IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, it could have easily come from X
in the sense that the concept came from there. That doesn't matter that much; what matters is that the functionality is available.

If it showed up in X in '93, it wasn't too long for the functionality to make it's way to my fave platform; the latest version of PageMage came out in mid '95.

When is X going to get a decent OO desktop? When that happens, I might even move over there.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New OO Desktop? Whafor?
I never, ever understood the buzz about the WPS. I just don't get it. All I saw was a hard-to-navigate, ugly desktop with shitty fonts. This was Warp 4.

Can someone please explain it to me?

What's so great about an OO desktop? And while you're at it, what IS an OO desktop? (No cries of "Object-Oriented, you maroon" from the peanut gallery, plzkthx)

You seem right chuffed with it - so what's the deal?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New A few nice things about the WPS
These are mainly things that are better than the Win shell as I have too little experience with the Linux shells to comment on them. And remember these things have been around on OS/2 since 1992. I would hope that some of the Linux shells would have caught up in the last 11 years. :-)

1) Work Areas:
It's a special folder object that remembers the state of its contents. E.g. You can open a Work Area folder, start some Program Refrence objects in that folder. When you're done, you can simply close the WA folder and it'll close the open programs. When you reopen the WA folder, it'll automagically restart the programs that were open when you previously closed the WA.

2) Lots and Lots of customization:
E.g. Each folder can have a different background if you want because each folder is a unique object.

3) Multiple startup folders are possible because the Startup folder is a type of folder, not one that has a special name.

4) It's reasonably simple to backup and transfer your desktop to another machine. You can backup and transfer individual objects to another machine too. You can automate and manipulate the WPS with REXX (the scripting language).

5) Lots and lots of available add-ons to replace/extend the desktop. You can have a Win-like taskbar if you want, or not. You can run OS/2 with the WPS or not.

6) You can move objects between drives and the WPS will automatically keep track of where it was moved to. No brain-damaged broken links like on Windows.

7) It's easy to configure DOS programs to act properly. I still have trouble getting Win32 console-mode programs to come up with the fonts and window size I want when started from the startup folder under Win2k, and there's a text mode DOS program that intermittently hangs under Win2k that's driving me nuts....

8) Drag and drop printing. Drag and drop backups. Lots and lots of D&D functionality.

9) Consistent mouse button actions. Mouse Button 1 (usually the left button) selects an object, MB2 lets you manipulate it. Consistent keyboard shortcuts and a list of them in the Help.

Some drawbacks:
1) It's rather resource hungry so it needs at least 16 MB of RAM. Not much of an issue these days, I know. ;-)

2) It can be rather fragile, but is much more robust than it was in OS/2 2.0.

3) You can't have an animated desktop like you could with OS/2 1.3. :-( E.g. the Deskpic screen saver could have a fish tank with carnivorous fish as your desktop, IIRC. I'm surprised that someone hasn't extended that idea to the more modern OSes.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The main thing is the incredible degree of consistency
Every object class inherits from the class "object". Underneath that are three classes; abstract objects, file system objects, and transient objects... though for practical use you can ignore transient objects, as they exist for very short periods of time (eg, during a d'n'd operation). File system objects are (surprise!) files of different kinds, and abstract objects aren't. A given object (say, "3menandagoat.jpg") can have more than one class associated with it, allowing a great deal of flexibility in how objects can be manipulated. Each object's properties are dealt with in a notebook. Since there is extensive use of inheritance, each object is guaranteed to have some traits in common, lending an extremely consistent methodology of how any given object can be manipulated. Example; file system object -> image file -> gif or file system object -> image file -> jpeg means that all image files have some traits in common, where appropriate, but can be easily set up to have unique traits apropos of the actual file format involved.

You (er, Peter) are twigging on the graphical part, while not getting the underlying object architecture of the desktop. Once you grok the OO part of the desktop, other UIs start to seem clumsy. One of the biggest benefits of it is that you get to organise the data any way you see fit, because the wps will always keep objects and their classes straight for you. So... you want to have your desktop on a different drive? Drag it over. You want to move and rename your System objects (mouse, screen, keyboard, etc)? Go ahead and put them where you want, and call them what you want. You want to organise your documents by customer? No problem. You want to create shadows of said documents by product? Ctrl-drag them to the appropriate product folder. You want to add MP3 playing to the shell? A uni student did it in about six hours of programming, because all he had to do was to take mp3.dll and retrofit it to MMOS2 norms. With it, each MP3 file is part of its class; their notebooks now have a page showing playtime, bitrate, and editable ID3 tags. You want to use the class he created to track them, but use the console player Z!? No problem; go to the object class's template and associate it with Z and make it the default application for the class. Once you get used to the idea that you can easily control how the system handles groups of files, as well as easily control an individual file within said group to behave differently, and to create your own classes with a little rexx programming, other desktops seem confining.

In short, it's very powerful. It puts you in control of how you interact with your data. That's the main reason why us warp bigots are so gung ho about it... we get to make our own decisions about how we want our desktops to be set up.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     More "Stupid" Windows Tricks - (altmann) - (18)
         This is new? - (jake123) - (17)
             Win98 does it too. Don't have Win95 to check. - (altmann) - (16)
                 And yes this is somewhat like browser tabs... - (altmann)
                 Re: Win98 does it too. Don't have Win95 to check. - (jake123) - (10)
                     Sounds like someone's been paying attention to Gnome. - (admin) - (9)
                         Hm - (jake123) - (8)
                             The fact that it's called "XWorkplace" - (admin) - (7)
                                 I think X = extended - (SpiceWare) - (6)
                                     Re: I think X = extended - (admin) - (5)
                                         Okay THIS I know... - (folkert) - (4)
                                             Well, it could have easily come from X - (jake123) - (3)
                                                 OO Desktop? Whafor? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                     A few nice things about the WPS - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         The main thing is the incredible degree of consistency - (jake123)
                 Re: Win98 does it too. Don't have Win95 to check. - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Uh... Right-click on the task bar, AFAIK. HTH! (?) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Re: Uh... Right-click on the task bar, AFAIK. HTH! (?) - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Don't know that one but... - (altmann)

And they're even healthy for you, because I made them with my milk.
80 ms