IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines
I have a "high" RPM (5400) drive in my Thinkpad. It's not that bad.

And it's dead quiet. Spookily so.
-drl
New Varying mileage :)
I have seen some decent IBM laptops. I don't deny that some upper level machines are quite nice.

I don't tend to use laptops as my real workspace. I normally use laptops as test machines, which accounts for my point of view. If I use a browser to download a large file, an ISO disk image for example, I notice that it takes about 10 minutes, literally, to copy the image in the tmp directory to the final destination. I put that down to having one platter and one head which has to scurry back and forth to do the copying. I am aware that extra memory would not help that situation particularly. I just used it as an example really poor performance of laptop drives. I try to avoid doing anything that requires any real performance on laptops. They are either target machines or a portable terminal to a machine that I can use to do serious work. They're not bad for catching up on e-mail during boring meetings.

Again, that's just me. Varying mileage, salt, etc.

Hugh

New Re: Varying mileage :)
Don't know about Windows, since it's pointless to measure ANYTHING under Windows (there being no way to really change it) - but ext2 on this A31 is blazing fast due to intelligent caching. A global find command that returns 10s of thousands of files gets entirely cached and runs at processor and memory speed when executed a second time.
-drl
     ME laptop CPU/mem oddity - (tablizer) - (34)
         Re: ME laptop CPU/mem oddity - (deSitter) - (26)
             Choices? - (tablizer) - (25)
                 RAM is cheap - (hnick) - (6)
                     Doesn't more RAM eat up laptop batteries? - (tablizer) - (4)
                         I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines - (hnick) - (3)
                             Re: I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Varying mileage :) - (hnick) - (1)
                                     Re: Varying mileage :) - (deSitter)
                     Re: RAM is cheap - (deSitter)
                 Re: Choices? - (deSitter) - (17)
                     Sheesh. - (Another Scott)
                     If it came pre-installed, it's fine. - (static) - (15)
                         No. - (pwhysall) - (14)
                             and why? - (deSitter)
                             So sure are you... - (static) - (12)
                                 Re: So sure are you... - (deSitter)
                                 ME was pretty universally despised inside Microsoft. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                                     The first thing you do with Me . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                         Au contraire... - (admin) - (7)
                                             Yeah, but the clients get annoyed . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 Yep. - (admin)
                                             *snort* - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (inthane-chan)
                                                 Dunno what color it was. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Refund? - (kmself) - (1)
                                                         Many thanks!! Karsten - (Ashton)
                                 Windows ME and stability - (orion)
         Haha - (pwhysall)
         Get SpyBot Search and Destroy. Get Mozilla Firebird. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Or, AdAware from LavaSoft or both. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             I'm seeing a lot of damage from scumware. - (Andrew Grygus)
             seeing that a lot myself - (SpiceWare)
         current state of things - (tablizer) - (1)
             Licensing agreements. - (inthane-chan)

He clearly said, "To blave".
110 ms