IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RAM is cheap
Go 512Mb minimum. A gig is better. I would not build a machine with less than a Gb any more. The chips are cheap and they make a lot of bottle necks wider.
New Doesn't more RAM eat up laptop batteries?
Plus, I accidently broke the motherboard the last time I tried to install RAM. I tried to be careful, but it did an el-snappo. Had to use rubber bands to keep it together.

Laptops typically have teeny (even though many gigabyte) single platter, single head drives that do not have great throughput. If you want your laptop to perform anything like a desktop machine, you really do not want it spapping to disk any more than necessary. Virtual memory with a slow disk is not your friend.

Just my opinion. Take with as much salt as necessary.

Hugh
New Re: I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines
I have a "high" RPM (5400) drive in my Thinkpad. It's not that bad.

And it's dead quiet. Spookily so.
-drl
New Varying mileage :)
I have seen some decent IBM laptops. I don't deny that some upper level machines are quite nice.

I don't tend to use laptops as my real workspace. I normally use laptops as test machines, which accounts for my point of view. If I use a browser to download a large file, an ISO disk image for example, I notice that it takes about 10 minutes, literally, to copy the image in the tmp directory to the final destination. I put that down to having one platter and one head which has to scurry back and forth to do the copying. I am aware that extra memory would not help that situation particularly. I just used it as an example really poor performance of laptop drives. I try to avoid doing anything that requires any real performance on laptops. They are either target machines or a portable terminal to a machine that I can use to do serious work. They're not bad for catching up on e-mail during boring meetings.

Again, that's just me. Varying mileage, salt, etc.

Hugh

New Re: Varying mileage :)
Don't know about Windows, since it's pointless to measure ANYTHING under Windows (there being no way to really change it) - but ext2 on this A31 is blazing fast due to intelligent caching. A global find command that returns 10s of thousands of files gets entirely cached and runs at processor and memory speed when executed a second time.
-drl
New Re: RAM is cheap
512 is enough. It goddamn well should be.
-drl
     ME laptop CPU/mem oddity - (tablizer) - (34)
         Re: ME laptop CPU/mem oddity - (deSitter) - (26)
             Choices? - (tablizer) - (25)
                 RAM is cheap - (hnick) - (6)
                     Doesn't more RAM eat up laptop batteries? - (tablizer) - (4)
                         I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines - (hnick) - (3)
                             Re: I do tend to think more in terms of desktop machines - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Varying mileage :) - (hnick) - (1)
                                     Re: Varying mileage :) - (deSitter)
                     Re: RAM is cheap - (deSitter)
                 Re: Choices? - (deSitter) - (17)
                     Sheesh. - (Another Scott)
                     If it came pre-installed, it's fine. - (static) - (15)
                         No. - (pwhysall) - (14)
                             and why? - (deSitter)
                             So sure are you... - (static) - (12)
                                 Re: So sure are you... - (deSitter)
                                 ME was pretty universally despised inside Microsoft. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                                     The first thing you do with Me . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                         Au contraire... - (admin) - (7)
                                             Yeah, but the clients get annoyed . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 Yep. - (admin)
                                             *snort* - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (inthane-chan)
                                                 Dunno what color it was. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Refund? - (kmself) - (1)
                                                         Many thanks!! Karsten - (Ashton)
                                 Windows ME and stability - (orion)
         Haha - (pwhysall)
         Get SpyBot Search and Destroy. Get Mozilla Firebird. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Or, AdAware from LavaSoft or both. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             I'm seeing a lot of damage from scumware. - (Andrew Grygus)
             seeing that a lot myself - (SpiceWare)
         current state of things - (tablizer) - (1)
             Licensing agreements. - (inthane-chan)

That's RattenSTEEN.
115 ms