been a long time - (orion) - (2)
             Group mind... I like it. - (danreck) - (1)
                 Funny you should mention it - (orion)
         Welcome back, Dan! You forgot Brandi. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Oh, you are so right. - (danreck)
         Re: Okay, I'm back... - (deSitter) - (1)
             Ummmm - (danreck)
         Damn dan... - (bepatient) - (2)
             You're a lamer too... - (danreck) - (1)
                 Deans a loonie - (bepatient)
         Sick Transit, Gloria -- Monday? - (Ashton) - (3)
             Re: Sick Transit, Gloria -- Monday? - (danreck) - (2)
                 /me wanders amazingly off-topic - (pwhysall)
                 Chilluns will do that - (Ashton)
         {{{{{{HUGS!}}}}} - (pwhysall)

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
133 ms