I used to live off of credit cards, had a lot of medical bills I paid with them, etc. Been paying them off, hope to one day have zero credit card debt. One card offered me a 5.99% fixed rate if I transfered over to their card and kept timely payments. So I juggled my credit card debt into that card. It is easy enough to spend $500USD or more a month on a credit card and not really notice it until the bill comes in. It all adds up. I now use credit cards like a loan, to borrow money to pay off later, instead of using them like cash. We too have a Visa check card, for those who don't take checks and debit cards. Plus the Visa check card doesn't need a credit check everytime you use it like a check does. They usually reject my check because I have too many checks I wrote not cashed yet, or too many credit checks on my account in a six month period (not my fault, so many companies check my credit before offering me stuff on the phone, etc, and I have no control over this) or some other lame reason. In 1996 when I got engaged, they rejected my check for the engagement ring, so I went to an ATM, and withdrew $500USD cash and put a downpayment for it with that. Made me so mad. But I never bounced a check, and always make my payments, yet I have endless problems with credit checking companies when I write a check. I only use checks to pay off house bills, which we have no problems with so far.